Quantcast
Looking for budget minded mic comparable to AKG C 414 B-XLS - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for budget minded mic comparable to AKG C 414 B-XLS
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➡️
Advanced Audio is Dave Thomas, the Canadian mic mod dude who generated so much pad PR around here a while back. He would have you send your Apex tube mic up to Canada for him to mod, and then you'd have to wait six months or a year to get it back - after you'd paid him in advance. (Advanced Audio - get it?) I've got two of his modded tube mics, and I saved roughly $1500 by using his services compared to buying comparable mics from a retailer.

At least he has these 414 clone mics in stock, (as well as 47 and 87 clones) so you order it, he ships it. No problem. (I do recommend keeping track of the 40 day Paypal time limit on filing a claim, just in case.) Dave really is good with mics, and that's the bottom line. He gets these directly from China, built to his specifications, and then I would imagine he runs his own quality control/mods on them. In other words, if this mic was at GC, it would have the retail markup added by a company like CAD or Sterling and list for probably a grand, while buying direct from him they're only like $350 or something.
yep-- he worked on one for me. it took about 5 months (or about 4 months and a week longer than he told me it would) and he told me it was a week from shipping at least 4 times at various points along the way, but it did sound good. i will say though that a lot of people do these same mods though just as well-- i've had two other techs do the apex/nady mods with great results.
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE ➡️
I've never heard of Dave screwing anyone.
Did I mention it took over nine months to get my first mic back? Totally jacked me around on a big recording project, thinking the mic was coming next week, and then the next week, and then the next week ad infinitum. On my second mic, I filed the Paypal claim after 40 days, and a week later, I had my mic. So no, he doesn't screw people, he just taxes their patience.

As I said before, if he's got the mic in stock, he's going to ship it. If not, wait until he does have it in stock before paying. No problem really. It's just common sense.
📝 Reply