The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what can you tell me about the FMR Audio Preamp RNP8380 preamp?
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
what can you tell me about the FMR Audio Preamp RNP8380 preamp?

There is one for sale locally and I have no experience with them. I am using electroharmonix 12AY7 mic preamps and an altec lansing 1592A mixer. Thanks. Walter
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter tore ➡️
There is one for sale locally and I have no experience with them. I am using electroharmonix 12AY7 mic preamps and an altec lansing 1592A mixer. Thanks. Walter
Hi Walter,

I love the EH 12AY7, it's a great little preamp. I almost bought an RNP a few months ago but upgraded my converters instead. The most informative review I found was this one by Nathan Eldred The FMR Audio RNP 8380, An Overview... - Nathan Eldred. Enjoy. - Atlas Pro Audio, Inc.

By the way, did you ever get the noise out of your 1592A? The last post I saw from you was on some other board and you had just gotten that Altec piece. I thought the sound clips you posted sounded great.
Old 10th June 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The RNP is a great little pre...it's got just a bit of color to it, but it's very focused with great depth. If it's a good price, snap it up. You'll find uses for it, no doubt.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➡️
The RNP is a great little pre...it's got just a bit of color to it, but it's very focused with great depth. If it's a good price, snap it up. You'll find uses for it, no doubt.

Frank
I agree. This pre is so handy given its form factor. I use it sometimes just for line amplification if I need some gain somewhere.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➡️
Hi Walter,

I love the EH 12AY7, it's a great little preamp. I almost bought an RNP a few months ago but upgraded my converters instead. The most informative review I found was this one by Nathan Eldred The FMR Audio RNP 8380, An Overview... - Nathan Eldred. Enjoy. - Atlas Pro Audio, Inc.

By the way, did you ever get the noise out of your 1592A? The last post I saw from you was on some other board and you had just gotten that Altec piece. I thought the sound clips you posted sounded great.

thannks for the replies!

TurboJets: I bought that 1592A on ebay. The guy shipped in a box 2x's the size needed with no packing-only wrapped it in a couple canvas grocery bags! The box arrived all mashed to hell. It was making poping noises. I got ebay to cover the price of the purchase which was sure nice. A local repair guy got it quieted down, but now it is popping again. This is why I am looking into the FMR preamp. I have been using a beyerdynamic M500 ribbon mic with the altec for my vocals/harp, and it sounds pretty good IMO. I am going to have to get the altec repaired and the electroharmonix pre amps don't have enough gain to power the M500. So now I am now using a C414 through the 12AY7 for vocals/harp, but it doesn't come through as clear as the altec set up. I think I will make the guy an offer on the FMR. Thanks! Walter

SoundClick artist: Walter Tore's Spontobeat - Spontaneously created music
📝 Reply