Gear Addict
My take on this. Results are:
2% - What you can buy
98% - What you do with it
Old 13th December 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This is the Low End Forum. Recommending a U87 sets a target that is a pretty fair distance beyond the range of this forum’s financial artillery.
But I think there is some connection here to the points that I and elegentdrum were making. Beyond a good dynamic, if I had saved the money I spent on MXLs, NT1a and other low-mid condensers, I could have bought a classic mic or one of the new classics years ago.
Old 13th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
This is the Low End Forum. Recommending a U87 sets a target that is a pretty fair distance beyond the range of this forum’s financial artillery.
But I think there is some connection here to the points that I and elegentdrum were making. Beyond a good dynamic, if I had saved the money I spent on MXLs, NT1a and other low-mid condensers, I could have bought a classic mic or one of the new classics years ago.
It's all relative isn't it?
I mean, if setting up a basic functional working room, many would consider that low end, even if some would consider it still a goal to achieve, a dream if you will.
I suppose it is the point I was trying make earlier too, we can buy inferior tools as the money burns in the wallet or be disciplined and save up for the tools we need.
Progger made some really important 87 range alternatives that can be had for much less but still provide a professional result without a bunch of faffing around trying to put lipstick on a pig.
My takeaway over the years is that it has been far more frugal to invest beyond my immediate reach cash wise, and that took discipline, knowing that on any given day, life could take a swipe at that.
And yes as a previous post stated, 98% of it is what you do with what you have, which I think could be amended to also include the reality check of ~What can you do with it?'
You know..I can want my Volvo to be a Ferrari but who I'm kidding other than myself?
Does it have to be an 87? Maybe, maybe not but its probably better to shoot for the stars and land on the moon than to keep dressing up that pig...
Setting goals and making disciplined decisions is as much a part of it as the cash on hand me thinks.
Besides, who wants to keep dusting and cleaning around kit that isn't earning it's shelf space? I'd rather have less of a good thing for my choices than a room full resented unused purchases that offer me little to no choices.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As elegentdrums mentioned in his first post, he has like 70 mics, and finds the ones that hide the bad stuff and bring out the good stuff.

So the argument is that P220 and the X1S really don't qualify as vocal mics because they don't successfully do that. The P220 is close-ish out of the box, but it has some heavy sibilance. That harsh sound dominates at times.

The X1S feels wooly because there is a bass boost below 200Hz and some "esh-y" peak at the top. Not ess-y....esh-y. Those are the most forward sounds at times with this mic.

So yeah, the good nuances when singing, get overshadowed by "stuff" with these two mics.

I get it. I hear it.

But this happens on the high end too! The M147 in this thread! How about the C12vr?

Oh no...there is a Stellar X2 Vintage on craigslist.

OP, sorry to have derailed your thread. Maybe you got something out of this. I think I did.

Last edited by XHipHop; 13th December 2021 at 06:13 AM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall ➡️
I suppose it is the point I was trying make earlier too, we can buy inferior tools as the money burns in the wallet or be disciplined and save up for the tools we need.

I'd rather have less of a good thing for my choices than a room full resented unused purchases that offer me little to no choices.
I agree with the first part. If the second part means that a pallet full of C- gear is not equal to a few pieces of A (or even B+) gear, I agree with that as well.
Old 13th December 2021
Gear Guru

… the u87 sounds like utter crap on many vocalists…. People read that it’s a studio staple and assume that this means if they can afford one great mic, the 87 is the one they need…. There’s a reason there are so many used ones in the market lol

A proper studio absolutely does have 87s… and 47s, and 67s, and ribbons, and 414s, and all the sexy dynamics and everything in between.

The aea ku5a is a much better “expensive” mic… sounds better on a wider array of vocalists AND sounds killer on a gtr cab. An sm58 through a cloudlifter into a outboard preamp sounds like an “expensive” mic… actually, most dynamics take on a different life this way

Don’t let the cravings of the anonymous people in the rabbit hole of the Internet convince you to blow a month of rent on a stupid mic unless this mic is gonna make you money
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's all relative isn't it?
I mean, if setting up a basic functional working room, many would consider that low end, even if some would consider it still a goal to achieve, a dream if you will.
Progger made some really important 87 range alternatives that can be had for much less but still provide a professional result without a bunch of faffing around trying to put lipstick on a pig.
My takeaway over the years is that it has been far more frugal to invest beyond my immediate reach cash wise, and that took discipline, knowing that on any given day, life could take a swipe at that.
And yes as a previous post stated, 98% of it is what you do with what you have, which I think could be amended to also include the reality check of ~What can you do with it?'
You know..I can want my Volvo to be a Ferrari but who I'm kidding other than myself?
Does it have to be an 87? Maybe, maybe not but its probably better to shoot for the stars and land on the moon than to keep dressing up that pig...
Setting goals and making disciplined decisions is as much a part of it as the cash on hand me thinks.
Besides, who wants to keep dusting and cleaning around kit that isn't earning it's shelf space? I'd rather have less of a good thing for my choices than a room full resented unused purchases that offer me little to no choices.
No, it’s not relative. In no world should “get a u87” be a thing in the Low End Forum for crissakes
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
No, it’s not relative. In no world should “get a u87” be a thing in the Low End Forum for crissakes
In context of the OP, I think it is, or can be.

Low End doesn't have to be a life sentence.

I agree with you, in terms of this being a low end forum you have a point, but I'm just adding a perspective to the original post for discussions sake, or crissakes...;-)
Old 13th December 2021
Here for the gear

I think the instinct to transition from too much low-end hear to a minimal quality setup is a good one. But if you have a lot of gear because you like to experiment, you may also end up with a lot of more expensive gear too. The potential downside is financial, though at least when you move on from things they are more likely to continue their own musical journey than to become electronic waste.

I’ve really enjoyed renting lately, especially amps and mics that are a price consideration. I’ve had fun with everything and bought nothing. If I find something that I need to have around at all times, the rental cost to discover that will be well worth it. Feels better than purchasing/returning too. But of course rental options are more limited than buying options.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
… the u87 sounds like utter crap on many vocalists….

The aea ku5a is a much better “expensive” mic…

the cravings of the anonymous people in the rabbit hole of the Internet
1. Obviously an overstatement. The U87 is not the perfect mic for everyone. No mic is. But the 87 is a staple because it sounds at least good on many singers. I’ve never heard an 87 sound like “utter crap” on any singer, and I’ve never heard anyone other than bgood describe it so harshly. That said, I don’t own an 87 and don’t crave owning one. I’d certainly use (or at least try) one if it was set up for a vocal session.
2. I respect bgood’s opinion, and the Ku5a is a mic I’d already thought that I would love to try. But the statement that it is “much better” than a U87 is coming from someone who says an 87 often sounds like utter crap, so this isn’t coming from an unbiased ear.
3. I’m looking around, and I don’t appear to be living in a rabbit hole of any sort. I don’t even like carrots.
Gear Guru

Quote:
1. Obviously an overstatement. The U87 is not the perfect mic for everyone. No mic is. But the 87 is a staple because it sounds at least good on many singers. I’ve never heard an 87 sound like “utter crap” on any singer, and I’ve never heard anyone other than bgood describe it so harshly. That said, I don’t own an 87 and don’t crave owning one. I’d certainly use (or at least try) one if it was set up for a vocal session.
2. I respect bgood’s opinion, and the Ku5a is a mic I’d already thought that I would love to try. But the statement that it is “much better” than a U87 is coming from someone who says an 87 often sounds like utter crap, so this isn’t coming from an unbiased ear.
3. I’m looking around, and I don’t appear to be living in a rabbit hole of any sort. I don’t even like carrots.
Mate… this is not even a remotely controversial opinion! Again, if it was a magic bullet, studios would only buy 87s. That was my point

But seriously, the 87 can absolutely sound like utter sh1t on certain vox…. I’ve owned several vintage ones, new ones…. Even when I was doing in person sessions in LA, 87 was always auditioned never picked. 47 all day
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
if it was a magic bullet, studios would only buy 87s. That was my point
OK. Who said “magic bullet”?
And any studio with a multiple copies of only one expensive microphone is probably a rich person’s private studio. And that person would be interesting to know.
In the 70s and 80s, several of the “name” studios in LA had multiple 87s, and at most a pair of anything else. Those studios produced some of the most sold albums of all time. … utter crap?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I spend when I need to but I generally try out lower end first. I truly believe you can get great results from lower end gear but what it means is that you'll have to test more gear to find what works for you. You might discover that a lower end mic works great for your particular voice but if not you'll need to move up the price ladder. Many people aren't willing to go through the hassle and others only want to be seen with the big brands.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Mate… this is not even a remotely controversial opinion! Again, if it was a magic bullet, studios would only buy 87s. That was my point

But seriously, the 87 can absolutely sound like utter sh1t on certain vox…. I’ve owned several vintage ones, new ones…. Even when I was doing in person sessions in LA, 87 was always auditioned never picked. 47 all day
Not just controvesial but really this is the essence of bad information and misunderstanding in many or even most discussions on these forums.

These extreme opinion attitudes like mic "X" is crap when in reality it's been a studio standard for decades is really confusing to people trying to sort they way through how recording works.

Yes, there are differences between mics and you might feel that in your particular situation and opinion the U87 is clearly beaten by another mic.

This does not in any way mean that one can't get a very good quality recorded sound of about just about any voice (or instrument for that matter) with a U87 or even an SM57.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Enjoyed this thread earlier:

What is a real Neumann u87 substitute without the brand recognition

Many of the same points that were brought up here, but there's some history and other good things to think about in that thread. Some Bob Ohlsson on the u87, etc.

Just got back from moving my second desk and couch into my new room! Lessssgoooo! I wish the fiber internet guy would stop ducking me.

Some thoughts on my own low-end journey...

I'm passing on the Neat King Bee. I'm passing on the second X1 S. I WILL get a second P220 for $50 used (my first was a $30 throwin in a deal).

I think I can make money having a pair of P220's. (I will post about it if I do). C- gear that can expand my capabilities.

And if I'm wrong, I can throw them at an attacker and try to save my good $120 dynamic mics. They are super heavy and tank like. (I carried one "raw" in my backpack pouch the other day to test 48v on something I was buying).

So, I would say you all talked me out of spending about $250+, and gave me a chance to dive in deeper with some of the gear I do have and learn it better.

I'm not putting the chicken before the egg. If I make (or am on track to make) $100k next year, I will do a $10k mic shopping spree. If I make $50k-$99k, $2500 shopping spree.

If it's true that the capsule is 90% of the mic... there are low end mics with capsules I haven't tried yet. I still need to explore these options for a while.

I know what the Neumann capsules deliver.

Last edited by XHipHop; 13th December 2021 at 10:41 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

The aea ku5a is a much better “expensive” mic… sounds better on a wider array of vocalists AND sounds killer on a gtr cab. An sm58 through a cloudlifter into a outboard preamp sounds like an “expensive” mic… actually, most dynamics take on a different life this way
The Ku5A is an absolutely beautiful sounding microphone, one of my personal favourites. This is high end sound all day.
Wouldn't recommend it on shrilly soprano's or froggy tenors or celestion loaded cabinets.

An sm58 through a cloudlifter into a outboard preamp sounds like an “expensive” mic… actually, most dynamics take on a different life this way

Bollocks.

Sm58>Cloudlifter>Neve Preamp soundslike a Neve preamp hit hard on the front end
Sm58>Cloudlifter>TG2 sounds like a Chandler TG2 hit hard on the front end
Sm58>Cloudlifter>Langevin preamp sounds like a Langevin preamp hit hard on the front end.
At no point does the Sm58 sound like an expensive microphone, rather it sounds like a microphone run through an expensive preamp
Sm58>Cloudlifter>Art preamp sounds like ass, just louder
Sm58>Cloudlifter>Dbx preamp sounds like ass, just louder

This myth that the Sm58 contributes anything to the "expensive sound" other than source input needs to clarified. If I put my dodgy made in Mexico sm58 through my 8801's, I guarantee what your ears will hear and like is my 8801 doing all the heavy lifting.
In order to make an Sm58 "sound expensive", your'e going to need a top tier preamp, you can't escape the cost , and then you get the sound and tone of that expensive preamp selling the "sound".

Can the sm58 work?
Yes.
Will it sound expensive?
Not in this life

( For examples sake)
A more frugal attempt to make an sm58 "sound expensive" is to try and make it "sound unique".
An Sm58>TierraAudio Cocoa/Mint et al>Art preamp will have a character that one might call unique or even signatory.
That's a fraction of the cost of a high end preamp , less control over the sound but definitely unique.
Another option is a Soyuz Launcher, they aren't clean gain and offer some character on a budget
Believing Sm58>Cloudlifter>any low end preamp is going to sound expensive is a fools errand and bad intel.

I'm happy to disagree with anyone selling any notion that by simply putting a db bump box in line with an Sm58 and a cheap preamp is going create an expensive sound.
Not trying to pick anyone or go to war over this but that kind of statement deserves a clarified explanation , imo.

Old 13th December 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Gene-
I agree. The SM58 is a “jeans and work boots” mic and sound. If you need more gain, you either are using it at too great a distance, or on a source too delicate to match the best qualities of the mic… Or perhaps you have discovered the world’s wimpiest preamp.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Gene-
I agree. The SM58 is a “jeans and work boots” mic and sound. If you need more gain, you either are using it at too great a distance, or on a source too delicate to match the best qualities of the mic… Or perhaps you have discovered the world’s wimpiest preamp.
That is a great description. The attribute of the average sm58 never really accentuating any harsh detail makes it an indispensable mic choice particularly for live use and for sources that need all the help they can get when captured. On celestion loaded guitar cabs is a perfect example, the 58 deals with harsh and brittle frequencies brilliantly. As a vocal mic through a proper channel strip, the channel strip has the potential to make the wooly low mids forgivable, but to call that an expensive sound one would have to have bumped their head or not have a great memory for what an expensive vocal microphone sound is. Having said that, I don't necessarily think an expensive mic sound is always what is best for a source, it can be too revealing and provide more information than is necessary and I think therein lies how this myth of making a sm58 sound expensive originates. It's always gonna be what it is.
Sometimes that jeans and work boots sound is perfect for the job by limiting information and detail.
Hope I'm making sense here, I'm honestly not trying to rant but I do want to contest and clarify this whole expensive 58 "sound" from my own first hand experiences.
Old 14th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
The Ku5A is an absolutely beautiful sounding microphone, one of my personal favourites. This is high end sound all day.
Wouldn't recommend it on shrilly soprano's or froggy tenors or celestion loaded cabinets.

An sm58 through a cloudlifter into a outboard preamp sounds like an “expensive” mic… actually, most dynamics take on a different life this way

Bollocks.

Sm58>Cloudlifter>Neve Preamp soundslike a Neve preamp hit hard on the front end
Sm58>Cloudlifter>TG2 sounds like a Chandler TG2 hit hard on the front end
Sm58>Cloudlifter>Langevin preamp sounds like a Langevin preamp hit hard on the front end.
At no point does the Sm58 sound like an expensive microphone, rather it sounds like a microphone run through an expensive preamp
Sm58>Cloudlifter>Art preamp sounds like ass, just louder
Sm58>Cloudlifter>Dbx preamp sounds like ass, just louder

This myth that the Sm58 contributes anything to the "expensive sound" other than source input needs to clarified. If I put my dodgy made in Mexico sm58 through my 8801's, I guarantee what your ears will hear and like is my 8801 doing all the heavy lifting.
In order to make an Sm58 "sound expensive", your'e going to need a top tier preamp, you can't escape the cost , and then you get the sound and tone of that expensive preamp selling the "sound".

Can the sm58 work?
Yes.
Will it sound expensive?
Not in this life

( For examples sake)
A more frugal attempt to make an sm58 "sound expensive" is to try and make it "sound unique".
An Sm58>TierraAudio Cocoa/Mint et al>Art preamp will have a character that one might call unique or even signatory.
That's a fraction of the cost of a high end preamp , less control over the sound but definitely unique.
Another option is a Soyuz Launcher, they aren't clean gain and offer some character on a budget
Believing Sm58>Cloudlifter>any low end preamp is going to sound expensive is a fools errand and bad intel.

I'm happy to disagree with anyone selling any notion that by simply putting a db bump box in line with an Sm58 and a cheap preamp is going create an expensive sound.
Not trying to pick anyone or go to war over this but that kind of statement deserves a clarified explanation , imo.

Maybe not “expensive” but… certainly better than otherwise…. I mean, I don’t grab one round here very often (if ever lol) but I have experimented and it sounds great running it through the chain… don’t be an elitist! Haha
Lives for gear
Quote:
That is a great description. The attribute of the average sm58 never really accentuating any harsh detail makes it an indispensable mic choice particularly for live use and for sources that need all the help they can get when captured. On celestion loaded guitar cabs is a perfect example, the 58 deals with harsh and brittle frequencies brilliantly. As a vocal mic through a proper channel strip, the channel strip has the potential to make the wooly low mids forgivable, but to call that an expensive sound one would have to have bumped their head or not have a great memory for what an expensive vocal microphone sound is. Having said that, I don't necessarily think an expensive mic sound is always what is best for a source, it can be too revealing and provide more information than is necessary and I think therein lies how this myth of making a sm58 sound expensive originates. It's always gonna be what it is.
Sometimes that jeans and work boots sound is perfect for the job by limiting information and detail.
Hope I'm making sense here, I'm honestly not trying to rant but I do want to contest and clarify this whole expensive 58 "sound" from my own first hand experiences.
Sounds pretty sensible to me.

Expensive sound is that really fine detail, sheen, and space that is an expectation on some recordings.

The 57/58 should be capable of a very professional recorded sound if used properly but if the singer you are working with is the next Nora Jones you probably want a great condenser mic.

Someone with a really powerful detailed voice can light up a 57/58 quite well though. While at the other end of the spectrum; someone who whispers, mumbles, or is even somewhat quiet is probably going to be made worse by it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Maybe not “expensive” but… certainly better than otherwise…. I mean, I don’t grab one round here very often (if ever lol) but I have experimented and it sounds great running it through the chain… don’t be an elitist! Haha
I appreciate you re-stating that. And if I come off as elitist, that's something I need to work on, I've made every mic-stake under the sun and as of this day, my failed attempts still outweigh the work I am most proud of.
Your'e a very animated personality willing to be unfiltered and present your true character on this forum. For years I have enjoyed agreeing and disagreeing with your colourful posts. I had a feeling of what you meant to say when you said "expensive sound".
The reason I rolled up on it was because I try to imagine someone who is financially limited or confined to hobby recording, limiting their mic choices to budget and making due, when a serious mic could unlock a stunning tenor or high tenor voice that would constantly be a source of inspiration to that person. For this reason alone, I try to see the low end gear forum as having an elastic capacity to encourage folks to reach as high and far as they can even if that means abandoning some low end constraints for the potential of what could be
I'm really grateful for this post man
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
Sounds pretty sensible to me.

Expensive sound is that really fine detail, sheen, and space that is an expectation on some recordings.

The 57/58 should be capable of a very professional recorded sound if used properly but if the singer you are working with is the next Nora Jones you probably want a great condenser mic.

Someone with a really powerful detailed voice can light up a 57/58 quite well though. While at the other end of the spectrum; someone who whispers, mumbles, or is even somewhat quiet is probably going to be made worse by it.
Actually, Nora would sound absolutely delicious on a Ku5A too. :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are one of you going to recommend the MD441 to low enders now?
Gear Guru

Quote:
I appreciate you re-stating that. And if I come off as elitist, that's something I need to work on, I've made every mic-stake under the sun and as of this day, my failed attempts still outweigh the work I am most proud of.
Your'e a very animated personality willing to be unfiltered and present your true character on this forum. For years I have enjoyed agreeing and disagreeing with your colourful posts. I had a feeling of what you meant to say when you said "expensive sound".
The reason I rolled up on it was because I try to imagine someone who is financially limited or confined to hobby recording, limiting their mic choices to budget and making due, when a serious mic could unlock a stunning tenor or high tenor voice that would constantly be a source of inspiration to that person. For this reason alone, I try to see the low end gear forum as having an elastic capacity to encourage folks to reach as high and far as they can even if that means abandoning some low end constraints for the potential of what could be
I'm really grateful for this post man
F U man! Xoxo

Not all of us are blessed to have the resources to have the sort of gear that some of us have collected…. I’d hate for those who don’t to think that their music making can’t start until they get that “magic” piece of “professional” gear…. Ya know?

Greg over at Kush Audio did a great video on mics on his YouTube channel…. He’s decidedly into a low fi vibe, but, he makes some great points
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
F U man! Xoxo

Not all of us are blessed to have the resources to have the sort of gear that some of us have collected…. I’d hate for those who don’t to think that their music making can’t start until they get that “magic” piece of “professional” gear…. Ya know?

Greg over at Kush Audio did a great video on mics on his YouTube channel…. He’s decidedly into a low fi vibe, but, he makes some great points

I do get the gear thing, I thank my lucky stars and talented wife everytime I get to choose between a 49 or 47. Without her appreciation for what we do, my gear budget when have been rolled into home renovations from the git. In the end it's all paid for itself but the road here has been mired with temptation to sell off bit to keep the wolves at bay. Much of what I now call a success has been enduring and diversyfing into realms of audio I never considered. So happiness absent of so much grief and pain is my prize, and success is a term constantly being redefined.
I would hate to hear someone blew the rent money on gear that can't immediately pay for itself, so I do hear ya

I watched that video and Greg makes some great points that really work, not just for him . But for some weird reason every time I listen to Greg's voice, I want to put chillin' style flangers on everything and I have a strong urge to smoke, even though I don't smoke [anymore]
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would probably be happy to record with OP's collection of gear, just saying.

Sounds like there are a lot of fun tone options with all of that gear.

I like to point microphones at things.

And I hope OP does save up for an RE10 or RE11, cousins of the RE20.
Gear Guru

Quote:

I do get the gear thing, I thank my lucky stars and talented wife everytime I get to choose between a 49 or 47. Without her appreciation for what we do, my gear budget when have been rolled into home renovations from the git. In the end it's all paid for itself but the road here has been mired with temptation to sell off bit to keep the wolves at bay. Much of what I now call a success has been enduring and diversyfing into realms of audio I never considered. So happiness absent of so much grief and pain is my prize, and success is a term constantly being redefined.
I would hate to hear someone blew the rent money on gear that can't immediately pay for itself, so I do hear ya

I watched that video and Greg makes some great points that really work, not just for him . But for some weird reason every time I listen to Greg's voice, I want to put chillin' style flangers on everything and I have a strong urge to smoke, even though I don't smoke [anymore]
Hehe yah Greg needs a lozenge
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
I hope OP does save up for an RE10 or RE11, cousins of the RE20.
Or the RE15 or RE16. I remember when all the early 60s EV mics were cheap because it seemed almost no one used or mentioned them.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
To the OP, I didn't know about the Lanier 250.

Did a search on here and it seems those who have them are enthusiastic.
Yeah, that's what got me to buy one I saw on ebay. They seem a bit rare. I think the price also went up because of the reputation. Some of those "sleeper" mics are popular, I think, because at one point they were super cheap, and then the price goes up. Still, kind of cool to have. I scored a great deal on a Sony F-560 which also seems pretty rare and has the coolest 80s triangle pattern over the grill. I bought two and gave one to my brother for Christmas.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
GeneHall, too funny about guitars. Reminds me of a guy I saw on here who said he bought all of his guitars in sunburst so that his wife wouldn't know that he had ordered another one.

I bought a silvercreek all-solid acoustic guitar from MF several years ago. It's not a bad d28 copy, I think, and I feel like the sound has gotten better. I've got another all-solid and some solid tops (some of which I scored for as low as $20). I ditched all my laminate top acoustics except for a 70s Hondo one I rescued from goodwill for $15 which actually sounded pretty decent once I set it up. That's the beater for my kids to learn to play on.

I don't feel a great need to get more acoustics. I find the great variety of electric guitar styles to be the thing that makes me "need" more guitars. But I know that I really like playing telecaster more than anything. I recently got a used Squier tele just because it played so nice at a GC where I tried it out, and it was only just over $100. Other than that an an epiphone Riviera, everything I have isn't a name brand and cost me under $100. I feel like with guitars, if you learn how to set them up, that's half the battle. I did make a Nashville tele from scratch (bought the neck), and it has some custom hand-wound pickups that I bought for it. It's one of my favs to play, although I do probably need just a touch of fretwork.
📝 Reply