Quantcast
Homemade simple rack plans? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Homemade simple rack plans?
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Homemade simple rack plans?

I'm looking to build a couple simple 8-space equipment racks to sit on my desktop. Does anyone know anywhere that has simple plans on like.. what kind of wood is best, type of screws/glue to use, dimensions, etc? I don't need anything fancy, and I'd rather not have to blow like $100+ on a little rack that could probably be made easily with a table saw, some sandpaper, and the right screws, glue (and rails of course).

thanks!
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After geting burned well not really in this case but hey because to different vendors rack ears were slightly different in width here is what I do I buy say for sets of rails from westpenn and to filler panels screw on the filler panels mesure the width ( add 1/4) the build to suit a simpe box with dado edges using wood gue and bards use a couple of washers spaced between the rails and sides (that extra 1/4 gives some play and space for any slightly wide front panels I build racs slight ly deep and use rear rails so that I can rack or rack shelf psus and use rails to ie cable ties for routing!
Old 7th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dude they are so cheap now it'll cost you way more to build one. wood is real expensive and then you gotta add rack strip, etc

just buy one from thomann or whoever is equivilent in usa
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 ➑️
dude they are so cheap now it'll cost you way more to build one. wood is real expensive and then you gotta add rack strip, etc

just buy one from thomann or whoever is equivilent in usa
Agreed. I posted a thread about looking for plans last week. I though about building a 10-12 space rack myself. After pricing wood and rails, etc.... and then add up your time, just buy one. You can even look for a used one on Ebay or craigs list.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorl ➑️
Agreed. I posted a thread about looking for plans last week. I though about building a 10-12 space rack myself. After pricing wood and rails, etc.... and then add up your time, just buy one. You can even look for a used one on Ebay or craigs list.

maybe used would be worth it, but if you take the time to build one on your own, it will be a lot better quality than the MDF crap they build racks out of these days.

i would suggest a hard wood (birch, oak, etc.) that can hold a decent amount of weight. i bought middle atlantic rails and found that 19 and 1/8" apart was perfect for my gear (i just used a non-working mpx 100 to measure). you can take a look at the photo if you want to see the result. (it's a full desk, but made of two boxes, one of which is a rack). i built this whole desk for a fraction of building materials cost than some fiberboard crap from Argosy would have cost me. took me a solid late night to build (bout 7 hours).

if you want more detailed help with this send me a PM.

good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade simple rack plans?-studiodesk.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnetic ➑️
maybe used would be worth it, but if you take the time to build one on your own, it will be a lot better quality than the MDF crap they build racks out of these days.

i would suggest a hard wood (birch, oak, etc.) that can hold a decent amount of weight. i bought middle atlantic rails and found that 19 and 1/8" apart was perfect for my gear (i just used a non-working mpx 100 to measure). you can take a look at the photo if you want to see the result. (it's a full desk, but made of two boxes, one of which is a rack). i built this whole desk for a fraction of building materials cost than some fiberboard crap from Argosy would have cost me. took me a solid late night to build (bout 7 hours).

if you want more detailed help with this send me a PM.

good luck.
Nice! That is definitely worth it. I think the bigger the project, the more value you will get out of doing it yourself, especially if you have the tools and know the basics of what you are doing.

But for me, my time was worth more than it was worth spending the extra $30 on an already made rack. And, in fact, the rack is very nice and well put together. One problem I've had with building my own stuff (cases), versus buying something is that mine always weighs way too much....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not really easy to see, but the one on my desk is 3 spaces wide and 3 high and provides a nice shelf for screens and monitors.

The 8 space for my guitar racks was easy to build as well. They were built with 1/2" plywood, and covered in a fake brown leather and both built for a total of 40$. Plus with the covering, it wipes down easy, and you don't need to spend extra on a nice finish for the wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade simple rack plans?-studio-rack.jpg  
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
While not just racks, I built my own desk and it cost 10% of what Argosys or vendors would have charged for similar. I did buy my 12 space SKB shock racks for touring however.
Old 23rd August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be building two 5-space racks for either side of my desk. I got the rails free from work (leftover from an audio-visual installation) and the ply I am getting from a family member who is redoing his garage, all I need are the scraps to cut to what I need. Will definitely come off cheaper than anything premade! plus the fun of building.
πŸ“ Reply