Quantcast
Gauge ECM-87...just another Chinese OEM or something better?... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gauge ECM-87...just another Chinese OEM or something better?...
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gauge ECM-87...just another Chinese OEM or something better?...

...heard a bit of buzz about these mics...the names behind them are certainly reputable in pop music today, but the question remains...OEM or custom designed?...anybody try one yet?...price is right (including pop filter) but do they really sound better than the multitude of OEM variations flooding the marketplace?...feel free to comment...

GAUGE MICROPHONES - CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't answer to whether others sound better, but I do have one and will say that you'll be hard pressed to find anything else this good for this price ($149), and also that these guys personally inspect and test each mic they send out...if it's not up to speed, they send it back.

So, bottom line is these mics are not going to save the world, but they are definitely good mics at an exceptional price, sold by trustworthy people who keep their price down by skipping all the advertising and packaging.

These things really shine when recording acoustic guitar. They also work well for vocals and amps, but they're killer on acoustic guitar.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yeah im really tempted too, probably better than any other ldc for 150
also interested in hearing some reviews
Gear Guru
I'm def buying one next month, I heard all the artists using it and it sounds wonderful. Less bass than U87, but I would probably cut it off anyway.
Gear Guru
btw, they're not really 149, more like 169 with sales tax?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have one. For the price it's very good. It's not the greatest on vocals (although very serviceable) but it does kill on acoustic guitar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, with tax it's 160 something. But I think you'll find this mic is not the usual buck-and-a-half offering---it competes with others that cost two or three times as much.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter ➑️
I have one. For the price it's very good. It's not the greatest on vocals (although very serviceable) but it does kill on acoustic guitar.
Are you sure about that? I've heard the samples, I've checked the endorsed artist websites and it sounds fantastic... What was not good about it for vocals? Which preamp did you use?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I meant to post this question here but I posted it on another thread on accident.

Does anyone who owns the mic know how it performs as a drum overhead. I saw on the site that it is great for three things vocals, acoustic guitar, and drums. But they don't have any drum clips.

Right now I have my pair of M177 on overheads but I'd prefer them on my toms. I figured this might be a cool set of mics if indeed they perform just about as good as a U87.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I looked at the website...listened to the audio samples and decided to drop the extra cash and buy a KEL HM-7u instead....should get it in a few days...."The waiting is the hardest part" !!!

David B
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler59 ➑️
I looked at the website...listened to the audio samples and decided to drop the extra cash and buy a KEL HM-7u instead....should get it in a few days...."The waiting is the hardest part" !!!

David B
We're in the same boat! I'm getting mine possibly tomorrow But I will buy the Gauge Microphone soon too. All the artist endorsing it sound great with the mic.
Gear Guru
I just think they have less bass then the U87, and a little bit harsher highs, but I think it sounds great for vocals. I usually use the bass roll off on my preamp anyway, so if it's done already, I don't mind at all haha.

Listen to this sample:

http://www.michaelheart.com/music/DENIAL.mp3
http://www.michaelheart.com/music/WANNA_BE_BAD.mp3

He uses it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't tried it on drums...but I wouldn't feel comfortable viewing this mic as an alternate to a Neumann U87. I know that website comparison is pretty stunning, but it's probably more realistic to compare this one other Chinese mics in the 300-700 dollar range.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Whats up guys...
For $149 + sales tax.. Sounds like a good deal to me too.. Getting mine in a few weeks.. One quick question.. for vocals what Pre do you guys recommend with this LDC.. i have an MBox2 Mini.. Looking for a budget Pre to pair it with.. and something good for acoustic guitars too..

Thanks...

Also said thru an e-mail sent to me from one of the owners.. On the first days of Feb.. they will announce a new Gauge model.. Keep you guys posted if anything..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensonix Studios ➑️
Whats up guys...
For $149 + sales tax.. Sounds like a good deal to me too.. Getting mine in a few weeks.. One quick question.. for vocals what Pre do you guys recommend with this LDC.. i have an MBox2 Mini.. Looking for a budget Pre to pair it with.. and something good for acoustic guitars too..

...a great inexpensive mic pre would be the M-audio DMP3...
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...heard a bit of buzz about these mics...the names behind them are certainly reputable in pop music today, but the question remains...OEM or custom designed?...anybody try one yet?...price is right (including pop filter) but do they really sound better than the multitude of OEM variations flooding the marketplace?...feel free to comment...

GAUGE MICROPHONES - CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
OEM with undetermined-vendor capsule.

The MXL 2003 / 603 package remains just about the best value in Chinese microphones available. The 2003 has a very flat, non-hyped Beijing 797 Audio capsule (generally regarded as the best OEM supplier). The small diaphragm 603's capsule was intended to copy the capsule used in the KM-84.

Two proven Chinese mics that have distinquished themselves from the pack with lots of rave user reviews - all for $169.95, no tax and free shipping.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn! Doesn't get much cheaper than that, pricewise.
Gear Guru
I guess I'll wait for the beginning of February.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...a great inexpensive mic pre would be the M-audio DMP3...
Sorry to ask some many questions.. what about a good inexpensive tube-preamp..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You know, I have one of those Presonus TubePREs that worked well with my SM-58...but with the Gauge, it's all noise, so I've just been plugging the Gauge direct. Wonder if I'm missing something there...
Gear Guru
Quote:
Art MPA Gold (you need to change the stock tubes), Studio Projects VTB-1 and Presonus Tubepre... That's pretty much it?

You need to spend at least 350-400 to get a good tube preamp.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was thinking of the PreSonus BlueTube DP.. for Stereo.. and maybe switching out the tubes.. you guys ever heard of SM Pro Audio TB202 that has EQ's and Compressors.. what do you think of that?.. and for use with an MBox2 Mini.. I would go 1/4 outs of the pre's to 1/4 line-in.. to by-pass the stock pre right... just making sure.. with out no signal loss nor noise..
Old 15th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can some of the owners give updates....

So far I love my Gauge...I found a secret to getting a killer sound. Each of the compressors except LA3A are done very light only 1-2db or less.
  • Mic Direct (just soundcard preamp)(No compression)
  • 24 bit 44.1 recording
  • Waves De Ess
  • Nebula3 (2 instances-one for analog console second for tape simulation)
  • UAD 1073
  • UAD 88RS
  • UAD LA3A
  • UAD Precision Limiter
Old 15th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I bought two of the ECM 87s and two of the ECM 47 tube mics. The 47's come in a sturdy wooden box, with that and the powersupply, pop screen, cradle and lots of cable all in an aluminium briefcase. Both models are great value for money, although the 87 has some hyped upper frequencies. Works well for acoustic guitar, both nylon and steel string. The 87 is warmer (flatter), but not quite as dynamic.
Old 17th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Russell ➑️
I bought two of the ECM 87s and two of the ECM 47 tube mics...Both models are great value for money, although the 87 has some hyped upper frequencies. Works well for acoustic guitar, both nylon and steel string. The 87 is warmer (flatter), but not quite as dynamic.
I think there might be a typo above. Which one is warmer?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The 87 sounds warmer because it doesn't have the high end bump that the 47 does.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now I'm really confused. Could you take a picture or describe the capsule backplate perforations in the ECM 47 mic? Does the backplate of the ECM 47 capsule look like the one on the left or right below?
Attached Thumbnails
Gauge ECM-87...just another Chinese OEM or something better?...-k67k47rev3.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Now I'm really confused. Could you take a picture or describe the capsule backplate perforations in the ECM 47 mic?
I can unscrew the body to see the circuitry and the tube, but it's not clear how to take the mesh off the main capsule. I can confirm that the response graphs on the Gauge Technical Specifications page on their website confirm what my ears are telling me, that whether cardiod, omni or figure 8, the ECM47 has a much more pronounced presence.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, its usually pretty hard to see the backplate holes through the grill. If you're feeling really adventurous you can remove the two or three screws holding the headbasket onto the frame to remove the headbasket.

I guess what throws me off is the model number - "47". Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't expect a mic with a "47" model number to have 10dB peak at 14kHz. The published response curve is more similar to an edge-terminated capsule like what is found in the C12 or 251. But as best as I can tell from photos is the ECM 47 appears to have a center terminated capsule. I'm not saying it doesn't sound good (never heard it), just that I'm trying to understand what type of capsule is used in this mic and how the system response shows such a pronounced peak.

If you look into the grille, do you see a terminal / wire in the center of the diaphragm?
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Yeah, its usually pretty hard to see the backplate holes through the grill. If you're feeling really adventurous you can remove the two or three screws holding the headbasket onto the frame to remove the headbasket.

I guess what throws me off is the model number - "47". Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't expect a mic with a "47" model number to have 10dB peak at 14kHz. The published response curve is more similar to an edge-terminated capsule like what is found in the C12 or 251. But as best as I can tell from photos is the ECM 47 appears to have a center terminated capsule. I'm not saying it doesn't sound good (never heard it), just that I'm trying to understand what type of capsule is used in this mic and how the system response shows such a pronounced peak.

If you look into the grille, do you see a terminal / wire in the center of the diaphragm?
Why don't you just e-mail Rob and Chandler and ask them? Seems like a much simpler way to get the answers you are looking for.
πŸ“ Reply