Quantcast
Post your good recordings with "junk" gear - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your good recordings with "junk" gear
Old 29th February 2008
Smile Post your good recordings with "junk" gear

A guy in another thread had showed me an example of a song he did on a bunch of fairly cheap mics that sounded totally pro to me. He did have some nice pre's and such, but it got me curious as to how great of sounds people have gotten out of really cheapo gear, and when I say cheap, I mean even by low end standards, not "Oh, my system is cheap because it only cost $10,000 rather than a million for the SSL."

Seems like it could be fun to hear and sort a reality check for the slut in all of us that it isn't all about gear.

Obviously, "cheap" and "good recordings" are subjective, but we can all be the judge of that. Unfortunately, I'm such a noob that I don't have any good examples myself since my best recordings are still kinda iffy (I'm getting there).

If you would, please elaborate as to your instruments, mics, pre's, software, room treatment, or anything else that made your job more difficult as a really low end engineer.

So, let's hear 'em!
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think I qualify.............one decent pre (Trident 4T), RNLA, KSM32, 57's, PTLE.

Bedroom studio with bunkbed traps and bookcase diffusers.

Live amps and canned drums.............

This one is hot off the presses.

SoundClick artist: Lenny and the Scapers - Ballad Rock
Old 29th February 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
donny who loved bowling -- the first record, "tree fort" was mostly recorded with:

733 mHz PC running Windows ME
Sonic Foundry Vegas and Acid
M Audio Delta 1010
Behringer mixer

...we had a couple good mics though. Some U89s. An EV 667. Then a bunch of 57s and 58s, the occasional RE20 and a pair of AKG 451s.

Some of the tracks were recorded with Sonic Solutions (so it's not ALL "junk" gear) and mixed through a Mackie 32x8.

Monitors were JBL 4410s which I like a lot, powered with a Phase Linear 400 amp.

We may have used a Focusrite Green Voicebox pre for some tracks, but I really hate that thing, so probably we just used the Behringer and Mackie pres.
Old 1st March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I attempted to "fix" a digicam recording of our band live from our last tour. Don't know if it gets junkier than that...one built-in camera mic. The awfulness can be heard on the myspace link in my signature. Song is called "Nature of the Break." Video too if you care to watch.

The other recording (Sterling, CO) was done with 2 KSM27s, SM57s, and a D112 through a soundcraft M8 and a Tascam FW-1082 and Cubase 4. That one is just a bit better.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
http://kevinhume.bandcamp.com/track/towns-where-we-live

This track was recorded with 2 budget Audio Technica mics: AT813 on vocals and AT3525 on everything else. Preamps were Mackie VLZ, and the signal went directly into my iMac G3. Mixing was done on a pair of Fischer home stereo speakers.
JPF
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
this song "Not Alone "was done completely ITB w/ a Pearlman TM1 mic ,into older m-box ,G5..the drums were emailed to me from another session,just a cocktail set -up w/ three cheap mics..mixed tune w/ some pretty good plugins(oxford ,Waves,Digis producer pac) ITB w/ some KRK rokkit 5's monitors...les paul thru a Vox Tonelab into mbox, acoustics cut w/Pearlman about 18"-2' away from hole in J-200,fender six string bass straight into mbox..
let me know what ya think! you can be brutally honest lol cheers -JP
http://www.myspace.com/jpfitting Not Alone
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Here are a couple for y'all to enjoy.
The Coyote - Listen
With the exception of the violins on "Postmortal Postman," everything was played by me, recorded on a Korg D1600mkII workstation. Drums are either an Alesis HR-16 or Zoom 203 drum machine. Mics are MXL900s and 901s. Moniters were bookshelf Boston Acoustics (?) I found in the trash. I like these recordings, but I can't wait to do more, and better - it ain't the gear, it's how you use it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Here's one I did when I first got into digital recording and a very newly purchased 896. I did all the parts, and all mixing was ITB.

http://www.eartickle.com/music/GrooveMachine.mp3

Vocal Mic: Superlux CM-H8A (a really really cheap Chinese LDC)
Guitar Mic: (the same Superlux)
Guitar: Ibanez 335 copy into homemade guitar amp /4x12 speaker cab
Bass: Ibanez SGR885 direct into converters
Drums: Alesis D4 (stepped in and quantized too much)
Room: plain old basement with no real treatment
Software: Cubase SX (the first one) running on a 800Mhz PC.
Converter: MOTU 896 (I was a proud consumer - boy I thought I was a slut then...)

I was a tape guy who one day decided to goof around with his sounblaster AWE16 of whatever it was, and that's how it all started. Now I've become a nasty slut who is broke, but I do like playing with all the toys... I still have the MOTU just more of them...

~Lerxst
Old 1st March 2008
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
love spirals downwards' ardor

my prior band, love spirals downwards, recorded our albums on what could be considered primitive gear (but it was 1994, there were not as many low cost options there are now). we used a tascam 388 tape machine (1/4" 8-track with dbx noise reduction), an akg c1000 mic, dbx 160xt and alesis microlimiter for compression, a roland dep-3 reverb.

you can check out a full length mp3 as well as medley mp3 of the entire album, ardor, at:

Love Spirals Downwards: Dreampop, Shoegazer, Ethereal band Β» Ardor
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've wanted to see a thread like this for a while.

I record local bands as a hobby, charge a modest fee, and consequently I've kept my gear pretty basic. If you go to the Myspace page below you can hear several songs that are made on cheap gear.

The first two songs in the player (by Hauler and Brian Free/Day of Lions) were recorded on a Mackie 1642 VLZ and 2 channels of Presonus BlueTube - two of the most reviled pieces of gear on this board. I'm using a $75 DAW program (n-Track Studio) and these two songs were converted through a Delta 66 sound card. There wasn't a single mic that cost over $100.

The other songs were recorded using some mid-level outboard preamps (ART Pro Channels, ART MPA Gold, Presonus MP20) and a Delta 1010 but everything is still tracked using budget mics and mixed ITB.

I think I'm doing better than my level of gear would indicate but you be the judge.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
http://www.reverbnation.com/controll...ad_song/475131

I recorded this for some friends that have a local band.
The drums were recorded with only one 57 mic believe it or not.
The same drum part was played with the mic on a different drum each take.

It was recorded through a mbox2.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how bout lowest of low end gear. lol.
cassette dek mic pre, crappy mic , and crappy on board sound chip in a pc.
the cass dek was from the garbage, ....lol.
reason i did the song was to show a friend getting into recording with no money
the lowest gear chain for a giggle.
listen to jumbo pillows on my motagator site.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great stuff :D
I have heard more good tunes in this one thread than I heard on the radio for the last 12 month !
I wish I had a tune I could share with you , but I am a while away from that yet .
Cheers for the songs and keep up the very good work :D
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
behringer tracks

this was done a few years ago with a behringer mx9000 board. Sm57's on instruments and an Akg c3000 on vox. No outboard pres just the behringer board direct out through a 24io into DP4. Epiphone and schecter electric guitars, IBanez acoustic guitar, boss gt3 pedal, line 6 flextone 1x12, 1989 Tama rockstar 5 piece, bass through a sans amp bass driver direct in. Room has 6'5" ceilings and is about 12 x 9 in a triangular shape
Attached Files

01 DELIVER TO SORROW 1.mp3 (4.61 MB, 2751 views)

Last edited by truthnlife13; 1st March 2008 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 2nd March 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Here is my favourite track from my first recording project, done on very much budget gear.

Recorded in my backroom with:

Rode NT-1a and Nt5 mics, into a Soundcraft Spirit Folio mixer, into Cubase via an EMU 1212M soundcard.

Plugins were Blockfish, Voxengo Analogue Flux Suite, PSP Vintage Warmer, T-Racks EQ, and the Waves convolution reverb programe (the only flash piece of kit).

All mixed on Beyerdynamic DT-100 headphones.

I'm looking to get a decent pre to replace my mixer at the moment, so my next recording project will be slightly less uber-budget

*Rahnooo*
Attached Files
Old 2nd March 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Here is 3 songs that I recorded with my old band..i used an sm-57 in the kick..a clock audio mic on the snare..a shure condensor for left OH(not sure exactly what modle condensor it was)and a cheap PG-58 for right overhead. for Guitar I miked the cab with the sm-57 and bass was direct. For recording I used a trial version of cool edit pro and a beheringer mixer to run the mics into the line in on a crappy lap top...check it out..turned out decent for the ****ty gear we had. I also never had any monitors..i mixed through my sony earbuds LOL my ears were shot when i finished mixing it ..Check it out here...

Showcase Your Music - Make your own music showcase today!

Cheers!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Here's a few blasts from some of my earliest recordings....

This one, I made 12th April 1980, when I was 16 years old. It's my dad (tenor sax) in a jazz trio, recorded in a club in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. The mike on Dad was a homemade one, made with one of those $3 electret elements that runs off a 9 volt battery, built into the housing of a dead Radio Shack mike. All the other equipment on this recording came from there too: Left piano mike, an RS electret (33-1055 IIRC); right piano mike, a $10 RS dynamic (can't recall the number); drums, using one half of an RS stereo electret mike (33****9?). Recorded with the battery-operated 4X2 RS mixer of the day, into an RS SCT-16 cassette deck using Maxell UD-XL II tape, with Dolby on. Monitoring: RS SA-100C stereo amp, RS-by-Koss Pro-IIA phones.

01 Track 01 47.mp3

A little over two years later, in a club in Macomb, Illinois, Dad with an 18-piece big band, on 27 October 1982....used two RS 33-1080 electrets (the one on the right channel was defective) into an RS SCT-23 cassette deck, running Memorex High Bias tape. Same headphones as above for monitoring. Transferred with a Denon DN-770R cassette deck. Some repairs made to this track with a modified Tascam 15 mixer, a modified Peavey/AMR PME 8 parametric EQ, and a Valley People Dyna-Mite.

03 Track 03 20.mp3

Here's a high school concert band, recorded 27 May 1982 on a Sony TC-200 SS reel-to-reel machine, on Maxell UD 35-90 tape at 7 1/2 ips, with the better (AC powered) RS 4X2 mixer, using two RS 33-1080 mikes plus a pair of homemade electrets in front of the flutes. 40+ dB dynamic range here! Transferred with a modified Ampex 354 tube tape machine.

08 Track 08 13.mp3

And a giggle from 1998. Here was a band of teenagers who loved 1960s vintage kitsch, and wanted to record an album of original songs on 4 track tape, and wanted it to sound like it had been recorded 30-something years earlier. I even used some of the old gear from some of the above cuts, that hadn't been used in years and some old bits I'd picked up later on. Let's see....for mikes, two of the homemade ones (bass amp, drum overhead); bass drum, Shure 55S into a mag phono input on the RS AC-op 4X2 mixer I used for the backing track; electric guitar, Electro-Voice 630; acoustic guitar, Altec 682A dynamic; vocals, lead, AKG C 414 EB into Frazier tube mixer/preamp into Gates SA-39B tube comp/limiter; backing vocals, Altec 682A with the same chain. Tape machine: Modified Tascam 34-B with modified dbx NR-40 type 2 NR units, using BASF SM 468 tape. Mixed with a Mackie 24X8 desk, Rocktron Intellifex as a reverb, into my Ampex 354 tube 2 track, on BASF SM 911 tape.

13 Track 13 11.mp3

Hope you enjoy these!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago ➑️
Great stuff
I have heard more good tunes in this one thread than I heard on the radio for the last 12 months !
I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Greetings

This was recorded using a MXL 909 for the body mic, an Electro Voice PL-80 for the neck mic into a Presonus Inspire 1384 (the bass was D/I into the Inspire). The guitar is a Art & Lutherie Folk CW, the bass is a Vester. Both the guitar and the bass were double tracked (the second guitar part was done with a quarter instead of a pick for a brigher tone). I do my recordings with Audacity (just because it's easier to do than with Cubase, at least for me). I then export the tracks as WAV files and bring them into Cubase SE3 for mixing.

SoundClick artist: Tony Seo - Acoustic Guitar Music, Celtic, Folk Rock

Tony
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
the wrong cards - recorded into nuendo, ad/da: 2 x ada8000 behringer, tracked through tascam m15 console from 78.
mic used: adk hamburg edition
all reverb: eh holy grail guitar pedal, echo is uad re 201

mixed right through the board and then back into the puter. mp3 sucks pretty much, and the mix isnΒ΄t final yet (of course)

have fun!
andreas
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Some POP/ROCK tunes, ala Goo Goo Dolls.

Used a crappy HP desktop PC, Sonar 3 Producer Edition, an M-udio Delta 1010, a Behringer V-amp amp simulator, some old EV mic, and an ART TubePac mic preamp.

Everyone who has heard them says they don't suck too bad.

SoundClick artist: Shakespeare's Mansion - page with MP3 music downloads
Old 7th March 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Good recordings, cheap gear"

Instruments: 2 guitars, bass, drums, vocals, backup vocals
Mics: Shure PG drum kit, Behringer B1 LDC, and a couplea sm57s
Pre's: Presonus Firepod
Software: Cubase LE
Room treatment: Absolutely none! And its a pretty reflective room (but after taming it a bit) I think it works for our songs (we get a lot of comparisons to bands like The Cure, Joy Division, etc).

Here's a link to our site, check out 'A New Disappointment' on the 'Music' page:

The Silence Kit: Post Punk, Indie Rock Band
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koho ➑️
http://www.premiumfantasymusic.com/K...hereWeLive.mp3

This track was recorded with 2 budget Audio Technica mics: AT813 on vocals and AT3525 on everything else. Preamps were Mackie VLZ, and the signal went directly into my iMac G3. Mixing was done on a pair of Fischer home stereo speakers.
Cool Koho. I look past the recording, listen to the tune vibe etc. Nice job! Do you have any more recent hi-fi stuff to share?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i've got a recording i did for some friends about 3 or 4 years ago. recorded in a bedroom, 4 channel mixing board with 2 stereo outputs going to 2 different PC's line in on their soundcards (old comps too.. late 90s IBMs). 1 overhead, kick, snare, scratch guitar. other tracks were overlayed one by one into the same computers. i'll try to dig up the dvd that the files are on and post some. i hated them when i was mixing them, but after a year or so i dug them up and was really surprised at how explosive they sounded.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll bite on this. My first album. Mics used on the kit were all dynamics into cheap mixer. Later added keys and bass direct into the compy, all software compressed eq'd etc. Vocals through an Apex 430 direct. I think i was using M-audio pci card in my pc at the time (i think it was a 1.6ghz assembled pc).

Sounds so thin to my ears now.. sigh.. at least it was recorded cleanly.

CD Baby: RUSSELL JENNISON: Russell Jennison

make sure you click the broadband link..

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespirals ➑️
my prior band, love spirals downwards, recorded our albums on what could be considered primitive gear (but it was 1994, there were not as many low cost options there are now). we used a tascam 388 tape machine (1/4" 8-track with dbx noise reduction), an akg c1000 mic, dbx 160xt and alesis microlimiter for compression, a roland dep-3 reverb.

you can check out a full length mp3 as well as medley mp3 of the entire album, ardor, at:

Love Spirals Downwards: Dreampop, Shoegazer, Ethereal band Β» Ardor
I think analog seems to have made the cheap gear a lot sweeter sounding : )

Sounds more like a product of its time than cheap at all.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
forget commercial radio- here is where the good songs reside!
all recorded with 57's and allesis am11 >dbx 586 >presonus mp20> roland 1680. i played everything on this song- "the one piece band".
Attached Files

01 The One Piece Band.mp3 (4.00 MB, 2864 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MySpace.com - IN ARMS (NEW CLIP UP!) - Winnipeg, CA - Hardcore / Breakbeat - www.myspace.com/inarmsmusic

I'd like to hear what other gear slutz think of this....everyone else's stuff sounds really good i think

I used:
PTLE

003 and 003 pre amps for everything except 4 out of 8 drum mics
A little mackie mixer for 4 out of 8 drum mics

sm57 for guitars

Apex Condenser for vocals

Behringer DI for bass

and on drums i used rode stereo condenser, sm57, shure kick mic and tom mics, Apex condenser, Behringer Condenser
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
all my stuff is recorded with low end gear.
B ada8000, at2020, cad e100, sm7, sm57, beta 52, 58's, old synths, amp emulators, cheap cables, random pedals, & still using sonar 3.

brainwashaudio - purveyors of fine auditory distractions
Old 8th March 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Not ultra ultra low end, but no big studio gear here. My solo rock project, The 29th of February, a tune called Only Time Now. I'm on all the instruments.

Drums:
Rode NT1s on Overhead, 57 on snare, D112 on kick, 421s on toms.

Guitars:
'79 Hamer Sunburst into a Yamaha T100 Soldano. SM57.

Bass:
Mexican J Bass Direct.

Acoustic & Vox:
AKG 414, cheap Ibanez acoustic guitar.

All recorded via the preamps on my 80-something Allen & Heath System 8 into a MOTU 24i/o into Sonar. Mostly Waves plugs, no outboard gear whatsoever.

The room is a small basement bedroom with carpeting and low ceilings.

http://www.twentyninth.net/music/onlytimenow.mp3

Let me know what you think!
πŸ“ Reply