Lives for gear

...you could have PMed that... RLOL!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
...you could have PMed that... RLOL!
I should have, did think about it. It's really the first time I've discussed any of that period of my life, not for any other reason that win or lose up or down, it was mine. I think what some don't realise is that it's not just career or ambition...that was life, it was everything in the moment.
I did pull out some old photos from back then, and by some miracle, it felt pretty good. I'm as proud as am embarrassed by some of the past but I suppose the whole point was being in the moment, living and breathing the one thing that always mattered most. The business side of things had become a very slippery slope to traverse in my time, some would say it was the dawn of the end of proper record business...probably
Sent a friend request, we should at least have a pathway to continue any future reminisce. I deleted my last post because I felt it was a little too revealing for a forum, I'm not here to tramp anyone and I'm still a bit skiddish of that fanatic faction associated with folks like Bill, and tend to keep things close rather than running my neck too much in public..I like my quiet life now
Anyway, I can't imagine my life having not known the guy. I'm glad we had the chat we had here on GS
Be safe and well kind man
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
I gotta say I miss my crap gear because when I was using it I was younger, poorer and purer lol....
I was younger, stronger, healthier and the girls all wanted to dance with me. But the gear sucked!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ GeneHall was there ever a proper business in regards to the music business? I ask 'cause the cynic in me knows while there was a time people knew what sides of the biz they were on regarding the intermediaries between artist and label e.g. publicist, business and legal, marketing, etc. I always think of how many people got financially ****ed as opposed to how many didn't get it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall ➡️
I should have, did think about it. It's really the first time I've discussed any of that period of my life, not for any other reason that win or lose up or down, it was mine. I think what some don't realise is that it's not just career or ambition...that was life, it was everything in the moment.
I did pull out some old photos from back then, and by some miracle, it felt pretty good. I'm as proud as am embarrassed by some of the past but I suppose the whole point was being in the moment, living and breathing the one thing that always mattered most. The business side of things had become a very slippery slope to traverse in my time, some would say it was the dawn of the end of proper record business...probably
Sent a friend request, we should at least have a pathway to continue any future reminisce. I deleted my last post because I felt it was a little too revealing for a forum, I'm not here to tramp anyone and I'm still a bit skiddish of that fanatic faction associated with folks like Bill, and tend to keep things close rather than running my neck too much in public..I like my quiet life now
Anyway, I can't imagine my life having not known the guy. I'm glad we had the chat we had here on GS
Be safe and well kind man
The funny thing is; I wasn't referring to you! No it wasn't too revealing IMO. We all have different motives and goals and purposes... The 'inner' thought behind major managers and labels is often misunderstood by most aspirers. Everything is in context. I have known label guys like Rosen, Levy, Akerman, Breitbart, Ertigans wing men and a ton of others. They have ALL been fantastic to learn from... and would not have traded it for the world... and their processes are still relevant today.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
The funny thing is; I wasn't referring to you! No it wasn't too revealing IMO. We all have different motives and goals and purposes... The 'inner' thought behind major managers and labels is often misunderstood by most aspirers. Everything is in context. I have known label guys like Rosen, Levy, Akerman, Breitbart, Ertigans wing men and a ton of others. They have ALL been fantastic to learn from... and would not have traded it for the world... and their processes are still relevant today.
Thanks for clearing that up. I had responded to your previous post and then deleted it, I'm sure some saw and it was nothing too controversial but it included names and the word freebasing so I felt I was over the line for a public forum. I never got high but I also never judged, we all had/have our vices, mine was never the dope or the drink. The booze did tend to bother me, I guess for my part I just didn't want to miss anything and drunks are by far the sloppiest ,imo. And for the record, I never saw Bill off his head, those guys seemed to be able to be excessive and still carry themselves in a manner one would expect

Absolutely spot on about aforementioned.
Bill introduced me to Ahmet with no prior warning, I just suddenly found myself in the office of the man himself. In 20 minutes I went from novice to journeyman.
Everything was much clearer from that point on.
Thanks for the connection and chat , stay safe and well
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame ➡️
@ GeneHall was there ever a proper business in regards to the music business? I ask 'cause the cynic in me knows while there was a time people knew what sides of the biz they were on regarding the intermediaries between artist and label e.g. publicist, business and legal, marketing, etc. I always think of how many people got financially ****ed as opposed to how many didn't get it.
To be honest, I never really encountered any scummy stuff.
People either had their act together, did their homework and were prepared, or they weren't.
Most instances I know of first hand were always down to pilot error, there is no conspiracy network waiting in the tall grass ready to pounce on the vulnerable..it's just business... Some people are good at it, some are better at it and some are woefully naive and a bit arrogant about it while others delusionally think talent alone is some magic oracle that will light the way.
Aside from that, like any business, it's about relationships.
A very important rule to adhere to is quite simple but eludes many..Be nice to people.
Be nice to people especially if you don't intuitively like them, just be nice to people.
No one wants to work with hang out or collaborate with assholes.
This can be a difficult thing to do at times, because most people, particularly people who aren't too smart only want to talk about themselves and how great they are, or about other people.
You have to be nice to these types too, in my experience.
If you approach things from a cynical perspective maybe this isn't for you, people sense and are acutely perceptive to this type of mindset and it's not intriguing sexy or interesting enough for anyone to invest any time in.
As for the finances, I worked for a Canadian artist signed to an New York label who had a lot of powerful friends in his corner helping him get on base. Regardless of all the inside support and marketing support from the label, he sold 14 (fourteen) CD's in 90 days. The label pressed and distributed 5,000 copies. To this day, he'll tell you he got ripped off and the VP of marketing was out to get him ( she wasn't). So I don't know, I'm sure there are cases of folks getting burnt down in business deals but you only ever hear one side of it and if you peel all the layers back on most of these claims, the truth revealed usually uncovers someone not fully understanding their obligations or liabilities to an agreement. I'm sure there are labels that have had deals go pear shaped but labels go into agreements trying to improve their business and the business of their roster and are quite passionate about both the music and the business. All industries have success stories and failed attempts stories. I personally failed many times before succeeding at what I succeeded at, without those failures success would never have been possible.
I think another important lesson is to know when to just go home. There comes a point in all things where if the past cannot provide a future to rely upon, then it's time to expand into what comes next. It's rarely what anyone believes is the future they are entitled to or deserve but it is a point worth considering."Success" must always be defined on a personal level and one cannot only use the external versions of success to move into what comes next with grace and dignity, and to that constantly redefining your personal version of success provides more than it limits.
An example, I have a friend who sold platinum albums in the 90's, invested in building his own coffee shop franchise in the Northwest and today owns a plantation in South America growing the coffee he sells in his shops.
When I think about him now, or on the ultra rare chat, I don't think of any of his past music related successes, I only think about how much I admire what a great Dad he is and how his kindness towards others is, to this day one of his most obvious traits.
Careful with being extremely cynical, it can take all your power away from you and set you on a course for a miserable life filled with grief and pain that will blind you from the fleeting moments of pure happiness and joy you encounter. Being cynical isn't a shield to protect oneself from the evils of the world, it's an inhibitor from reaching your highest form in all things you aspire to challenge yourself with. Not being cynical does not mean be a gullible guppy, any extreme value system is , over time, detrimental, in my experience.
Hope that's not too verbose or off topic..

Stay safe and well , thanks for your question and thoughts
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Going back to the "microphone" debate.

I got many cheap microphones, and I regret some of them (like the MXL990, MXL R-144, AT2035, Behringer C3). I find some microphones should not even be produced.

There are other cheap microphones that are pretty good. I'm definitely a fan of the SE 2200a (and the follow-up models), but I also like the t.Bone SC-1100 for instance.

I recently got a change to get a Neumann TLM-103. It's a great microphone, don't get me wrong. But it's not 5 times as good as the SE 2200a even though the price was. I find them equally versatile. For some voices the Neumann is better, for others the SE. No one has ever heard any quality difference between them. The right microphone for the right voice/sound is more important here.
You don't have to agree, it's just my opinion.

Do I have too much low end gear?

In the microphone department: yes, definitely the ones mentioned (and except for the MXL 551 which I like, I stay clear of the brand because of previous bad experiences), some Samson C02's (makes me avoid the brand altogether), and probably some SM-58 or SM-57 clones (note: get the real thing: the originals ARE low end price wise, especially when used).

My favourites in the "drawer" (which is almost a complete closet) include many SE Microphones (multiple 2200s of different generations, a couple of SE 1a pencils, a pair of R1's, a few X1, and X1-S , a Z3300a, a Z5600a II, an ICIS and a Gemini II) compared to the 1500-15000$ microphones these all cheap.
The dirt cheap microphones I like are the t.Bone SC-450, SC-1100 and SCT-2000 microphones. Even cheaper, but still great in my book, especially the latter two.

I have no problem with my TLM-103 (and I have worked with U-87 Ai, BCM-104 among other Neumanns), it's a great microphone, but I love those other ones too.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oops I did it again...

I sold my P220 and my AKG D5...

And got the black Rode NT1 for $150.

Low end, I can't leave you...
Gear Guru

That's an excellent price, for a very good mic.
Did you get the whole Kit for that?
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
That's an excellent price, for a very good mic.
Did you get the whole Kit for that?
Chris
Thanks, Chris. It came with the older configuration with the Rycote SMR shockmount and the rectangle dual layer pop filter (I see there is a generic AKG Perception looking mount now, and this Rycote one is $60-$70 extra. Ayyy! Win.).

I think the mount seems great (I have a Rode Videomic Pro R w/ similar springy plastic), and the pop filter kind of tames things in a way I like, on first impressions.

I had some misconceptions about this mic for sure - It's brighter than I thought it would be, and has less low end than I thought it would. "Softer" and more delicate sound than i expected.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have an EV Cobalt 4 I got for $17-
Never really used it but so cool looking. Ed mics are the best looking dynamics imho...

With reminiscing, why don’t I remember the good things I did? Only remember the dumb shit and bad clowning lol...!

I have a friend who was in NYC back when it had the Berlin in the 20’s scene. He knew a cult opera pop guy they called Ticketface because he’d show up and they’d get in...always loved the name and envy him the stories. Honestly the only reason to do this crazy business.....was more fun before turning corporate. Anything is!...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Low or high, it's all good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by caotico ➡️
I tend to buy low end stuff. I'm not a pro, and even though I love writing and recording music, I've had to admit that this is a hobby for me. For some of you, this is your business, and I respect that.

My question is about low-end gear. I tend to find the cheapest stuff I can: interfaces on sale, guitars on sale, off-brand guitars, budget mics. Anyway, I look at the gear I've acquired over the last decade, and I realize that I could have one or two expensive vocal mics that are standard, one American-made fender, and probably one fender tube amp, and I'd probably be fine, but instead I've got a kind of fun little collection of used gear and "sleeper" mics, etc.

I think I can get pretty good recordings that are more limited by my abilities than my gear, so anyway, I guess I would just ask if anyone here in low end theory has found themselves in the same boat? I tend to think that the name-brand, bigger budget items can't be worth all the extra cash they cost, and maybe I like the feeling of getting a good deal or making something else work that's a little different from what everyone else wants. Not much of a question I guess. Just wondering how others feel.
I have been learning, for 35 years, to do the best I can with the rig I have. I found myself very comfortable working with high-end equipment and in some cases failed to emulate those sounds using cheaper hardware. But at the same time I can use a reberb EHX pedal instead of a high-end lexicon unit ... The point is to be able to take advantage of everything that I have at hand. Right now I'm at home, printing and mixing using two channels AMEK-Neve pre, compressor and eq for the whole process. The only FX units I have here are a lexicon mpx-1 and a yamaha spx90 coffee maker ......My brother, he's a good sound engineer, always told me to use whatever helps me develop my creativity. Sometimes i get it with some cheap hardware. But again when I work or listen to records recorded with certain hardware elements I think again about mortgaging my house

Last edited by Notalycs; 2 weeks ago at 10:12 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar mistakes ;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm dynamic mic shopping, fam.

Kind of want (used) a Heil PR40 for $200 and a Miktek PM9 for $100.

I realized I need more dynamics and a proper ribbon or two. I still haven't thought about that last part yet.

(my other dynamics - SM57, RE15, M80, Encore 200)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Numerous engineers I trust absolutely swear by the Heil PR40, some of them say it's their favorite mic – over expensive condensers, even. Definitely a safe buy, there! Should work on damn near anything with plenty of class.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I must say I’m always inspired by Reggae where they used whatever they had and used the vibe to punch thru.

You can do a lot with a little.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
I must say I’m always inspired by Reggae where they used whatever they had and used the vibe to punch thru.

You can do a lot with a little.
It's been a while since I was looking at info on reggae and Jamaican studios but I seem to remember stuff like API and MCI consoles along with other very pro equipment.

I think I could manage to "get by" with that kind of "whatever" gear.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Numerous engineers I trust absolutely swear by the Heil PR40, some of them say it's their favorite mic – over expensive condensers, even. Definitely a safe buy, there! Should work on damn near anything with plenty of class.
I have high hopes.

Dug this cover with the PR40 on vox and as a drum mic (with sE VR2 on kick).

BTW - loving my 3U Teal now.
Old 1 week ago
What Actually is Low End Gear?

Im actually tired of this. Hopefully, this will perspire. You know it; if you actually know, that is....Really, the only thing thats an issue with sound is NOISE. NOISE, NOISE, NOISE. Some certain things just have more noise. Whether it be a design problem or a user error problem or a malfunction in components. For instance, theres a lot of fancy stuff that just doesnt do what its supposed to do. Has the right brand, the sleek looks, and the prowess to back it, but even that just doesnt cut it.
Im jealous actually, but im not.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got the Heil PR40 because you folks have made the point over and over again in threads that you can get like A-level dynamics in this price point.

Also, my only outboard gear is a Cloudlifter CL-Z, hence why I decided to go back on a search for dynamics (and ribbons) after getting the point above.

And while searching for dynamics locally, I saw this PR40 listed for a while for $200 (with a stock photo)...and the wild thing is, since I hesitated a bit, the guy drove it to me for $165 and it was NEW. He said I was the only person that contacted him in months.

I love the instructions on it (photos).

Anyway, as with most gear, many people love it, some loathe it and want to sell it immediately. I kept trying to find examples with singing and instruments where someone interacted with it beyond a shootout, and it sounds musical and good to me in the video above, so i went for it.

Also, Progger, you've been encouraging and helpful on my search. Appreciate you.

And so many of you have shared insight and options in the threads over the years. Shout out the folks who are givers in this community.

So back to being on topic with the thread...

Since this thread started, I got:

SM57
3U Teal
Rode NT1
Heil PR40

For around ~$500

I could have had a used TLM102 or used AT4050.

I guess this is where OP is at with getting an RE20 on page 1.

But I feel like I can record so much with these mics...if only it wasn't for this pesky pandemic.

Since this thread I also picked up:

A 4' ATS corner bass trap for my little recording area
Two Audimute 8' sound blankets
Stedman xl pop filter
sE Reflexion filter
Canare and Mogami cables from eBay
3 pack of Audix D-Clip mic clips
Motu M4

I have my eyes set on more acoustic treatment this month. That's about it.

And possibly a used AT4041 because someone is selling a single locally for $125 without a clip, and my new D-Clips will work fine. I don't think adding the AT4041 will be "too much low end gear"?

Anyway back to trying to make money.
Attached Thumbnails
Too much low end gear?-heil.jpg   Too much low end gear?-heil2.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice! I'm jealous, I wish I could find a PR40 in mint shape for that price. Never gonna happen in Austin, I'm afraid, too many audio geeks.

An AT4041 is a perfectly professional mic. You've got enough stuff at this point to make some killer records, I hope we get to hear some soon!
Gear Addict

There is no such a thing as unprofessional mic. I am amazed at some people comments. AT4041 is way above the quality of most of resent SDC clones. Don't think about how much it is, listen to how it sounds.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava A ➡️
There is no such a thing as unprofessional mic.

I am amazed at some people comments. AT4041 is way above the quality of most of resent SDC clones. Don't think about how much it is, listen to how it sounds.
How about this???

It's $12

Can it rate as professional if the user can figure out which end to talk or sing into?

Maybe it's a condenser version of a 421???

Yeah, that'z it.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
How about this???

It's $12

Can it rate as professional if the user can figure out which end to talk or sing into?

Maybe it's a condenser version of a 421???

Yeah, that'z it.
Ha-ha! Where did you get that? Personally I don't rate other people gear as professional, non-professional or amateur. I find it kind of silly.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava A ➡️
Ha-ha! Where did you get that? Personally I don't rate other people gear as professional, non-professional or amateur. I find it kind of silly.
A twenty second google search of $25 condenser microphone found me that gem.

I get what you are saying because the lines are so blurred these days it's easy to just give up and say that deciding something is professional or not is silly.

Making this even more complex, it really depends who you ask.

Somebody who owns a Neuman KM84 or a KM54 might say that an AT4041 isn't a "pro" piece of gear and while I do get what they are saying I still can't really completely agree.

I have a couple of MXL 603 mics kicking around that I should probably move along which are cheap small diaphragm condensers.

While I think these are ok for super cheap mics I would say these are a clear step down from something like an AT4041.

They feel budget, quite light weight and if you tap on them they are actually quite resonant. Their sound is pretty bright and without much body to them. Compared to an AT4041 these are clearly not something I would call a professional mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ JLast $25 is a price I wouldn't pay for a mic but I damn sure wouldn't drop $1000 or more on one even if I were a "pro."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Agreed about those MXLs... there's a wonderful concert series in Austin that I perform for occasionally that live-streams everything. The owner/operator of the venue and series is an excellent jazz pianist, but I really wish he'd upgrade his collection of MXL mics (he shelled out heavily for the space and the video cameras for streaming, which are fantastic). I started bringing my own mic whenever I play there.

Although I get why he doesn't prioritize upgrading mics since the MXL SDCs he uses on almost everything are "good enough" for most livestream purposes. I still think it would be a huge improvement if he'd just upgrade his piano and overhead mics to ATs, for example, and for not too much bread. But it's very hard to run a jazz concert series anywhere, and he has to be careful as hell about money, which I get!

If he ever wins the lottery I'm gonna beg him to take me mic shopping with him.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
I have a couple of MXL 603 mics kicking around that I should probably move along which are cheap small diaphragm condensers.

While I think these are ok for super cheap mics I would say these are a clear step down from something like an AT4041.

They feel budget, quite light weight and if you tap on them they are actually quite resonant. Their sound is pretty bright and without much body to them. Compared to an AT4041 these are clearly not something I would call a professional mic.
I also have a pair of MXL604. Bought them when they came out after reading raving reviews here on Gearslutz. Sent one back, got the replacement, then the other one started misbehaving. I learnt to work with them. Used them on a clarinet or other noncritical in terms of frequencies. No point selling them as I will only get $50 for both if I am lucky. If I did not have all this problems with MXL604 I would call them just another professional studio condenser. They just sound different from my AT4041, MK-012, etc.
What I've learnt though. Instead of calling this and that professional I do not keep anything from companies who's HQ is in US, Canada or Europe but the products are made we all know where.
I buy all this modern clones just to see how they compared to reliable gear and promptly return them in a week or so.
Gear Addict

BTW I recorded grand piano with just two MXL604. That grand was not bright and the hall was big. Recording came out OK and pianist had no problem paying me. But since then I don't take those MXLs out of my studio.
📝 Reply