The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Needing a nice comp for bass
Old 25th January 2022 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
You guys are talking bass, but I've heard the KT-76 get pretty crunchy/distorted (on drums). Just sayin...
It distorts eventually like any hardware - but you've got to hit it hard - it's much cleaner than a usual 1176 and requires to be driven much harder before it distorts - and it doesn't do so in a particularly pleasing manner either (IMHO).
Old 25th January 2022 | Show parent
  #32
160A found! From Italy! So now the path I would like to hear is
a) bass-reddi-160A-clarett
or
b) bass-reddi-mic preamp-clarett???

I wish I could A/B some pre's but unfortunately
that's never gonna happen.
Old 25th January 2022 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
jdier's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT ➡️
An 1176 style comp is pretty classic too for bass., esp for rock n roll. Basically opposite of the la2a style compression. An 1176 is usually cheaper, too.
At the given price point I would personally build a Hairball 1176. I have a 1176 and LA2A. I think the 1176 is more versatile
Old 26th January 2022 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend ➡️
It distorts eventually like any hardware - but you've got to hit it hard - it's much cleaner than a usual 1176 and requires to be driven much harder before it distorts - and it doesn't do so in a particularly pleasing manner either (IMHO).
I've only heard it in clips, but really I haven't been disappointed. In this clip he gets it pretty distorted etc and fwiw, I don't think it sounds too bad!

Old 26th January 2022 | Show parent
  #35
Αny thoughts about going from reddi to ISA before clarett or clarett pre is in the same leage?
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by villis ➡️
Αny thoughts about going from reddi to ISA before clarett or clarett pre is in the same leage?
You probably want something more colored than the ISA. Don't know the Clarett well enough to comment.
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
  #37
i am still searching. i can't find a reason yet to push cash(500-600$) without a good improvement in my chain

i have fount a dbx160a in a good price and this is the only unit i am considering at this moment...but as i said still searching
i would like to hear some folks who uses Reddi although
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
  #38
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by villis ➡️
i can't find a reason yet to push cash(500-600$) without a good improvement in my chain
That is very smart. The longer you wait, the more cash you accumulate and new options will surface.
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
NEWTON IN ORBIT's Avatar
I'll make things more complicated. The FMR PBC is great.

Also, I almost sold off a very old JOE MEEK VC3, the one made in England.
I used to use this in the 90's when I had nothing.

I pulled it out a few months ago, and this compressor kills on bass. It's dark, but not that colored if not squashed to oblivion. Easy to get that Jeff Berlin type finger style bass sound with this little box, and active pickups.

The KT76 is more transparent, but still colored. No, not exactly like an 1176.

Cleaner, not quite as smacky on drums, but we're talking bass.

DBX will always work. Reliable. 160 or 165 best, any will do for controlling dynamics.
The newer models less colored, and maybe less exciting.

I almost sold that Meek, but I'm keeping it.
The money I'd get from it wouldn't bring the little bit of enjoyment I get from this box.

Puts your bass front and center. It won't get lost in the mix with that thing. Say what you will about the Meek stuff, I like it. Kinda like a darker LA3 in my very humble opinion. Which I also have.
I wish it had a mix or blend knob, it'd be perfect.
I just used a split with a Jensen DI.

Avoid the later Joe meek stuff.
Only try the English ones.

Good luck.
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➡️
Also, I almost sold off a very old JOE MEEK VC3, the one made in England.
I used to use this in the 90's when I had nothing.

I pulled it out a few months ago, and this compressor kills on bass. It's dark, but not that colored if not squashed to oblivion. Easy to get that Jeff Berlin type finger style bass sound with this little box, and active pickups.
The compressor on that is mad (I have one) goes from gentle to practically limiter with the tiniest input. but what is really special on bass is the exciter circuit (enhancer) - I use it in parallel during mix (too hard to gauge live) makes bass cut through on small speakers like nothing else!

Last edited by Scragend; 28th January 2022 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: .
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
NEWTON IN ORBIT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend ➡️
The compressor on that is mad (I have one) goes from gentle to practically limiter with the tiniest input. but what is really special on bass is the exciter circuit (enhancer) - I use it in parallel during mix (too hard to gauge live) makes bass cut through on small speakers like nothing else!
Glad I ain't the only one that likes this compressor. The meek stuff got slagged as not being good for many years. Maybe because of the later stuff, dunno, I have never heard those.

The old English ones used a SSM2017 Chip. All in one mic preamp chip. For many years, chips were the Devil's creation on GS. It was discrete with transformer, or nothing.

Now, of course, every converter we listen to is chock full of chips. A boatload of compressors all have a boatload of chips.

I'm past all that now. I listen, if it's doing something I like, I use it. Don't care.

Not a super stellar mic pre (good on clean strat and tele though cuz it tames the peaks), but I love it on bass gtr.

The funny thing, is you see all the UK made c2's, and sc2's in Grammy winning producer's racks.
Guys who are way better than I at production. Or way more successful at the very least. They must like it on something.

To each their own.
Just throwing it out as an idea is all.
Glad I am not alone.
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
NEWTON IN ORBIT's Avatar
Yeah, made in the old Neve factory. Must not be too crappy.
Now the prices are gonna go up for six weeks cuz I linked this dead thread...
Better grab one fast OP.

Different versions of Joemeek VC5
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
  #43
So DBX160A is on its way (the price was very good)

I will get back to you when i test my super sexy Warwick Steamer to Reddi - DBX160A- Clarett 2pre chain to hear what we ve got
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by villis ➡️
So DBX160A is on its way (the price was very good). I will get back to you when i test my super sexy Warwick Steamer to Reddi - DBX160A- Clarett 2pre chain to hear what we ve got
Should keep you busy!

I'm not familiar with the REDDI, but it seems to me that with at least 4 different ways of adding gain to your system you will need to do some careful gainstaging to make sure all the links in that chain of equipment are operating optimally.
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
Should keep you busy!

I'm not familiar with the REDDI, but it seems to me that with at least 4 different ways of adding gain to your system you will need to do some careful gainstaging to make sure all the links in that chain of equipment are operating optimally.
Yes i ll try to push hard reddi at 1-2 o clock and a little comp from dbx, i think so(i am really not sure cause its the first time i ve got it) and then i ll keep the pre of the clarett at minimum level. that's in my mind for now
Old 30th January 2022 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
NEWTON IN ORBIT's Avatar
Good choice on the dbx. It'll work on most anything, and get out of the way color wise. Pretty smooth and transparent for the most part.
Also, super easy to dial in.
Congrats, and good luck!
Old 30th January 2022 | Show parent
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➡️
Good choice on the dbx. It'll work on most anything, and get out of the way color wise. Pretty smooth and transparent for the most part.
Also, super easy to dial in.
Congrats, and good luck!
Thank you! Yes I like the simplicity when I record. I want to hear my bass character also and I am not really fun of plugins! The only plugin that I use is c2 fab fliter
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 0 views: 3188
Avatar for firby
firby 22nd March 2007
replies: 44858 views: 2807684
Avatar for JeffRush
JeffRush 2 weeks ago
replies: 6 views: 7802
Avatar for ddageek
ddageek 7th November 2013
replies: 171 views: 42176
Avatar for huub
huub 2nd January 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump