need advice on affordale condensers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
need advice on affordale condensers
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
need advice on affordale condensers

Let's say my budget is at about $500

I need 2 overhead condensers as well as one for High hat and one for underneath snare. However if bottom snare mic can be ignored for the sake of a decent vocal mic (not necessarily condenser) by all means recommend one. also feel free to say, "hey man, you ain't gettin anything decent with that much coin." tutt

thank you
Old 21st January 2009
kit
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MXL 603s, I like 'em others may not as much.

Kit
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't own one (yet), but lots of people around here like the CAD m179 for an all around good sounding condenser mic for cheap. They can be had for about $150 each. It's multi pattern and can be used on just about any source with decent results. You could get a few of those plus a used sm57 for $500.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a M179, and if I had the money I'd buy another right now
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'll second the M179 and if budget is an issue, get the fixed cardiod version, the M177 for even less.

I have a couple of each and love them.
Old 21st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chim Richalds ➑️
Let's say my budget is at about $500

I need 2 overhead condensers as well as one for High hat and one for underneath snare. However if bottom snare mic can be ignored for the sake of a decent vocal mic (not necessarily condenser) by all means recommend one. also feel free to say, "hey man, you ain't gettin anything decent with that much coin." tutt

thank you
I purchased my Oktava MK 012's several years ago. I rarely ever need an isolated snare or hi hat mic. They are well worth the extra cost. I also had the mod done this year at OktavaMod and frankly they cant be beat. I use them on everything. Hella great mic and you can even buy different capsules.

A pair will stick with you forever.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

If you have a good sounding room, a pair of Kel HM-1 is hard to beat at their price.

Then take the other $200 and get a CAD M179 for the HH...

Just for overheads, the $225 ATM450 is tough to bead, but that would eat up almost your whole budget on OH mics.

-tINY

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sacreligious I know but what about shooting your budget on just a stereo pair and forget the spots? A well placed coincident pair just over the drummer's head, position tweaked for balance can be magic. A used pair of Pelsuo CEMC6s would do nicely.
Old 21st January 2009
Deleted User
Audio technica 2020s are great
they also have a model and there about 200 a mic there great aswell.
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
ok so taking these mics into consideration, which would you guys vote is the best deal?

single mic price:

MXL 603 $100
CAD m177 $130
CAD m179 $150
Kel HM-1 $150
ATM450 $150

I picked these out of the ones listed becuase these are workable in price. I realize most combinations of 4 of these mics is going to be over 500 but at least its narrowed down a little.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
you know what, add NT5's to the list i just saw a good deal on ebay

suggestions?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cad m179
atm450
AT 3031 (now discontinued - but you can still find them new)
Rode NT5
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
does anyone have anything to say about the Studio Projects B1? I read good reviews but no one's mentioned it yet
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

At $150 each, I'd get two ATM450 for overhead. Get a M179 for vox and HH.

Who needs a bottom snare mic if your budget is so tight? I assume you have a decent mic for kick....

-tINY

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
im going to get either the d112 or audix d6. leaning towards the akg

after reading reviews, right now im leaning towards getting matched pairs of NT5's and Sp b1's. i will read more on ATM450's though.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
B1s are very bright mics. You'll have to EQ the hell out of them if you're using them as overheads. ATM450s are great. You can fit them anywhere. What about a Rode stereo condensor? I've heard great results on overheads from them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Iridium ➑️
B1s are very bright mics. You'll have to EQ the hell out of them if you're using them as overheads. ATM450s are great. You can fit them anywhere. What about a Rode stereo condensor? I've heard great results on overheads from them.
I saw Steve Ferrone live using the Rode stereo condenser (NT4 I believe is the model). It sounded pretty amazing, though Steve is an incredible player so it probably wouldn't take much to make him sound good.

Might I suggest giving the E/V ND868 a try for bass drum, I think it's a much better sounding mic than the D6 or D112, and that's coming from experience. They are both very one trick pony kind of sounds. The D6 is very scoopy and is great for a lot of rock/hard rock but gets lost on most other stuff. The D112 is kind of the polar opposite, it has a nice airy beater click with a lot of the mids left intact. Right now I'm personally using the Audio-Technica ATM250 and I really love it, if you get one check ebay I got a brand new one last month for like $90 shipped. It has a nice fat, punchy sound that's fairly natural but still kinda EQ'd.

So in conclusion I'd say ditch the bottom snare mic, if anything this would be my approach to miking your kit (if you want a 4 mic technique).

SM57, i5, PR20/22, or e609 on top of snare (or mic the side/shell)
ND868, Opus 99, ATM25/250, or e902 on kick (position to taste)
pair of ATM450, MK012, MXL603/604, M179/M177or NT5 as overheads (B1 are way too bright and hyped for my taste, but hey to each their own)

oh and the best starting points for overheads are probably x/y or spaced pair

With clever shopping you should be able to acquire all 4 mics (or something similar and of equal quality) for the $500. Check your craigslist, local classifieds, ebay, music go round, gs classifieds, etc. You can get some great deals and since it seems like you are new to this adventure buying used can be great because if you don't like you can actually make all or a lot more of your money back selling it than buying new gear. Mics really depreciate. Just a little FYI and best of luck to you.
πŸ“ Reply