The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAD M179 question
Old 28th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➡️

lots of ways to screw-up a bass cabinet recording in a small room.

-tINY

Yup, I know lol

Good to know the M179 are flat, thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➡️
Cool, how is the rest of the spectrum?

Here's the deal, I need a new kick mic and some tom mics, I also want a mic that will make justice to my svt which I've never been able to record 100% succesfuly.

I love the RE20 on kick but I find it too congested on my bass amp.
I've been told that a Beyer M88 would be ideal for my svt but it doesn't seem to be what I want for my kick drum.

So if the CAD M179 sounds articulate with deep lows and good highs it could work.
Here's what I tried and didn't like that much on my bass amp:

-EV RE20 (good mids but too congested)
-SM57 (boring, can't feel the air and harmonics)
-MD421 (boring, can't feel the air and harmonics)
-Kel HM1 (ok but not quite there)
-MXL 603s (ok but not quite there)
-MXL 2001(ok but not quite there)
-AKG D112 (would work if it had more mids and a bit more highs)

In the shootout section ''drum mic madness'' thread there is a sample of M177's being used on Toms, basically the same, if not exactly, the drummer found they sounded best and personally so do I, most natural, whether it works in the mix is another story, but listen to them compared to the other mics he chose.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
An Ebay store recently dropped the price to get rid of its last batch... they were $129 before, and now even $99!!! I was cautious, so I emailed them, asking whether it was a typo...

when I received their positive response, already 5 of the 6 for sale were sold, so I quickly grabbed the last one. If it is that good as everyone says, I'm gonna buy a 2nd (and maybe a 3rd and 4th for toms).

Right now I'm thinking to use it as an OH or room mic, maybe for acoustic guitar and I wanna do a side-by-side with my SP B3.
I have 3 MD421's, and it would feel kinda weird to not use them... so I'm wary of getting more M179's for toms...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon ➡️
An Ebay store recently dropped the price to get rid of its last batch... they were $129 before, and now even $99!!! I was cautious, so I emailed them, asking whether it was a typo...

when I received their positive response, already 5 of the 6 for sale were sold, so I quickly grabbed the last one. If it is that good as everyone says, I'm gonna buy a 2nd (and maybe a 3rd and 4th for toms).

Right now I'm thinking to use it as an OH or room mic, maybe for acoustic guitar and I wanna do a side-by-side with my SP B3.
I have 3 MD421's, and it would feel kinda weird to not use them... so I'm wary of getting more M179's for toms...
Good deal.
Apparently once you use them for tom you won't go back to the MD421...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's a great price, my pair arrived today, made an offer for $220 for the both of them, then around £40 to get them shipped to the UK, then a further £24 for VAT and clearance.

Still all in all I would be saving than if a payed a whopping £140($230) PER MIC on DV247...

The guy that sold me them marked them as a gift. Would I have got import duty on that if he hadn't? It was only £15 VAT on them and an unavoidable £8 for Parcelforce clearance from customs.

Thing was I emailed the guy and he said he wouldn't mark them as a gift. Oh well.

I might try them on overheads and toms and snare, also for stereo recording acoustic guitar and upright piano.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
they will blow you away on all the apps you guys have listed. (that is the M179). I have used the M179 when money allows I'm actually going to be purchasing a 3-pack of them. Bass cabs, overheads, acoustic guitars, toms, electric guitars, vocals, room mics, etc.

I picked up the M177 pair I have for $80 each a little while back from MF I think it may have been a stupid deal of the day thing.

Long story short I prefer them over MD421, e609, SM57, i5, D2, D4, D6, ATM25, ATM250, etc on toms.

Now those other mics can still be used for tom miking and sound great, I just prefer the results for the stuff I do with the M177 and M179 much much better. I mainly do blues, classic rock, and some indie/alternative with more of a british flavor to it (my influences are mostly british rock bands and I live in America so that's how I describe it to be accurate).

I will use my M177 pair as overheads and the M179 mics for toms (I think but that can get tricky). I could use the M179s as overheads and FOK and do like Blumlein or a FOK and Glyn Johns method (experimenting with the variable patterns).

Really I knew they'd at least do a good job on toms from all the hype around here but they actually met or surpassed the rave reviews they got here at least in my opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about guitar cabinets how do they do there, 4x12's 1x12's etc?

VS the 421 or handy 57?
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
About the kick - how well do they do outside a kick? I am thinking of one for that purpose.
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh! ➡️
About the kick - how well do they do outside a kick? I am thinking of one for that purpose.
I haven't tried it there, but I suspect it would be pretty darn good - mine right now is sitting over my floor toms, and it does GREAT on those.
Old 8th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
waiting for 2 cad m179's..how are these mics figure 8 acoustic and vocal same time? anyone.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro ➡️
waiting for 2 cad m179's..how are these mics figure 8 acoustic and vocal same time? anyone.

Haven't used them that way in fig-8. They did great as a Blumlein pair for a small vocal group in a living room....

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I will be ordering a pack of 3 from zen pro audio in 2 weeks or so.
Can't wait to try them!
📝 Reply