Quantcast
Egg Cartons? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Egg Cartons?
Old 7th November 2008
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Egg Cartons?

1) I've been collecting egg cartons for a week or two now, but do they actually do any good? I hear maybe not?

Where would I put them, and how do I get them to stay without hurting the walls?

2) I've been hanging quilts on the walls of my junior recording studio/practice space. Does this have any affect other than visual?

3) I stopped by a foam retailer, and they had foam squares for the wall I could buy. A 2' by 2' square with 1" diamonds cost $16, 2" diamonds for $21, and 4" diamonds for $25. Is this more for diffusion or absorption? Would egg cartons accomplish this?

4) I've heard that material thicknesses affect how low in frequency the treatment affects. I'm trying to think of how to treat a room on a budget. Target sells cheap pillows for $5 a piece ... could they be used as a type of bass trap?

5) I know they sell cotton sheet things for blanket and quilt interiors at stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics. Is there a use for something like this?
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really a lot of it depends on what yu will be recording and what you are trying to accomplish.

The "room" has a big effect on your recording chain, so if you have not really got one, you'll have to create it somehow.

Diffusion and absorbtion are the main reasons for treatment, if you are trying to keep the noise level down for the neighbors egg crates are not gonna cut it (depending again on what you might be recording).

If you are tracking vocals you may just need a corner of a room where you can control the reflectives, in this case the foam you suggest could be used to create a "dead space" in one corner by securing ti the walls in the vocal sound path (eye level essentially).

if you are trying to control the noise level your gonna need much more than you've suggested.

good luck everybody starts somewhere.
Old 7th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Egg cartons are completely useless and a fire hazard.

Read any thread in the acoustics forum for info on treating your room.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
egg cartons are no good... and like poster above stated is a very big firehazard... try lookinf for diy basstraps if you are on a budget
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye ➑️
1) I've been collecting egg cartons for a week or two now, but do they actually do any good? I hear maybe not?

Where would I put them, and how do I get them to stay without hurting the walls?

2) I've been hanging quilts on the walls of my junior recording studio/practice space. Does this have any affect other than visual?

3) I stopped by a foam retailer, and they had foam squares for the wall I could buy. A 2' by 2' square with 1" diamonds cost $16, 2" diamonds for $21, and 4" diamonds for $25. Is this more for diffusion or absorption? Would egg cartons accomplish this?

4) I've heard that material thicknesses affect how low in frequency the treatment affects. I'm trying to think of how to treat a room on a budget. Target sells cheap pillows for $5 a piece ... could they be used as a type of bass trap?

5) I know they sell cotton sheet things for blanket and quilt interiors at stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics. Is there a use for something like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory ➑️

Yeah... Egg Cartons are pretty useless.

YES when you see pictures of studios there is egg carton shaped foam on the walls.... However when it comes to flat pieces of egg carton shaped foam, it is more about what the foam is made out of and less about how it is shaped, that makes this foam actually help your room.

One thing that comes into play here is something called The absorption coefficient of a material.

The absorption coefficient determines how far into a material sound can penetrate before it is absorbed. In a material with a low absorption coefficient, sound is poorly absorbed, and if the material is thin enough and has a low enough absorption coefficient (such as egg cartons) , it will appear more or less transparent to sound.

In other words sound will more or less go straight through egg cartons and they will make little if no difference.

You could use blankets or bed foam......Although blankets and or bed foam still don't have as high of an absorption coefficient as REAL acoustic foam, they may make an audible difference in your room... Egg Cartons for the most part will not.

And if you have the handy skills looking into things like DIY bass traps which a previous poster suggested is an even better idea then putting a bunch of bed foam on your walls.... which could also be an fire hazard too i guess.... but what isn't a fire hazard really?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lightbulb

to echo everyone else, egg cartons are useless. You are better off with the quilts...

Also, bass traps and wall mounted acoustic panels can be built fairly cheap and easily.

If you choose to go the foam route, there are a lot of places where you can get open cell urethane "acoustic" foam a hell of a lot cheaper than where you went.

The foam is for absorbtion. And you're right, the thickness does effect how low of a frequency the material can combat. This is why so many people have problems with bass... and bass likes to hide in the corners...

Bed foam isn't the right kind of foam, and even though it looks similar and will make an audible difference, it's still not really up to par for the task, and isn't really thick enough anyways. It will make a difference, but you can get quality acoustic foam for not that much more.

A few strategically placed foam panels, and some DIY bass traps in the corner will go a long way.

Pillows can help, so you might want to have some here and there, but I wouldn't base your room treatment off of that... instead of spending money on pillows and thin cotton sheets, you might want to look at other options.

I'd keep the quilts up, too.

If you would like contacts for manufacturers of good quality acoustic foam real cheap, then let me know...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
egg cartons do virtually nothing, and what they do do will nearly always make the room sound worse

They are too small to do any worthwhile diffusion, and they absorb a small amount of highs only, hence making a room sound more boxey. Pretty much the opposite of what you want.

for all you ever wanted to know (including what you should do), and more, click here:

RealTraps - Acoustics Articles

narco
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2 best applications.. heh
Attached Thumbnails
Egg Cartons?-madiecbugs.jpg  
Attached Images
Egg Cartons?-ecart_200.jpg 
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exclamation

Damn, dude's been eating eggs like Rocky Balboa!
no good, get the pro foam one piece at a time as you can afford it
MrH
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy ➑️
2 best applications.. heh
LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm no expert, but I've figured a few things out by trial and error. Think about what you are trying to accomplish. Here are the usual suspects:

1. SOUNDPROOFING--This can be two things: keeping your noise from bothering the neighbors, and keeping the neighbors' noise from bothering you. Egg cartons don't help with this. Actually, it is pretty hard to completely fix the problem, short of doing some serious construction. So, try to plan around the problem, rather than fix it. Record at night so that outside noises don't bother you, and record anything loud somewhere else so you don't bother the neighbors. Move the computer tower to another room. Turn off the heater/AC while recording. Near quiet can be achieved on the cheap, if you work at it.

2. ROOM TREATMENT FOR TRACKING--This is acoustic treatment of the room so that the sounds that get recorded in that room don't suck. Egg cartons don't help very much with this. Foam can help a little (it curbs that blatant slap echo), but it needs to be the right kind of foam, and you need to be smart about how to use it. If everything happens in the same room, it is better to use what I mention below re: treatment for monitoring.

3. ROOM TREATMENT FOR MONITORING--This is acoustic treatment of the room so that, when you play back what you have recorded, the room in which you play it back doesn't screw up the sound too badly. Because, if it does, then you will mix and process the music to fit that screwed up room, and the recordings will suck when played in any other room. Egg cartons don't help with this at all, and frankly, neither does foam. You need fiberglass insulation. Read lots of stuff in the acoustic treatment forum about how to mount the insulation so that it does the most good.

Send the egg cartons to the recycling center.

Good luck.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Egg cartons...great for holding eggs, and that's about it. Foam definitely has it's uses for sure, but it has to be the right kind of foam. The closed-cell, polyurethane stuff won't do you any good. Someone else also brought up a good point: you'll probably want this stuff to be fire ******ant just to be on the safe side.

Panels made from rigid fiberglass or mineral wool work really well all the way around. You just have to make sure you're putting the right thickness at the right density in the right places.

Frank
Old 8th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fire trap city! Oh, and they're useless in a studio scenario.
Old 9th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️
You just have to make sure you're putting the right thickness at the right density in the right places.
That's what it's all about right there. Tons of guys dump insane $ into treatment and their rooms still sound awful because they aren't using it in the right thickness and density in the right places as Frank said. Think of absorbers as a subtractive EQ. You can't just crank it randomly. You have to examine your needs and listen as you go.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If your walls are hard and you're dealing with lots of ugly flutter echo, then you might give thought to making use of some packing blankets. Good enough for Eddie Kramer. Good enough for tracking the first Travelling Wilburys album. Good enough for me.

As has been said a bazillion times, though, they will only cut the high mids and highs... and you will need some wider spectrum and bass traps to make the room sound proper, especially if you are tracking bass and drums.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I made some good DIY bass traps and diffusers from reading this site. They've worked well, and are cheap
Old 17th November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a closet where my desk is. also where my monitors are. the back of the closet is cement.

Would it help to throw up egg cartons behind the monitors at least (on top of the cement) or should i just go with packing blankets.

im not really intereste in foam or insulation due to its price. rather go with cheap blankets and free egg cartons. REGARDLESS id rather go cheap or free. this is a hobby and not very serious for me (as it is serious for others) so im not looking to spend lots of money.
Old 17th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvkeboxHERO ➑️
I have a closet where my desk is. also where my monitors are. the back of the closet is cement.

Would it help to throw up egg cartons behind the monitors at least (on top of the cement) or should i just go with packing blankets.

im not really intereste in foam or insulation due to its price. rather go with cheap blankets and free egg cartons. REGARDLESS id rather go cheap or free. this is a hobby and not very serious for me (as it is serious for others) so im not looking to spend lots of money.
Sure, packing blankets would be fine since your expectations won't be sky high. Egg cartons will just make it sound worse, so stay away from them.

Frank
Old 18th November 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
For and Isolation Box,

I'm building a custom isolation box, should I go acoustic foam, or egg cartons, will they actually get the job done?
I've heard of using them before, just needed some input.

-jbryjams.
thanks.
Old 18th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Put down the egg cartons and step back...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryjams ➑️
I'm building a custom isolation box, should I go acoustic foam, or egg cartons, will they actually get the job done?

-jbryjams.
thanks.
For isolation? In concert with some structure, yes. It'll lower the amount of fan noise in a PC, but if you're talking about a 60W DeVille amp you're going to need a lot more mass than something you'd use to lower the amount of PC fan noise in a room.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lol I really wish people would read the whole thread before they ask "will these egg cartons work?"

NO! Hell no they won't work! And to add insult to injury, you will look like a ****** with egg cartons all over the wall! Your mom will come in and see that, and then search your underwear drawer looking for your stash of drugs.

Recycle the egg cartons and save the planet or something. Save your lunch money and buy/build some real acoustical treatment.

I came to the cold hard realization long ago that the laws of acoustics don't change just because you are on a budget...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryjams ➑️

-jbryjams.
thanks.
Did you read anything in this thread other than the title?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Unfortunately, after you remove the eggs from the egg carton it is absolutely useless for anything else with respect to audio recording. tutt
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
if you are looking for solutions to treat your room acoustics then have a look at the studio acoustics & construction forum on this board, you can make DIY bass traps for cheap, don't spend any money on foam, i did it before and it just absorbs the high frequencies, will not do you any good in the lows, i never tried egg cartons and never thought they absorb or diffuse sound, i remember reading that diffusion will help in big rooms not small ones though
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory ➑️

i agree............
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Of course, you could throw out the cartons and just glue the eggs to the walls. Voile! Instant diffusion.

Eggscellent...

Frank
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Genius! Oval Variable Orientation Interpolated Diffuser System!

Quote:
Of course, you could throw out the cartons and just glue the eggs to the walls. Voile! Instant diffusion.

Eggscellent...

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC ➑️
Genius! Oval Variable Orientation Interpolated Diffuser System!
Hahahaha....that was the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Frank
Old 19th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Eggscellent...

Frank
heh
You'll want to use eggs from free-range chickens of course. They have better response at 8kHz.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…