The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KRK V8 Series One - thoughts?
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
KRK V8 Series One - thoughts?

Hey... I just got a great deal on a pair of KRK V8 (First Series) for a crazy good deal over craigslist. I had been meaning to upgrade from my Rokit-5s for a while (the weakest link in my setup). I got them home, and listened to some mixes. I was kind of surprised....

I had read that they were somewhat boomy and hyped in the low-end, but that's not what I found at all. I definitely hear a lot more detail and separation... I am hearing verbs more clearly, and I'm hearing WAY more articulation in the high end... but I'm certainly not feeling a hyped low-end. In fact, my rokit-5s have slightly more low end. I'm running the two sets together at the moment, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

So, I'm actually quite happy with my purchase, but somewhat in disagreement with some things I've read about the first series V8s.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with V8s?
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Did the V8s1 have the inverted kevlar dome tweeter?

-tINY

Old 22nd February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Paul Northfield used them to do the systematic Chaos CD. He's a fan. I then bought a pair so we could do the surround mixes. I think there awesome. The only thing I can say negatively is that KRK must have a bad quality control department. Check your speakers closely in a proper environment. We had trouble finding a proper matched pair. We went through 3 pairs before we found our match. They have a good warranty though. I hope you have yours.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

That was a few years ago if you went through 3 pairs of series 1 V8 monitors.

-tINY

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
right...2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have a love-hate relationship with them, I want something new, but my clients are happy with what they hear, so I guess they do the job. I also got them on great deal, guess we're like foster "studio monitor" parents, in this case KRK V8's first version
Old 23rd February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

-tINY

nope, it's not inverted.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadlington ➑️
right...2006

The series 2 was recently discontinued... I'm pretty sure that the series one wasn't available new in 2004....

Where did you find the pile of old monitors? Did they have any E8 monitors with the inverted kevlar tweeters left?

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

-tINY
Only the E7s and the E8s oh yah and the older passive 6000s, 7000s and 9000s
Old 23rd February 2008
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestranger ➑️
Hey... I just got a great deal on a pair of KRK V8 (First Series) for a crazy good deal over craigslist. I had been meaning to upgrade from my Rokit-5s for a while (the weakest link in my setup). I got them home, and listened to some mixes. I was kind of surprised....

I had read that they were somewhat boomy and hyped in the low-end, but that's not what I found at all. I definitely hear a lot more detail and separation... I am hearing verbs more clearly, and I'm hearing WAY more articulation in the high end... but I'm certainly not feeling a hyped low-end. In fact, my rokit-5s have slightly more low end. I'm running the two sets together at the moment, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

So, I'm actually quite happy with my purchase, but somewhat in disagreement with some things I've read about the first series V8s.

You did a great upgrade, i hate the rokits..lol
Ive been using V8s (1st series) for years, they are close enough and make $$ 4 me.
Hope you enjoy the V8s.
Old 23rd February 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestranger ➑️

when reading gearslutz, remember to trust your ears first... your eyes come on the list somewhere after gut and the hair on the back of your neck!!!

I had a similar experience... I read different things about the v8II series but I UPGRADED from the RP8 to the V8II... Greatest thing to happen to my listening environment... in close second were the mixcubes
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I got a great deal on a pair off craigslist last year also - $350 for the pair.

I love them, super detailed high end, and i'd agree that the lows are most definitely NOT hyped. I actually have been relying on my KEF tower speakers to check sub bass (obviously not ideal, i know)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGetDown ➑️
I got a great deal on a pair off craigslist last year also - $350 for the pair.

I love them, super detailed high end, and i'd agree that the lows are most definitely NOT hyped. I actually have been relying on my KEF tower speakers to check sub bass (obviously not ideal, i know)
yeah man, i totally agree about the detail. i really enjoy them....

and get this... i got mine for $150 for the pair. the craigslist ad was about 8 minutes old. i was just at the right place at the right time. insane, right? i'd bet that he got a LOT of calls and emails after i had already picked them up!
Old 25th February 2008
js1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought mine soon after they came out, and paid a LOT more than what they're going for now.

They've served me well, though I must admit that I'm not using them for my mains, as I find them somewhat fatiguing. I also end up struggling with the bass balance on them (in my semi-tuned room).

I've reverted to old cheapie Tannoy 6.5 PBMs for my main mix duties, with the V8s as a second reference. But, wouldn't be surprised if I flip back to them at some point.

js
Old 25th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The series 2 was recently discontinued... I'm pretty sure that the series one wasn't available new in 2004....

Where did you find the pile of old monitors? Did they have any E8 monitors with the inverted kevlar tweeters left?

-tINY

Northfield originally wanted the e8's, but we couldn't get them at the time. Guitar Center had a ton sitting in there stock room.
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
KRK's Rock

Have a pair of these and can highly recommend them for long sessions in particular as they are not fatiguing. They are great for most pop rock stuff.
They are not the most accurate and they are not the most hyped they are kind of in the middle and that's why I like them.
Old 10th October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I had both V8 ser 1 and later had a pair of V8 ser 2 when the originals were stolen, both are great monitors. But when I was recently in a shop that sold KRK 8 (don't know ezact model) the price was less than half of what mine cost ( I believe retail of V8 ser 2 was about 1300.dollars) and they sounded terrible compared to the older monitors. Where's the progress here?
Old 10th October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I had V8 ser 1 and when they were stolen I bought a pair of the series 2, they retailed about 1300 dollars I think. Anyhow recently in a shop I heard krk 8's (don't know the model but was told these are the new 8's) and besides costing less than half of what the series 2 cost (I think both 1 and 2 cost about the same) they sounded terrible compared to the earlier models.I still use the V8 ser 2, and would probably still have the ser 1, and what I liked was how they projected compared to other monitors, they were both very clear sounding (I'm talking about "around 1000 dollars per pair).
Old 18th May 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am a little hazy I think as to which ones I have... the series 1 or 2. Embarrassing since I OWN them. I even modded mine. I changed op amps and caps and made mine in the to best sounding mixing monitors I've ever heard. That said though... what are the differential markings between series 1 & 2?

(edited 5 min later) I definitely have the series 2. I'd love to hear a pair of the first ones.

Anyway... find me on facebook Danieldialatone if anyone has questions about the mod. I've done Yamaha's, Dyn Audio's, Fostex, and Mackie just to name a few... HUGE improvements in each case.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I recently came into possession of a pair of KRK V8 Monitors serial number #000464 and #000650 with a push button fuse on the back panel. I have not been able to locate a pair quite like this does anybody have history or information on these?
πŸ“ Reply