160a 160s 160x 161 162 etc. - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
160a 160s 160x 161 162 etc.
Old 4th December 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
Germanium caps sound different from the new surface mount caps.
AFAIK, germanium has never been used in capacitors, only in diodes, transistors, and LED's. Germanium diodes are (electrically) considerably different to other forms of diodes, and will sound totally different and need different supporting circuitry to work.
Old 4th December 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I was wondering how some of the other newer units (166, 1066) compare to the older 160s. They all say that they will give that "classic DBX sound." Opinions?
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Ain't nuthin' like a real 160

>>Jay, the reason I saw it as a cheap shot is that you should KNOW that we DO currently make stuff that sounds like the 160VU.

NOBODY has made anything that sounds anything like a real 160 since (the old) dbx made the original 160.

(Wish it were true.)

tutt
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My dbx 160 xt says made in Hong Kong on it. Sounds great.
Old 25th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am hoping that someone here can help me bring my much loved 160X back from the dead.
Bought myself a 160X a few month back and it has been used on many sessions since. However, when i went to use it the other day I found that I couldnt get any output out of it. It powers up ok and the controls seem operational as the the input/output and gain reduction meters seem to correspond but I cant get any sound out. If i select 'bypass' i hear the uncompressed signal but as soon as i deactivate 'bypass' all I get is hum.
I have posted a thread over in the Geekslutz forum but I thought it was worth a post here too. Anyone here had a similar problem? Anyone any idea as to what the problem may be?
Many thanks in advance.
Old 2nd August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram ➡️
Really? Strange, my records have no indication of any move to Japan. Even more strange, I don't have any record of anything ever going to Japan.
Not to revive an old thread (but to revive an old thread, lol), I just bought a DBX160X with "Made in Japan" proudly stamped on the back, serial 41,xxx,xxx.

Have you found any information about these Japanese made DBX's yet?

: )
Old 3rd August 2019 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
What information are you looking for exactly?

Like I mentioned about, I had four DBX160Xs back in the day, two were made in Massachusetts and the other two were made in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice and Sax ➡️
Not to revive an old thread (but to revive an old thread, lol), I just bought a DBX160X with "Made in Japan" proudly stamped on the back, serial 41,xxx,xxx.

Have you found any information about these Japanese made DBX's yet?

: )
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The only thing I care about are sonic differences between one and another country's manufacture.
Old 12th August 2019 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
It's been quite a while since I played with my DBX 160Xs...

As I recall, the ones built in Massachusetts and Japan sounded the same to me. That DBX warm and phat sound was present. Some have said, the ones built in other parts of Asia sounded slightly brighter, yet I cannot confirm or deny their claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice and Sax ➡️
The only thing I care about are sonic differences between one and another country's manufacture.
📝 Reply