Quantcast
Abbey Roads for use in recordings... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Abbey Roads for use in recordings...
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Abbey Roads for use in recordings...

Hello. I have searched Abbey Roads stuff on this forum, but didn't get what I was after...

I've been making electronic music for a little while and my style has developed into a strictly electronic, but organic sound (well, I thats at least where I want to go...) I've been interested in the UAD stuff, but literally can't, and to be fair, I'd prefer to stay native.

I've been doing sideline freelance work, doing mobile sound recording for singer/songwriters in their home. I've been getting some really nice recordings, but when it comes to mixing them down for the people, I just lack the tools I think... I record mostly acoustic guitar, vocals, piano...

I use Ableton Live for my own productions and Logic for recording/mixing.

I've tried a demo of the Abbey Roads bundle a little while back and was impressed, and they do seem to get good reviews. But at the time, I was only really trying them on my electronic productions and not any of my recorded material. Even then I found them amazing sounding, but I wonder...

Would it be a good pack to get to really make these recordings I'm making (and my own productions) shine? ... The deal they are having right now is very tempting, but I'm a little unsure to make the leap, as I don't really own anything professional beyond my Sonalksis Essential pack.

These Abbey Roads plugs would really help me get my recordings sounding professional? I like the idea of having my Sonalksis Essential pack for my 'clean' and 'transparant' (but still with a little character) processors. But seriously lack on some character. Like I say, the UAD stuff would be great, but I don't have that option, and really, I'd like to stay native...

?
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It never hurts to invest in better equipment, but I hesitate to spur you on to buy anything you seem to believe will be THE magic bullet, because I fear you would only be disappointed when you discovered that having a bitchen compressor or eq doesn't make your recordings instantly better.

You say you've used the demo versions, but if you were so won-over by them, why are you asking our opinion, y'know? It sounds like you're being seduced by the price of the bundle, which I only point out to say I've been had that way myself and gone on to regret it. Buy only what you need.

My own experience, for whatever it's worth, is that investing in mics, physical pre's, and converters is the best thing you can do. The physical equipment yields the steak, whereas plugs are more like the au poivre sauce -- nice, but often unnecessary.

Best of luck in your decision.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaperdida ➑️
It never hurts to invest in better equipment, but I hesitate to spur you on to buy anything you seem to believe will be THE magic bullet, because I fear you would only be disappointed when you discovered that having a bitchen compressor or eq doesn't make your recordings instantly better.

You say you've used the demo versions, but if you were so won-over by them, why are you asking our opinion, y'know? It sounds like you're being seduced by the price of the bundle, which I only point out to say I've been had that way myself and gone on to regret it. Buy only what you need.

My own experience, for whatever it's worth, is that investing in mics, physical pre's, and converters is the best thing you can do. The physical equipment yields the steak, whereas plugs are more like the au poivre sauce -- nice, but often unnecessary.

Best of luck in your decision.
Oh, I'm certainly being seduced by the new bundle price... No doubt about it. I'm not ashamed of that. But I'm in a position where I just haven't got (or had) experience with top end hardware equipment and the like. I've always been in the 'digital' realm, if you like. I was blown away with the demos, though they were incredibly subtle, but at the time I only used them on my electronic productions... Juicing up synth lines with the Compressor, adding character to thin pads with the Tone, rounding off the bottom end of sub bass with the Filter, punchy drum tracks with the Limiter, brightening sampled vinyl parts with Brilliance...

...but that was about 4 months ago. My demos have run out and though I've asked Abbey Roads for another trial, I never got a reply.

So... I suppose I'm asking, because I've recently been getting into this sound recording lark. I have my M-Audio ProFire2626, my PowerBook G4 Mac, my AKG C414 B-XLS microphone... Rememeber though, I'm not offering 'super high professional results' here... I'm a guy with a laptop who wants to do great results for singer/songwriters so they have a really nice demo for their own promotion purposes...

So I wanted to ask... These plugs really are great aren't they? If I thought they were good on electronically produced sounds, they'd be amazing for me to use for vocals, guitar etc? ...or, does Logic Studio really offer me everything I would need for such work?

I grew up on Beatles and Pink Floyd, and have always loved that 'vintage' sound.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejim84 ➑️
Oh, I'm certainly being seduced by the new bundle price... No doubt about it. I'm not ashamed of that. But I'm in a position where I just haven't got (or had) experience with top end hardware equipment and the like. I've always been in the 'digital' realm, if you like. I was blown away with the demos, though they were incredibly subtle, but at the time I only used them on my electronic productions... Juicing up synth lines with the Compressor, adding character to thin pads with the Tone, rounding off the bottom end of sub bass with the Filter, punchy drum tracks with the Limiter, brightening sampled vinyl parts with Brilliance...

...but that was about 4 months ago. My demos have run out and though I've asked Abbey Roads for another trial, I never got a reply.

So... I suppose I'm asking, because I've recently been getting into this sound recording lark. I have my M-Audio ProFire2626, my PowerBook G4 Mac, my AKG C414 B-XLS microphone... Rememeber though, I'm not offering 'super high professional results' here... I'm a guy with a laptop who wants to do great results for singer/songwriters so they have a really nice demo for their own promotion purposes...

So I wanted to ask... These plugs really are great aren't they? If I thought they were good on electronically produced sounds, they'd be amazing for me to use for vocals, guitar etc? ...or, does Logic Studio really offer me everything I would need for such work

I grew up on Beatles and Pink Floyd, and have always loved that 'vintage' sound.
For what you want to do, your rig looks fine, mate -- but I'd recommend test-driving PSP's Vintage Warmer before you commit. With the money you save, you could get an SM57 to widen your sound palette, and put the rest towards some future purchase. None of this to say the VW is the same as the Abbey Rd. plugs, but it's a versatile plug with an equivalent quality of sound.

PSPaudioware.com - audio processors and effects plug-ins in VST, DirectX, MAS, AudioUnit, RTAS format for Mac and PC

Last edited by balaperdida; 22nd January 2009 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Added link
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaperdida ➑️
For what you want to do, your rig looks fine, mate -- but I'd recommend test-driving PSP's Vintage Warmer before you commit. With the money you save, you could get an SM57 to widen your sound palette, and put the rest towards some future purchase. None of this to say the VW is the same as the Abbey Rd. plugs, but it's a versatile plug with an equivalent quality of sound.

PSPaudioware.com - audio processors and effects plug-ins in VST, DirectX, MAS, AudioUnit, RTAS format for Mac and PC
Really? Maybe I wasn't using it right, but I always found the VintageWarmer to sound 'boxy'. It seems to quickly muddle up things for me... But again, I could of just been using it wrong to be fair.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Really? Maybe I wasn't using it right, but I always found the VintageWarmer to sound 'boxy'. It seems to quickly muddle up things for me... But again, I could of just been using it wrong to be fair.
I haven't really had that problem, but to thine own self be true
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the Abbey Road limiter bundle for sale if you want it (selling as the studio I work at has the same plugins already). It's one of the most useful compressors I've used, in terms of getting drums/beats to glue together. Its also got bags of character in the bottom end so helps to seperate sounds from one another (ie drums and bass). Awesome on vocals as well.

PM me if your interested, I've got a good price on it right now.

Cheers

Al
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the offer dude, but I want to whole pack to be honest.

I think I should go at this with a different approach...

To people who have been using the Abbey Roads plugins, if I was to buy the entire bundle, these plugs are very versitile right?

For general use on not only electronic sounds, but on vocals, guitar, piano etc... Would you say that, seeing that UAD is not an option, this suite of plug ins from Abbey Roads give me some character to my rather 'sterile' set of current plugs, and is versitile enough to use across many different types of material?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I'm currently enjoying the Brilliance Pack. They are my favorite software EQs, it's as simple as that. There are others that are amazing, like Flux Epure, but I don't treat them the same at all. The Brilliance EQs are in every session where I EQ nowadays. But versatile? No way. They are one trick pony's... The cool thing is that this one trick works all the time!
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You could try doing a search on Abbey Road, without the plural.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Knowledge trumps tools.

There are a lot of entirely decent free plug in FX that you can use to learn your chops and then -- when you know what you're doing -- you'll have some assurance that you're buying the tool set that will best work for you.

First learn... then burn... dough, that is.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
Knowledge trumps tools.

There are a lot of entirely decent free plug in FX that you can use to learn your chops and then -- when you know what you're doing -- you'll have some assurance that you're buying the tool set that will best work for you.

First learn... then burn... dough, that is.
This is good advice.... maybe great advice!?

That being said, the Abbey road limiter and mastering bundle are certainly in my top 10 plugins that I've ever heard....
They're seriously OUTSTANDING.
Can't go wrong buying them in my opinion.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello. I have searched Abbey Roads stuff on this forum, but didn't get what I was after...

I've been making electronic music for a little while and my style has developed into a strictly electronic, but organic sound (well, I thats at least where I want to go...) I've been interested in the UAD stuff, but literally can't, and to be fair, I'd prefer to stay native.

I've been doing sideline freelance work, doing mobile sound recording for singer/songwriters in their home. I've been getting some really nice recordings, but when it comes to mixing them down for the people, I just lack the tools I think... I record mostly acoustic guitar, vocals, piano...

I use Ableton Live for my own productions and Logic for recording/mixing.

I've tried a demo of the Abbey Roads bundle a little while back and was impressed, and they do seem to get good reviews. But at the time, I was only really trying them on my electronic productions and not any of my recorded material. Even then I found them amazing sounding, but I wonder...

Would it be a good pack to get to really make these recordings I'm making (and my own productions) shine? ... The deal they are having right now is very tempting, but I'm a little unsure to make the leap, as I don't really own anything professional beyond my Sonalksis Essential pack.

These Abbey Roads plugs would really help me get my recordings sounding professional? I like the idea of having my Sonalksis Essential pack for my 'clean' and 'transparant' (but still with a little character) processors. But seriously lack on some character. Like I say, the UAD stuff would be great, but I don't have that option, and really, I'd like to stay native...

?

The Abbey Road Limiter/compressor is the most ''musical'' plug I've ever heard and I use it for Mastering purposes even if they have a ''Mastering'' pack. However, the Sonalksis that you have is already a formidable tool.
πŸ“ Reply