Old 25th March 2008
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Avenson Audio STO-2

anyone experienced these sdcs?
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not yet, but I got a pair on the way to me via UPS. Shipped yesterday, and I should have them before the end of the week. I like all of the sound samples I've found of them. My pair will be a used pair. But $100 not spent is $100 to spend on something else. Like 2x 25' Mogami Gold cables.
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
They're Great!!

The STO-2's are very clear and natural sounding, with a bunch of upper spectrum detail. They work really well in X/Y for acoustic GTR and percussion applications. I have also found that I really like them as room microphones in a BIG room, as they sound just as BIG as the room.

I would also recommend trying them as front of kit and mono OH 4 feet up, directly pointing down at the snare. I also like them as elbows or under heads.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
They're Great!!

The STO-2's are very clear and natural sounding, with a bunch of upper spectrum detail. They work really well in X/Y for acoustic GTR and percussion applications. I have also found that I really like them as room microphones in a BIG room, as they sound just as BIG as the room.

I would also recommend trying them as front of kit and mono OH 4 feet up, directly pointing down at the snare. I also like them as elbows or under heads.
I thought Omni Directional mics were not good for X/Y?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
They really are great - especially amazing on piano.
they make nice room mics and will handle something like 145 spl!
They're very well balanced low to high end too.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed ➑️
True omni mics (e.g., Avenson, Earthworks) work in X/Y because they have a uniform off-axis response. Dual capsule omni mics, are essentially back-to-back cardiods, and exhibit uneven off-axis responses.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
in fifteen years of messing with microphones, omnis have never worked for me as a coincident pair, either x/y or any other formula. they're great as spaced pairs or mono ambient mics.

you'll need a something with a little more directionality for coincident pairing. correct me if i'm wrong. i'm just stating what i've experienced in my limited use.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Earthworks actually states in their manual to try their omni mics in XY and you'll be surprised at the result. I am guessing the Avenson's behave similarly.

However I haven't tried it but I really want to! heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
this is very interesting.

i don't understand the science behind it, so this makes me want to grab a pair and try it out. i've been eyeballing the avenson and audix reference mics. any input on the differences between these two models?

thank you kindly,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recently got a pair and I love them. They really do sound like what you hear in the room. I'm working on making a Jecklin disc to try out with them.

FWIW, I also have an Earthworks TC20 and omni caps for my Oktava MC012's. Compared with one of the Avensons, the Earthworks seems more extended on the top and bottom, but that does not mean it is as pleasant. I my own testing I prefered the Avenson. YMMV.

The Oktavas were closer to the Avensons. Seemed about the same in frequency range, the Avensons having a bit more midrange detail and less smear to the sound, as you'd probably expect from the smaller diaphragm. My MC012's have been fired from omni duty and put back on cardioid.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy ➑️
I recently got a pair and I love them. They really do sound like what you hear in the room. I'm working on making a Jecklin disc to try out with them.

FWIW, I also have an Earthworks TC20 and omni caps for my Oktava MC012's. Compared with one of the Avensons, the Earthworks seems more extended on the top and bottom, but that does not mean it is as pleasant. I my own testing I prefered the Avenson. YMMV.

The Oktavas were closer to the Avensons. Seemed about the same in frequency range, the Avensons having a bit more midrange detail and less smear to the sound, as you'd probably expect from the smaller diaphragm. My MC012's have been fired from omni duty and put back on cardioid.
I wonder how mod'ed MC012's would compare?
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This was my thought exactly,
Until I tried to on acoustic GTR.

I am a believer
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
This was my thought exactly,
Until I tried to on acoustic GTR.

I am a believer
Have you tried X/Y with those mics for Drum OH?

Just curious.

Would those mics work well for a small drum booth?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All 1/4" electret condensers (e.g. Earthworks) will have a fair amount of self-noise, simply due to how small a diaphragm they are working with. However, you get tremendous SPL handling, speed, and evenness in frequency response on and off-axis for a natural sound.

So while many people see "Omni" and think "Distance micing" I prefer my STO-2's for close micing. Only loud sources make sense distant.

The point about X-Y is to increase signal-to-noise ratio. The signal in an XY pair is correlated while the noise isn't. This means half of the noise will cancel itself out relative to the signal when summed to mono, providing a 3db improvement in signal-to-noise. The mics are also somewhat directional at high frequencies so you could get a bit of stereo that way if you're not worried about your noise floor.

I like the sound of these mics!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The manual of sorts recommends close micing. Despite being Omni, they handle higher SPL's so you can close mic in very close quarters, thus cancelling out the Omni part and the S/N ratio for on stage micing. Or something to that effect. I just like the natural sound of them. And the fact that they're only sold as stereo pairs and fairly cheap ones at that. I'm also hoping to have less wind noise because of their smaller profile. And I'm also considering a Jenkins disc. Plus they're manufactured locally. Which I found out after I ordered a pair.

Avenson Audio
Avenson Audio
Old 26th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
yeah, i've been considering building a jecklin disk. but the coincident pair theory with omnis is blowing my mind here! i've gotta try it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndrock ➑️
the coincident pair theory with omnis is blowing my mind here! i've gotta try it!
Can't hurt to try I suppose, but it's not really stereo. More like wide-mono.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I wonder how mod'ed MC012's would compare?
I was thinking the same thing. I may send them to M. Joly. What's the mod cost - like $79 or something? I was always hesitant to mod them because I liked them as they were. If I send them out I'll post a comparison with the Avensons.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have all three species...STO-2's, Oktavamod MC-012s, and unmodded MC-012s (FMSP from The Sound Room back in the 90's).

They are all quite different but the mod and unmod MC-012's are much closer to each other of course.

The Avensons sound very natural and while not exactly colored they are really great starting points for a sound. You can hear your preamps' character clear as day on them. Also they let you tap exactly the tone you want from a stationary source...you can get way up close even to a loud signal.

The Oktavamod MC-012s are a lot faster than the old unmodded ones...the old ones were quite pokey, but this gave them a pleasant warmth and body. The old ones sound very nice on an acoustic guitar although in a dense mix I would prefer the modded ones on acoustic guitar. With the "Red" caps I definitely prefer the mod bodies.

I might prefer the STO-2s over either on acoustic guitar...I can't really give you a definite preference as they are all nice sounds when handled properly.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
what has anybody had a shot at the audix tr-40? i'm going to buy a pair.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you tried X/Y with those mics for Drum OH?

Just curious.

Would those mics work well for a small drum booth?
I don't believe I have used them in X/Y directly over the kit,
Its something to try...

I like to use them on R&B, roots, softer type drum parts that don't really have not much too them, dynamically. If the drummer starts playing and the Ride Cymbal decays for measure, I like the STO-2's over the kit, mostly placed ORTF. The idea (for me) when placing omni's, is that you can really get a natural, organic response of the room, like no other, depending on how you place them of course.

For louder more dynamic drum parts, they do work equally well, but distance from the source becomes more of an issue and I tend to use them further apart, as elbow's or as a drum perimeter spaced pair. I think they would be pretty cool in a small room with the capsules facing flat, pointed at the heads, (possibly angled away from each other) spaced about (how ever much it takes to center both pickup patterns over the kit) equally.
Old 27th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got my pair today. They are quite Omni. If you put their business ends right next to each other, there's really not much stereo image in there at a 90 degree difference. Each mic picks up everything. At least not much stereo image for close and loud sound sources. Probably better as a spaced pair IMO. (with a Jeklin disc)

I like them though. So nice to hear me, and recognize it as me. Now the pets are really gonna go bonkers. Not quite as detailed as an LDC. And maybe not as roomy as an LDC. Soft distant sound sources seem almost non existant with these. Not quite as immune to wind noise as I'd hoped. Although it only seems to pick up wind noise if you're almost swallowing them and panting. They do seem to handle higher SPL's. Although for my mellophone I found that I have to lower the interface input level to 81% (from 90%) otherwise it starts to sound a bit brittle at the upper dynamics. Probably just a quirk of that interface (mobile pre) that previous went unnoticed with an LDC. I look forward to using these a lot. And I look forward to selling a few of my other mic(s) that will only be collecting dust in the presence of the STO-2's.
Old 31st March 2008 | Show parent
Deleted c40a31f
I really like the Avenson STO-2's!!!! I have a pair and I'm seriously going to get a second pair . . I'm on an omni kick lately (I'd better hit up War over at Front end Audio . . . .as soon as I have the funds! )

Awesome as wide spaced pair over drums. Very natural and clean/uncolored.

The Audi TR40's are also very good too. Spaced pair over drums worked well, floor toms sounded killer! But . . .I occasionally got a bit of distortion from a particularly loud cymbal crash and I'm 99% sure it was the mic and not the pre or converters distorting. Nothing really bad buut the Avenson's seem to handle higher SPLs better.

Hey . . .anyone have a pair of Avenson STO-2's in perfect shape that they want to trade straight across for a Shure KSM32 (silver with shockmount, mic bag and case) in perfect condition? PM me please!
Old 31st March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I might trade for a pair of sE Titans. Not exactly a fair trade though. $550 STO-2's to $2,400 Titans.

I've come to realize that omni's exagerate distance. My former LDC could pick up the TV from the other room and I could listen in per say from the recording. With these omni's, even at max gain and normalized to hell and back I can barely make out that same TV. Up close and personal, they rock. Unfortunately this distance issue might make them ill suited for my needs. At least for part of the year. When we're outdoors and putting a visual element to the noise. This distance exageration will only make the quirky nature of distance playing more quirky. Especially since I'm not gonna be getting prime mic placement all the time. I still love the sound of these mics. Im just not always in a position to keep the mics intimate with the sound source.
πŸ“ Reply