Quantcast
Cheapest studio rates you've ever seen? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheapest studio rates you've ever seen?
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cheapest studio rates you've ever seen?

What are the cheapest studio rates you've ever seen?

This can be anyone advertising studio recording, whether they have a space that could be consider a "real" studio or a one room project type of environment.
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
..free
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i once had a band pay me $100 and paint my studio in exchange for doing their album.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Speaking of Oregon...

There is a guy advertising on Craigslist right now that he will record your band for $5.00 a song.

I get all my clients by paying them to record here. Is that good economic policy?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive ➑️
i once had a band pay me $100 and paint my studio in exchange for doing their album.
I love the barter system. there should be a lot more of that in the world. much less need to slave away at meaningless jobs. we can all just give what we have to give and get what we need in exchange for it.

good man!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
I love the barter system. there should be a lot more of that in the world. much less need to slave away at meaningless jobs. we can all just give what we have to give and get what we need in exchange for it.

good man!
Agreed. I love doing for work for work. Especially if you do a great job (which I always strive for) because its seems like they go the extra mile for you!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️

good man!
+1

Check out the movie "zeitgeist" if you haven't yet...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The cheapest rate is the one I give myself. Zero.

But other than that, I've seen legit studios (commercial studios) in town charging $25 an hour, which is obscenely low.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru
I do free mastering for the first track, that's pretty reasonable.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The first studio I was a part-owner in (NightTrain Studio) worked for free and only for free. We did it as a hobby and to boost the Knoxville music scene. We did everything from recording through CD artwork and production. We only worked with people we liked.

Strangely enough, a large percentage of our guests were attractive women. Musta just been a statistical anamoly or somethin'.

Actually, everybody who recorded got a free bottle of NightTrain (chilled, no less)... so I guess we WERE paying people to record with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheapest studio rates you've ever seen?-ngtlogo2.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Working for free can do wonders for your profile if you're friends with artists with high profiles/lots of connections. I recommend it when starting out.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
And... in one of those "go figure" chains of events, we wound up releasing several CD's for these folks via MP3.com (remember them?).

YouTube - Afrigo Band : Oswadde Nnyo
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Free:

I remember when Vanilla Ice was requesting free studio time all over Dallas
to produce his debut LP in exchange for points on the back end. Only one studio in town took him up on the offer ... it made the studio more money than it would have seen in ten years of heavy business.

Sometimes Free is good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I went twice to a budget studio for beginning bands in Brussels, that relied almost entirely on government funding.

Unfortunately, the guys running it had no recording experience except for the most basic forms of hip hop, no clue how to record your average garage band and still the nerve to ask for a 100 € a day.

Not knowing any better, a lot of bands went there in the early years, paying through the nose for a wildly inferior product. I don't think they're operating anymore.

I listened to some of those recordings a while back; it's incredible these guys dared to insist on being named as the AE in the cd booklets.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…