Quantcast
Gauge ECM-87...just another Chinese OEM or something better?... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gauge ECM-87...just another Chinese OEM or something better?...
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Yeah, its usually pretty hard to see the backplate holes through the grill. If you're feeling really adventurous you can remove the two or three screws holding the headbasket onto the frame to remove the headbasket.
Sorry, I'm not feeling that adventurous. The grill is quite dense and it's hard to see in, but at the front of the diaphragm looks to be a center mounted contact.

Last edited by Paul Russell; 18th August 2009 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter ➑️
Why don't you just e-mail Rob and Chandler and ask them? Seems like a much simpler way to get the answers you are looking for.
I have been in contact with Chandler and he knows he's welcome to stop in here if his schedule permits. But to your question, sometimes I assume a "Columbo-like" devil's advocate role and posit questions in public that I hope will get people thinking and talking about microphones in a deeper way than "it rocks" or "it sounds like ass" - and that means talking about headbaskets, capsule types, frequency response, polar patterns and circuits. Besides, every mic I personally want to understand I will buy and analyze.
Old 10th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quoted from recordinghacks.com

"The mic’s capsule is a 6-micron, 32mm center-terminated design, and is the same K67-style capsule used in many other imported Chinese LDCs. It has a fixed cardioid pattern."

Rob Chiarelli
"Although our capsules are made from the same place [as the capsules in similar mics], they are made to higher tolerances and are stamped with a unique serial number on the capsule housing from QC."

Read more: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Gauge/ECM-87#ixzz1LxbqPVLH"

Cheers
Old 11th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I notice those guys have got a fake SM58 too for $58 (rather than 25 or 30). I wonder if that means we're getting closer to the point of having 57/58 clones that are actually worth something. Shame if it sounds just like all the other ones, only costs more.

Take Care (and sorry for the OT)
Old 21st January 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Guage Mics

I got a loaner from Rob and Chandler - brought it in the studio while tracking vocals for a record and put it next to my U87. The artist LOVED it and I ended up using it for the whole record. Rob and Chandler have mixed a lot of records for me over the years and yes, I was skeptical because of the price, very skeptical in fact. The ECM87 is a VERY solid mic with a character all its own. I have 87,s 414's, C12, U67, 147, etc. and the Guage ECM-87 has earned its way into my microphone closet!

BTW - it almost cannot be beaten between the snare and kick drum on the drummers side of the kit (the crotch mic). It delivers the perfect amount of
trash to make the kit come alive with no eq and just a little comp.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...I'm hoping to get a loaner ECM-47 from Rob for testing, now that they are back in stock...looking forward to hearing the mic on vocals...
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sell you my ECM-87 cheap...make me an offer..guarantee it is mint.
Old 29th February 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
anyone tried the ECM-58? really curious how it stacks up against shure 58's/57's.

also anyone tried the ECM-87 on a guitar cab?
Old 5th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just used the ECM-87 on a song with a female artist--we both preferred it instantly over the KSM44. Her voice is thin and raspy--the KSM was ok, but "grainy," in the UM/HF range, where the Ecm was smoother, almost saturated like a tube mic, and "warmer," like a bit of boost in the low-mids. Took EQ well and stacked well. This was into an rme ucx.

Great mic for the price.
Old 19th May 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Bump

What's the difference between the ECM-87 STEALTH and just the regular ECM-87?
Anyone know??
Old 19th May 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAshmore ➑️
Bump

What's the difference between the ECM-87 STEALTH and just the regular ECM-87?
Anyone know??
Aside from the cosmetic differences, it appears to be the same mic as the ECM-87 (which uses an MXL v57 circuit board and capsule) but with an open mesh headbasket inspired by Michael Joly's work.
Old 19th May 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sweet! Thanks! Might pick one up next week...
πŸ“ Reply