Quantcast
D/A--->A/D degradation - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D/A--->A/D degradation
Old 22nd January 2009

🎧 10 years
D/A--->A/D degradation

So yea, a good A/D can ultimately lead to more accurate recordings...but once something is captured with a lower end a/d, like my Motu 828mk2, does repeated trips in and out of the digital realm really matter?

I was using the null-method to calculate the latency induced by running a drack out of my DAW, through the 828 D/A, into an outboard compressor (in this case a FMR RNC), back through the 828 A/D, and into an aux track in my DAW. (I use digital performer, so it's a 'v-rack' aux input). I then used Expert Sleepers' Latency Fixer to compensate for this latency, it was something like 2169 samples @ 512K buffer setting. I placed this plugin on an insert i was sending to the compressor. I then duplicated the track, without the latency plug, and flipped its phase. With the RNC bypassed (it's a true bypass), i'd hit play and hear nothing at normal monitoring levels. Pretty much total cancellation. Flip the phase, and the two tracks sum together, and sound twice as loud.

Am i missing something here? because it would seem like, to me, that the extra conversion had little to no effect on the signal. I would expect a 'low-end' converter like the 828 to audibly degrade the sound after reading so many endless posts lauding 3K+ converters.

anyway, screw it, im going to run all my outboard gear, pricey converters or not.
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey ➡️
Am i missing something here? because it would seem like, to me, that the extra conversion had little to no effect on the signal. I would expect a 'low-end' converter like the 828 to audibly degrade the sound after reading so many endless posts lauding 3K+ converters.

Makes you wonder about all those posts...

Actually, some of the most popular converters don't null as completely. The "sound" of the converters may be pleasing, but it's not accurate. I guess it comes down to where you want to add that euphonic touch (I don't want it in my converters, personally).

-tINY

Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If your Motu converter is a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 then the first time you go A-D you will only record a 7 in terms of quality from the original source. After that if the signal you D-A is still a 7, then all of the repeated trips in and out will continue to be a 7 quality, as long as your outboard gear is not degrading the sound by adding distortion or noise, and in your case, the FMR RNC is very transparent and clean (I know cuz I have one).

In other words, yes you will be able to get better source A-D with better convertors, but once its recorded its as good as its gonna be digitally.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Not quite.

If there is significant degradation, you will be able to hear it on the second time trough. Most infidelity is additive.

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What are you even talking about, Zacheus83 ?

Are you trying to say that your converter is going to look at the source of the audio, and say "Hmmm. This audio looks like it's first-generation. So I think I'll be a 7 right now. Later on, if they want to throw second-generation at me, then I'll be a 10. But for now, I think I'd rather be a 7."

Conversion is a mature technology, and because of the high demand for it in the consumer market, microchips are produced at a large enough scale to where a high level of it is really affordable. "High end" converters are a way for some companies to make more money. That's all it is. As long as there are people who will pay more for them and there's a market, then someone will be there to fill it -- regardless of the negligable and sometimes nonexistent benefit they may provide.
📝 Reply