Quantcast
Can an RNP drive a Fat Head? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can an RNP drive a Fat Head?
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can an RNP drive a Fat Head?

Does an RNP (with RNC) have enough gain to drive a Cascade Fat Head or similar ribbon mic?
Old 21st January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
Does an RNP (with RNC) have enough gain to drive a Cascade Fat Head or similar ribbon mic?
Depends on the source I would think. The RNP is great with the AEA R92, R84, R88, R121, Naked Eye, [I could go on here] so I've basically never had a issue with the RNP with ribbons, but you may want to save some dough and go for the AEA T.R.P, which is undeniably one of the best options for ribbons you'll find out there. The Great River ME1NV ain't too shabby either!!!
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Depends on the source I would think. The RNP is great with the AEA R92, R84, R88, R121, Naked Eye, [I could go on here] so I've basically never had a issue with the RNP with ribbons, but you may want to save some dough and go for the AEA T.R.P, which is undeniably one of the best options for ribbons you'll find out there. The Great River ME1NV ain't too shabby either!!!
Thanks. Was toying with the idea of picking up a Fat Head for micing guitar cabs, reamping, etc.

I'd imagine, based on your reply ("depends on the source") that with the Fat Head into the RNP, with an RNC inserted, stuck in front of a loud guitar amp, I should be ok, right?

The ME-1NV is definitely on my list of acquisitions this year, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks. Was toying with the idea of picking up a Fat Head for micing guitar cabs, reamping, etc.

I'd imagine, based on your reply ("depends on the source") that with the Fat Head into the RNP, with an RNC inserted, stuck in front of a loud guitar amp, I should be ok, right?

The ME-1NV is definitely on my list of acquisitions this year, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I would think that would be fine. You won't know until you try it with your setup though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Adam is right, of course...you won't really know until you try it on that particular source, but I use an RNP/Fat Head combo all the time on guitars. I don't have a big problem with the RNP not having enough gain to drive it.

Frank
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You should be fine, depending on the source.

Just the other day I used an RNP to drive a pair of fatheads on overheads/room drum mics and they sound great with a little air added.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Funny this post came up. We've tried on a number of occasions to get the RNP to drive a pair of Fatheads. The clean levels were always extremely low and upon raising the gain level we overloaded.

We resorted to a Mackie pre which worked fine.

🎧 10 years
the RNP has plenty of headroom. you should be able to track drums through it without clipping. The gain pot is in 6dB steps, so maybe you need a trim to hit the sweet spot inbetween. I use a RNC for that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've recorded amps with ribbon mics using the RNP many times.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I successfully recorded an fingerpicked steel string track using an ML52 ribbon, modded with a Lundahl tranny, using the RNP. Sounded really nice, and no gain issues. The Lundahl tranny did raise the output of the mic by at least 6 db over the stock version, but even so . . .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, all those posts are very encouraging. I didn't suspect there would be a problem. Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I should probably couple it with an RNC to bridge the gain gap. Went to the Mackie first.

Thanks. Will give that a try.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldstone ➑️
Yeah, I should probably couple it with an RNC to bridge the gain gap. Went to the Mackie first.

Thanks. Will give that a try.
np. works for me. they make for a stellar combo on a budget.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I own this combo as well and it works very well...
πŸ“ Reply