Starting the drum session in PT - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Starting the drum session in PT
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Starting the drum session in PT

So session time here guys,

Mic the kit, and ready for leveling. Should I have any AUX channels with Comps on there and send them to all the drum tracks at all to avoid going into red? I have never tracked drums myself especially on pt, so im really trying to give it my all without getting a small drum sound
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
U could do that but yet & still U shouldn't let the auxes clip either...
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here's how I do it. I work on a TDM System, so your mileage may vary.

Bus all the channels to a stereo aux and feed that out, say, A 3-4 (or whatever output is going to your phones, assuming they're different from your mains out), to the headphone mixer.

Strap an L1 on the aux, hardly hit it at all, it's just there to keep the aux from overloading if the guys get excited.

Send only what you need to the phones. Most of the time the drummer won't need that much of the overheads, start around -16 or so, they don't usually need toms or room mics either. Just feed kick, snare, and a bit of overs and it should help keep the headphone wash to a minimum.

Try to avoid doing anything that will incur latency while tracking on an LE system. So keep the plugs off at this stage. Nothing kills a groove faster than your phones sounding like a slapback echo.

Oh, and lastly, if you're recording audience perspective, make sure you flip around the overheads in the drum phones mix... it throws off the drummer hearing the hihat in the wrong ear.

EDIT: and if you're worried about the click track bleeding through the phones into your kit mics, put a lowpass filter on the click and adjust the cutoff frequency to get the best blend of clarity versus bleed.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…