The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
oktava mc012/mk012 large diaphragm capsules
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
oktava mc012/mk012 large diaphragm capsules

first post!

so, i've been lurking around here for a couple weeks and i figured it was time to join in. i searched through all the old threads trying to find a clear description/comparison of the different large diaphragm capsules available for the mc012's and found lots of people mentioning different ones (red, LOMO, mk-102) but little discussion of how they sound in relation to each other. i certainly like the idea picking up an LD capsule for one or both of my mc012's, but am unsure where to start. any opinions or suggestions?

thanks!
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Small diaphragm condenser

Maybe you just made a Typo but this is a Small diaphragm condenser. It does have interchangeable capsules to provide a choice of cardioid, hypercardioid or omni-directional polar patterns. But that's it as far as I know. Yes, there is much info on the web about these Mics...
Here's the Specs
Oktava MK-012 condenser microphone. Oktava-online - only genuine Russian made studio microphones
Try this place for more Info...
Microphones - Home Recording dot com BBS
You need to register to be able to use the search but it only takes a minute.

Good Luck,
O.
Old 6th October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great mics! I use the cardioid and omni capsules pretty regular. An omni capsule will give you the ability to eliminate proximity effect. This works well with acoustic guitars when you want the mic real close without too much bass.

I also use th omni as a FOK mic on Drums or Room mic.

Cardioids are great too. Get both and mess around with them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddionut ➑️
Maybe you just made a Typo but this is a Small diaphragm condenser.
O.
I think hes talkin about the lomo style big head for the 012 body.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud ➑️
I think hes talkin about the lomo style big head for the 012 body.
yeah, and the one made by red and i think theres another one?
anybody?
Old 7th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have also been a lurker, but was also wondering if anyone has had direct experience with one of the original LOMO capsules, the newer ones (similar to the LOMO capsules) I've seen, or the red capsule. I would assume that the red capsule has to be pretty decent since red is owned by the same company that makes blue microphones.

The Trusted Source for Genuine Russian Oktava Microphones and So Much More!!!! - RTT M1 "LOMO" head assembly for the MK012
The Trusted Source for Genuine Russian Oktava Microphones and So Much More!!!! - RTT M3 "LOMO" head assembly for the MK012
Oktava MK-101 "LOMO" Capsule for the Oktava MC/MK-012 - (eBay item 180135333176 end time Oct-28-07 09:18:41 PDT)
VintageMicrophone.com > Red Mic Capsule Replacement for the <br> Oktava MK-012

juan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
my 012 Cardiod took a digger about three month's ago
gravity can ruin a Mic
the tile is not at fault
any how I was thinking about taking the 012 body
and putting it in one of my wooden Mic cases
and buying a nice capacitor
and actually suspending the capacitor instead of the Mic casing
but all inside the Mic body

any one have a link to those Chinese made capacitors
that are assembled in the US

according to my scientific data tile is harder than the 012 Cardiod capsule
no need to research this your self
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've got to check out your inventions big!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
I've got to check out your inventions big!
the pet golf ball is nothing more than a golf ball renamed
THE PET GOLF BALL

its sounds like th-ea not the
much better than the pet golf ball
it gives the golf ball much more dignity
according to my studies golf balls behave better
when pronounced th-ea pet golf ball

the golf ball that I called the golf ball rolled away
I can't find it
that or my sister kid took it back

the hanger that doesnt hang is top secret BTW
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I figured that out. But I think it's much better named a pet golf ball. Perhaps you're a pet GOOF ball? heh Oops. Top secret.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is also this one: RTT M6 - available in Asia, at least...
http://www.oktavaasia.com
Attached Thumbnails
oktava mc012/mk012 large diaphragm capsules-m6_02.jpg  
Old 8th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ok, so that brings the list to:
M-1
M-3
M-6
MK-101
MK-102
Red Lollipop
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's all I've heard of, though there is the The MK-103 mid-sized 19.5 mm capsule. But, I haven't seen the cap alone for sale.

Also, search RTT here (if you haven't already), in particular this short thread:

Has anyone tried the LOMO M1 Head for the Oktava MK012?

It gives a little insight re: RTT caps on MK-012 bodies and voltage/character issues.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Lomo m1 head

FWIW, I think the lomo head on the oktave body is a pretty huge sounding mic for the $$$. Got an expensive sounding kind of magic in the midrange reminiscent of a u87. Is it as good as a u87. no, but it sounds great on the right sources.
Taylor Johnson from "the soundroom" (oktava.com) kinda summed it up nice in one of his q/a about the micI paste in here from their website...

"2) Does it sound like a Neumann U87 if it is using a Neumann-type capsule? Listen...Think of it like this..... If you take an engine from a PORSCHE 911 and strap it into a Volkswagen Beetle, you DON'T get a PORSCHE, but you DO get "one HELL of a ride"! "
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
- funny, I think the M6 is supposed to similar to the M1 - just not a lollypop. I've heard the RTT's are nice, but since the were designed to operate at a higher voltage - I think that's where some of the extra character is coming from. They do look cool, too.

I said this in some of the other threads: while I'm interested in the LDC and MDC caps, I'm plenty happy with my 6 cap SDC pair. I probably go with the OktavaMods for the bodies, before I'd add any caps.

Speaking of OM, I'd consider their modded LDC caps to be nearly a different cap altogether, now that I think about it (101 & 102).
Old 10th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I just sent my 319 in to be mod'ed by the guy that sells 012 upgrade kits on ebay. If it works out, I will send 2 of my 012's to him for the Scott Dorsey mod and then will probably give a red capsule a try. The time frame for getting the red capsule is maybe 6-8 months from now (I'm low on the whole cash thing), but I will be sure and post a review when I get it. Someone's got to try the thing, right?

Juan
Old 25th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
as an update for any who are interested, i've just scored both the red capsule and the mk 102 capsule used on ebay and will get them this week. maybe some sound clips will be in order, if there is interest?
Old 25th October 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, I would very much like to hear how the red capsule compares with the 102.
I bought an MK-012-20 MSP8 set (stereo pair with all three SD capsules and 102's) some time ago, and have been very pleased. But the red alternative is also very interesting.

Juha
Old 26th October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebells ➑️
as an update for any who are interested, i've just scored both the red capsule and the mk 102 capsule used on ebay and will get them this week. maybe some sound clips will be in order, if there is interest?
yes! yes!
Old 10th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
interested people... i've got the lomo caps and a red cap. so far, i'm pretty much steadily preferring the lomo. i will soon do a more direct comparison though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW, M1 and M3 are the same, just look different.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebells ➑️
interested people... i've got the lomo caps and a red cap. so far, i'm pretty much steadily preferring the lomo. i will soon do a more direct comparison though.
I would love to hear sound clips if you ever get the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had the 103 head here for a few days. I was using it with a "Jorsey" modded 011. It was excellent on vocals. On acoustic guitars, I did not like it as much as the stock-tava 012, or the modded 012. It became sloshy pretty quick, even after many different placements.

On vocals it had a big, dare I say "warm" characteristic to it?
Old 22nd November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any more feedback on these capsules would be received with great interest.
Old 25th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
wow, the Red capsule at vintagemicrophone.com is only $99 right now!! untill dec. 31.....VERY tempting, any thoughts on that piece?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGetDown ➑️
wow, the Red capsule at vintagemicrophone.com is only $99 right now!! untill dec. 31.....VERY tempting, any thoughts on that piece?
That just might push me over the edge. I PM'ed a guy on homerecording.com who owns a pair. I will ask him if I can copy his take on the capsule in this thread,

Juan
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Wow!

juan162,
If you could post any information you find on the capsule, that would be very much appreciated.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
- thanks! I hadn't noticed this. I ordered up a couple as my "poor guy" X-mas present - much cheaper than the items I was looking at. You also get an additional $20 discount on a pair! So, for $178 (with free shipping), how could you lose?

Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
Thanks for the heads up. I had a coupon code from doing a survey for them, so I just ordered it for $74--even better!

Bear
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I went ahead and bought one last night. I couldn't resist. There were 56 left in stock when I purchased, so get 'em while they got 'em.
πŸ“ Reply