Quantcast
Microphone for a high pitched female voice? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone for a high pitched female voice?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggelos ➡️
Stay away from Behringer, rubbish quality and bad drivers.
Completely untrue. They make really good stuff now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Actually there's not a big difference,
between a 58 and a 57.
SM58 minus SM57...
Equals one.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Yanks!
Chris
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
Completely untrue. They make really good stuff now.
What is now? Since last week?
My friend had to send a behringer interface back already three times in the last month. Eventually he got a Presonus that worked from day one.
That is also my past experience with them till i joined the long list of people who say : Never again
Lives for gear
Quote:
My friend had to send a behringer interface back already three times in the last month. Eventually he got a Presonus that worked from day one.
That is also my past experience with them till i joined the long list of people who say : Never again
There is so much that can seemingly "go wrong" with any interface, especially when using a Windows machine that saying "I have a friend that had issues" is kind of like saying I have a friend who's testicles got swollen from the Covid vaccine.

Sure Behringer makes budget gear but modern electronics, even low cost stuff, is generally pretty solid enough that I'd believe user error first in most cases.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
There is so much that can seemingly "go wrong" with any interface, especially when using a Windows machine that saying "I have a friend that had issues" is kind of like saying I have a friend who's testicles got swollen from the Covid vaccine.

Sure Behringer makes budget gear but modern electronics, even low cost stuff, is generally pretty solid enough that I'd believe user error first in most cases.
I never had a problem with RME nor with lots of other hardware brands.
But lots of problems with behringer. To my experience from all the low budget companies they are the worse in sound quality, reliability and customer service.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I never had a problem with RME nor with lots of other hardware brands.
But lots of problems with behringer. To my experience from all the low budget companies they are the worse in sound quality, reliability and customer service.
RME is cool but their entry level interface, the Babyface is almost $1000.

The Behringer HD interfaces are pretty solid for incredibly little money which makes them valuable to someone who is maybe scraping to come up with even $100 or so for an interface.

This is the Low End Theory forum ya know?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No, for years now. I realize this wasn't always true.

Quote:
My friend has had a Behringer interface for years with no issues and sounds great. I also had a friend who had numerous problems with an Apogee and one who swears Audients are junk after having numerous problems.

But I put little to no stock in isolated examples as that's all they are. If you want to swear off Behringers because you and your friend had problems, I get that. But to say "Behringer gear is junk" simply isn't true at least not any more.

Quote:
To my experience from all the low budget companies they are the worse in sound quality, reliability and customer service.
Then I'd say your experience is either outdated or quite unique. But to each their own. If I was burned by a bad piece of gear I probably wouldn't buy from them again either.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
RME is cool but their entry level interface, the Babyface is almost $1000.

The Behringer HD interfaces are pretty solid for incredibly little money which makes them valuable to someone who is maybe scraping to come up with even $100 or so for an interface.

This is the Low End Theory forum ya know?
That is why i did not recommend RME but Presonus and Focusrite.
If you want to go lower than that you end up with a gear that will not last too long and all that time will be giving you constant frustration.

Both Presonus and Focusrite are not that expensive, come with lots of useful software and sound much better and with far more stable drivers than behringer
Gear Nut

Quote:
No, for years now. I realize this wasn't always true.

My friend has had a Behringer interface for years with no issues and sounds great. I also had a friend who had numerous problems with an Apogee and one who swears Audients are junk after having numerous problems.

But I put little to no stock in isolated examples as that's all they are. If you want to swear off Behringers because you and your friend had problems, I get that. But to say "Behringer gear is junk" simply isn't true at least not any more.

Then I'd say your experience is either outdated or quite unique. But to each their own. If I was burned by a bad piece of gear I probably wouldn't buy from them again either.
Are you comparing Behringer with Apogee and Audient?
The only reason someone gets behringer is not for the sound nor their quality or customer service but cause it is the cheapest of the cheap but problem with that is you end up paying much more to replace it.
You dont have to take my word or from countless others who complain on every forum and youtube video, you can find out yourself
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you want to go lower than that you end up with a gear that will not last too long and all that time will be giving you constant frustration.
Wrong.

Quote:
Both Presonus and Focusrite are not that expensive, come with lots of useful software and sound much better and with far more stable drivers than behringer
Also wrong.

Quote:
Are you comparing Behringer with Apogee and Audient?
No, I'm saying I put little to no stock in isolated examples as that's all they are.

Quote:
The only reason someone gets behringer is not for the sound nor their quality or customer service but cause it is the cheapest of the cheap but problem with that is you end up paying much more to replace it.
And again: wrong.

Quote:
You dont have to take my word or from countless others who complain on every forum and youtube video,
Why would I? Nothing on you, but once more: isolated examples are only that. It means little.

Quote:
you can find out yourself
I already have, as I also already mentioned.

Sorry but "I had a bad experience and so did my friend, therefore everyone is and they're cheap junk" etc is blatantly flawed reasoning.

And since we're just starting to go in circles now, I see no point continuing. /out

Good luck to the OP!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sorry but "I had a bad experience and so did my friend, therefore everyone is and they're cheap junk" etc is blatantly flawed reasoning.
So that is flawed reasoning but " I have a good experience so everyone has " is not .....
I know from first hand experience they are cheap junk as you call them i dont need an other opinion about that.
normally is the other way round people complain to others who have opinions but they never tried the thing they have opinion about. And it goes without saying that i m not representing humanity but only my standards.
You maybe like them and that makes you think that everyone else who thinks they are junk is wrong, but you only have to open your eyes to the general opinions to see how isolated they truly are or not
I hope everyone who celebrates it had a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions! All of the mic suggestions have sounded great when I looked up videos on youtube of the different mics, and I think it's best to take my time before making a purchase, so for now I'm still undecided.

I'm currently stuck comparing the Sennheiser E835 and the AKG D5. They sound very similar, but I notice some slight differences. I'd really appreciate any opinions on those two. And would the Sennheiser 004839 Foam Windshield be good for the E835?

I'm choosing not to touch the Behringer debate. It's so far out of my depth that there's no way I could talk about the topic meaningfully. There's still too much I need to learn. Both the Behringer and Focusrite sound very nice from what I've found on youtube.

On the topic of mics, I've also been concerned I'm not analyzing things correctly when I read or listen to reviews, so I guess I just want to explain my thought process in case there (probably) is some critical flaw.

So far example when I see the frequency response of the Shure SM57 and 58, the 57 seems to have just slightly more high end. One review described the 57 as having a "brighter, sweeter" sound than the 58.

Given that my voice is higher pitched, I've been interpreting that to mean it would work well for my voice. Similarly, I've read reviews that say the Sennheiser E835 has a bright sound, and again I've been interpreting that to mean mics like this put a bit more emphasis on the higher frequencies, and hence would be good for my voice.

But some reviews I've read make me think I'm still misunderstanding (which given how new I am to this, is quite probable). For example: "That said, the SM57 is a more all-purpose instrument mic that can (obviously) be used for vocals as well. It sounds great on more gravel/growl-ly, darker tunes/voices, or anyone who just sounds too bright with a 58."
https://www.quora.com/What-is-better...m58-microphone

That said, it has been quite correctly pointed out in this thread that there's not one mic that's best for all high pitched voices, etc, but more so that specific mics that work better for specific voices.

I just realized I've been asking a lot of questions about how to make my voice sound better, without actually showing what my voice sounds like with my current set up of Blue Snowball, Neewer pop filter, and Neewer boom arm. Same mostly untreated room.

So that's why I've included a couple attachments. The first recording is the Snowball without any changes, except removing pauses in between words. The second recording is how I usually edit my recordings in Audacity (noise reduction --> filter curve from a tutorial I found on youtube --> compressor with threshold at -12db, noise floor at -40 db, ratio 2.1:1, attack time 0.10 secs, release time 1.0 sec --> finish by checking for mouth noise).

Am I correct in thinking a "bright" mic or one that emphasizes higher frequencies would work well for my voice? On a slightly less related note, does the process I use to edit my recordings make sense?
Attached Files

Voice example no editing.mp3 (620.4 KB, 11 views)

Voice example edited.mp3 (557.1 KB, 11 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Except for the grill, they are in fact the exact same mic. And since the 58 grill is better for handling "plosives," it makes a little more sense to get than the 57. Although tbh if you're intent on getting a dynamic mic, I'd opt for the Sennheiser 835 instead (same price).
However, BECAUSE of the grill they sound totally different. The SM58 has no top end... the SM57 actually has some high end extension. But yes, you can't eat an SM57, whereas the ball on an SM58 is intended for rock singers who eat the mike.

The SM57 is not the greatest sounding mike of all time, but it's a reasonable vocal sound for a reasonable price. I'd pick it over the Sennheiser e835 if only because so many of the e835s out there are counterfeit although it's true that the e835 definitely has more top end extension. (The e855 was a far better microphone for only slightly more money with cleaner top end and a tighter pattern, but it's been discontinued. Still, the counterfeiters keep stamping them out so the vast majority of the ones out there are fakes.)

To be honest if I were looking for a cheap dynamic, I'd look for the AKG D880. Discontinued, but they don't break and there are millions of used ones out there for $25 to $50. Tighter pattern than an SM57 which will mean you can get farther back from it, and top end extension better than the e835.
--scott
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientHistorian ➡️
I'm currently stuck comparing the Sennheiser E835 and the AKG D5. They sound very similar, but I notice some slight differences. I'd really appreciate any opinions on those two. And would the Sennheiser 004839 Foam Windshield be good for the E835?
Normally I would tell you to buy them all and try them in your room with your voice, since you should be able to sell the ones you don't want for about what you paid for them.

The number of e835 counterfeits out there would make me avoid the used market on those mikes and only buy from a legit Sennheiser dealer, however.

Skip the foam ball, you don't need it. Skip the fancy shock mount too.
--scott
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Scott's advice is worth taking into consideration, no question!

OP, describing sound with prose is notoriously challenging, inconsistent, and unreliable. You've read a couple contradictory descriptions of the character of the SM57, and if you look, you'll find many more! This is part of why trying things out in person is so very important in this particular field. Two experienced musicians or engineers might describe the exact same microphone in staggeringly different language, and neither perspective might align with your own!

With any of the Shures or Sennheisers mentioned (as long as they aren't counterfeit...), you won't be throwing money away if you buy one to try it out. You'll be able to get nearly your money back in the event you don't like it and want to sell it. I have a hunch that you'd like, and want to keep, either or both! They work on many sources and would be very well-suited to your specific application.
Thank you both so much for the advice!

I'll try to find an example of the AKG D770 (really hard to find on youtube for some reason, maybe because it's discontinued). And thank you for the warning about counterfeits! I plan to buy either from Amazon or Sweetwater. I think (hope?) those should be fine.

Okay, here are my thoughts so far. I really apologize if this ends up being a bit garbled or confused, but it's the best I can describe it at my current level of knowledge.

The condenser mics like the p120 are very good, but with the room I record in, I do think it would be best to go with a cardioid dynamic mic.
Both the e835 and akg d5 have more top end than the other mics I've been looking at, and given my voice, I do think a mic with more top end would work better for me. After listening over and over to the e835 and the akg d5, the akg d5 sounds like it emphasizes the higher frequencies just a bit more.

Which leads to my dilemma. I don't know if the akg d5 emphasizes the top end just enough, or too much. I'm not sure if when combined with my voice, the akg d5 might be too much top end. On the other hand, the e835 emphasizes the top end just a bit less than the akg d5, but then that could also be a better balance for my voice.
Gear Guru

Wow! You found out about the AKG D770/D790.
Cool.
Yes, that's a major vocal sleeper dynamic mic. (there are others )

Happens to suit my voice very well.
Similar tone to a "good" Oktava 219/319. If you pair a D770 or D790, with a Launcher, it edges toward M88 territory.

BTW you can hit the 300Hz low cut switch, on the P120. Helps a lot.

Will listen to your clips, after vocal practice, that I'm doing right now.
Chris
P.S. Practice D790 vocal example below...
Attached Files
Shoot I'm just realizing I wrote D770. I was replying to Scott and accidentally typed two 7's instead of two 8's.

But I did indeed find out about the D770 and D790 after spending some time searching this forum!

Thank you very much for the example! I've been wondering about all three of these mics, but they're somewhat hard to find videos of. I only really could an example of the D770 (which is probably where the typo happened). Similarly difficult to find on Amazon or Sweetwater.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientHistorian ➡️
I hope everyone who celebrates it had a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions! All of the mic suggestions have sounded great when I looked up videos on youtube of the different mics, and I think it's best to take my time before making a purchase, so for now I'm still undecided.

I'm choosing not to touch the Behringer debate. It's so far out of my depth that there's no way I could talk about the topic meaningfully. There's still too much I need to learn. Both the Behringer and Focusrite sound very nice from what I've found on youtube.

On the topic of mics, I've also been concerned I'm not analyzing things correctly when I read or listen to reviews, so I guess I just want to explain my thought process in case there (probably) is some critical flaw.

So far example when I see the frequency response of the Shure SM57 and 58, the 57 seems to have just slightly more high end. One review described the 57 as having a "brighter, sweeter" sound than the 58.

Given that my voice is higher pitched, I've been interpreting that to mean it would work well for my voice. Similarly, I've read reviews that say the Sennheiser E835 has a bright sound, and again I've been interpreting that to mean mics like this put a bit more emphasis on the higher frequencies, and hence would be good for my voice.

But some reviews I've read make me think I'm still misunderstanding (which given how new I am to this, is quite probable). For example: "That said, the SM57 is a more all-purpose instrument mic that can (obviously) be used for vocals as well. It sounds great on more gravel/growl-ly, darker tunes/voices, or anyone who just sounds too bright with a 58."
https://www.quora.com/What-is-better...m58-microphone

That said, it has been quite correctly pointed out in this thread that there's not one mic that's best for all high pitched voices, etc, but more so that specific mics that work better for specific voices.

I just realized I've been asking a lot of questions about how to make my voice sound better, without actually showing what my voice sounds like with my current set up of Blue Snowball, Neewer pop filter, and Neewer boom arm. Same mostly untreated room.

So that's why I've included a couple attachments. The first recording is the Snowball without any changes, except removing pauses in between words. The second recording is how I usually edit my recordings in Audacity (noise reduction --> filter curve from a tutorial I found on youtube --> compressor with threshold at -12db, noise floor at -40 db, ratio 2.1:1, attack time 0.10 secs, release time 1.0 sec --> finish by checking for mouth noise).

Am I correct in thinking a "bright" mic or one that emphasizes higher frequencies would work well for my voice? On a slightly less related note, does the process I use to edit my recordings make sense?
You sound great!
Would love to hear you on a "Ribbon-ish" condenser,
or an actual Ribbon.

On the more affordable side, another excellent choice,
would be a new Oktava 319.

My understanding is that they incorporated most of Scott D's recommended internal parts/mod upgrades.

(Maybe Scott will shed more light on this ).
BTW I have both a mid-Production run...
Oktava 219 and 319.
Before the parts upgrade.

Yet another nice choice, would be the 3U Audio Warbler MKII. (Has a K47 style capsule)

It has a somewhat flatter response than my Warm 47jr, due to how they voiced the circuitry (brighter than the Warbler MKIi).

While I still love the P120 Black, for what it is,
very even tempered...

IMHO I think in Budgetland, you'd be even happier, with an Oktava 319 or Warbler MKII series.

In Ribbons with your budget...
I'd take the 44-ish NoHype LRM-V seriously.
Chris
P.S. I'll drum up a thicker practice vocal, on the D790 below... (Edwin Starr's classic "25 Miles" intro)
Full Bari register.

Also Warm 47jr practice vocal, for some contrast,
in my 2nd Tenor register.
Attached Files

Song 129Soyuz25MilesD790edit1.mp3 (851.4 KB, 25 views)

FinalFinalIntoTheMysticIntroOneTake47Jr.Solo.wav (3.02 MB, 293 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Don’t think that Amazon and Sweetwater are equally reliable sources of non-counterfeit audio goods.
Sweetwater is an individual audio retail company that buys wholesale from manufacturers. There is almost zero chance that they could somehow sell counterfeit audio products. I have bought from them for decades and they have stood behind their sales and have been very pro-consumer in any problem situation.
Amazon is a sales and shipping site. They are not an audio company. They sell audio goods for and by an endless list of companies, and they do not stand by or vouch for any goods they “sell” that are actually sold THROUGH Amazon by third parties. Amazon is interested in always adding more sellers, not in throwing fraudulent sellers off Amazon. I’ve been through some “stuff” on Amazon that makes me VERY careful when using their services. I almost never use them for audio purchases.
Gear Guru

Great advice!
Thanks, Chris
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response Chris! I'll be researching all of the mics you mentioned.

And thank you for the warning about Amazon! I've found Amazon to be very useful for books, but electronics is an entirely different world.
Gear Guru

Right now, the best spot for buying a new Oktava is...
Thomann USA.

You can save a bit on 3U's, by emailing Guosheng/Owner...
Instead of buying through ebay.
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
A few weeks ago I provided equipment for an annual get-together of Steve Johnson’s band. I happened to get out and compare some random vocal mics: a couple of 835 Senn, a 57 (had to have one for Steve) and two of the four D880s I’ve had since the earth was young. I spent some time using headphones and pre-setting preamps for comparative levels.
My conclusions…
They are all decent live vocal mics. The 57 has its own expected sound. The 835 to my ear is a little flatter and a little clearer and sweeter. The 880 is a tighter pattern than the other two, and is somewhere between the other two in sound. Not a bad option in the bunch, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
A few weeks ago I provided equipment for an annual get-together of Steve Johnson’s band. I happened to get out and compare some random vocal mics: a couple of 835 Senn, a 57 (had to have one for Steve) and two of the four D880s I’ve had since the earth was young. I spent some time using headphones and pre-setting preamps for comparative levels.
My conclusions…
They are all decent live vocal mics. The 57 has its own expected sound. The 835 to my ear is a little flatter and a little clearer and sweeter. The 880 is a tighter pattern than the other two, and is somewhere between the other two in sound. Not a bad option in the bunch, really.
Thank you very much! I'm hugely inexperienced in this, so all the great information in this thread has been such a help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
You sound great!
Would love to hear you on a "Ribbon-ish" condenser,
or an actual Ribbon.

On the more affordable side, another excellent choice,
would be a new Oktava 319.

My understanding is that they incorporated most of Scott D's recommended internal parts/mod upgrades.

(Maybe Scott will shed more light on this ).
BTW I have both a mid-Production run...
Oktava 219 and 319.
Before the parts upgrade.

Yet another nice choice, would be the 3U Audio Warbler MKII. (Has a K47 style capsule)

It has a somewhat flatter response than my Warm 47jr, due to how they voiced the circuitry (brighter than the Warbler MKIi).

While I still love the P120 Black, for what it is,
very even tempered...

IMHO I think in Budgetland, you'd be even happier, with an Oktava 319 or Warbler MKII series.

In Ribbons with your budget...
I'd take the 44-ish NoHype LRM-V seriously.
Chris
P.S. I'll drum up a thicker practice vocal, on the D790 below... (Edwin Starr's classic "25 Miles" intro)
Full Bari register.

Also Warm 47jr practice vocal, for some contrast,
in my 2nd Tenor register.

Chris, if you don't mind, as I've been reading up on your mic suggestions, I've had a small question. I really don't want to be annoying so I initially refrained from asking, but ultimately I think I need to if I want to wrap my head around this stuff.

I mentioned earlier that my intuition going into this is that a bright mic with an emphasis on the high end would be suited for my voice. I say intuition because, frankly, I'm a complete novice here so I can't really say I know what would work for my voice. I notice ribbon mics are described as warm and dark, so less emphasis on the high frequencies.

Can I ask why you recommended the mics you did? I think I'm just trying to understand how someone with more experience approaches this, so I can better judge what to look for, listen for, etc.

Sorry for any bother and thanks again for all your advice, as I said, everyone here has been such a great help!
Gear Guru

Sure! Am partly influenced by AE's, like Shelly Yakus, who tend to prefer to...

Balance out a brighter voice, with a complementary mic that reduces some of it.

Klaus Heyne, who is a world authority on microphones,
sometimes suggests a Ribbon...

When the voice is strongly sibilant.
(Like mine up to around 5 years ago-also a darker LDC could work well)

IMHO stay on the neutral and darker side of the fence.
Eventually you could have both types.
Neutral for a more Modern reading, etc.
Chris
Oh! That makes a lot of sense. So, going by the same logic but in reverse, is that also why sometimes the brighter mics are recommended for deep voices?
Gear Guru

Exactly.
Sometimes though, on a "warm" voice or vocal,
you want to accentuate it. Typically defined in the Low Mids.

Like Nat King Cole/Bing/early to mid career Sinatra on a 44 Ribbon. Or Karen Carpenter on a vintage U87.

Many times in Modern Pop and R&B, they tend to the opposite. Emphasizing a brighter "in your face" approach.
There the TLM 103/Manley Ref C/Sony C800G are popular.

I grew up listening to mostly the vocal music, captured by mostly Neumann's and RCA 44/77 Ribbons.
So am frankly biased!
Chris
That explains a lot of what had me so confused. Thank you very much!

So in looking at all the mics, I continue to really like the E835. I was wondering about Audix OM2 and sE Electronics V7. To my (again incredibly inexperienced ear), the OM2 sounds like a slightly warmer E835. There are so many more reviews of the E835 than the OM2, though, so I'm curious if there are any opinions on the OM2 here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And again, you've picked out some very capable mics! Each of those would probably work. In your position, I'd probably just grab whichever has the best Black Friday deal this weekend and then roll with that for a while. (Or whichever you think looks the coolest out of all of them... there's honestly nothing wrong with that, all other things being equal.) Regardless of which mic you get, you'll want to spend some time learning how to get the most out of it. In the long run, that'll matter more than anything!
📝 Reply