The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I Have a Yamaha MT8X Cassette MTR Coming…Thoughts On Quality Recordings??
Old 21st October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker of Rock ➡️
Baaaaaaaad ASS!!

So that’s a mini disc recorder right? Do you know what the “error” msg on the screen is?
Correct , its Error 01 , wont read discs ...

im clearing out a bunch of stuff i dont use anymore ... and its all going on gumtree , daddy needs a new turbo for the ute !
Old 24th October 2022

🎧 5 years
...Randy Feltface buys a bookshelf off Gumtree.
Old 28th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbrchckn ➡️
OMG, I remember Randy Feltface from Jr HS! I have a good rodgering to his mom
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ordered this today for the MT8x
Attached Thumbnails
I Have a Yamaha MT8X Cassette MTR Coming…Thoughts On Quality Recordings??-cb24bd7e-8fc5-4409-b8aa-820576553da0.png  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbrchckn ➡️
what a random comment to make , i love it !
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Got the voltage converter but haven’t plugged it into the MYR yet. I’m flying to Indianapolis next week and am trying to catch up with work before I leave
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
‘80s/‘90s gig of an Indianapolis band that ruled that city back in the day. Drummer had a gig at the Whisky recently and they needed a BP and afterward decided to reform the old band. https://sweetfarocks.com/

So they are headlining and my band and another in the same era are opening. Besides the cold weather it should be fun.
Attached Thumbnails
I Have a Yamaha MT8X Cassette MTR Coming…Thoughts On Quality Recordings??-9b4f7d38-dcdd-4813-9232-f788ece119e9.jpeg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Felony is my retro band btw…we get no pics on the billboard as the openers
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Have the step down X former and all is well, just need to purchase a few tapes now
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Manual says CRO2 is what it’s designed and calibrated for
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker of Rock ➡️
Manual says CRO2 is what it’s designed and calibrated for
aaah chromium dioxide ... i remember back in the early 80's crashing the huge hifi conventions held up the road at the Artarmon Inn ... my friends and I knew the secret pathways ( car park entry ... not really secret ) to the inner sanctum .. and we spent hours looking at absolutely every piece of gear there and all you could smell was isopropyl alcohol in the air ..

So i take it tapes are still manufactured these days ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nope - unfortunately type ii tapes aren't manufactured any more (or at least if they are they're so crap they're better ignored).

So ebay/thrift stores are your friend. and that leads to: what tapes have lasted the best? Your local climate may be a factor in that.

Go for C60 type II of good brands, sony/maxell/thats, maybe others. I'd ignore TDK because in my personal experience they haven't been reliable tapes over the long haul.

C60 is a thicker base-tape and will generally be better survived and better cope with lots of shuttling back and forth during multitracking.

Screwed (not sonic-welded) cases are good, as most tape issues are really case issues and you can easily re-house a tape to see if it improves when required. the little squares of felt (the 'pad-lifter') can easily be replaced.

Record at the start of the tape for just under half your time. record another song at the 'start' of side B. make sure they don't clash :D
That's because old tapes and old tape drives broadly start to struggle more the further into the tape you are, so this way your recordings are always at the 'start' of the tape.

Given that machine and tape are both old, keep the machine (heads, tape path, capstan, pinch rollers) scrupulously clean, that gives it all a better chance.

Store tapes so the pancake of tape is stood on its side, not flat.
When you get a new (or old) tape in your hands give it a few windings forwards and backwards, just to wake everything up. It may have been sat for three or thirty years.

All these things just fractionally improve the situation, which is important when the basic material is increasingly marginal. The nature of the beast though is that sometimes a tape will betray you... you have to accept that :D
📝 Reply