Quantcast
Let's assume is 2000/2010.Build me a studio. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let's assume is 2000/2010.Build me a studio.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Let's assume is 2000/2010.Build me a studio.

I'm ready to rebuild my home studio,this time i wanna get used gear that is cheap and good that don't lose resale value if i'm not happy with.Based on your experience what would you recommend as good old gear?
I'm thinking about old Rme,Motu,Focusrite,TLAudio,Behringer,Apogee,Line6,Mackie,Novation,Alesis,Presonus,Joemeek etc
I'm planning to buy the following:
PC/Mac or Linux
Audio Interface (min 24 channel/low latency)
ADDA Converters
ADAT pres
Mixer
Master EQ/Comp
Mics (Vox/Drums)
Pres
Ac/E-Guitars/Basses
Pedals
Synths/Drum Machines
Amp Modelers
Monitors
Plugins
Daw
Drumkit
Edrum
Miscellaneous(Headphone pre,reamp box etc)

I'm gonna use the studio for personal purposes.

Thank you in advance
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That's my partial list:
Mac Pro 3.1 OSX 10.6.8
RME Fireface 800
Apogee Rosetta 200
Behringer ADA 8000
Mackie 24/8 bus
Drawmer 1968/1961
57,Audix D,Rode NT5,TLM103
Joemeek VC1,Focusrite Voicemaster Pro
Martin DM,Fernandes Monterey Deluxe,Ibanez EDC700
WMD Geiger Counter,Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer
Waldorf Blofeld,Access Virus KC,Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1
Line6 Pod X3 Pro
Mackie HR824 MK1
Xln Audio Addictive Drums,Waves Mercury
Reaper
Yamaha Stage Custom
Roland TD9
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
TC D-2 delay
TC M-One reverb

Klark DN-410
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have the ability to get the right era and platform computer, you can save money by buying a great used firewire interface since nobody seems to want them anymore. I picked up the MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid used for cheap after everything switched to thunderbolt and more advanced tech. I use the firewire port b/c I'm still using an older mac, works great for my needs!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Without a budget or at least a rough guess at one and just as importantly some idea of what it is that you are trying to accomplish all this thread can be is a guessing game of people mentioning gear they happen to like and at whatever their idea of what cheap is.

So first, about how much money are you willing to spend.

Next what do you expect this studio to do?

Are you planning on tracking a full band?

Live drums or not?

Based on thoughts like these how many mic and line inputs would you need at any one time?

You mentioned a mixer...

If you are trying to do a lot on a low budget then staying in the box is about the easiest and most economical way to build a recording setup.

If you feel you must have a mixer then once again you need to consider what it is going to be used for. Monitoring?
Mixing?

How many...
Mic inputs?
Line inputs?
Post fader FX sends
Prefader monitor sends

Does it need to be a board with tape returns or can you get by with a live mixer???

Hopefully you can start to see just how unanswerable your initial question is here.

It's like if someone said "I want to work on cars what should I buy?"

Well you might need a large space, a professional lift, every power tool imaginable, and a full machine shop because you are planning on building a race car or maybe you are just talking about changing the oil and futzing around with your old F150 truck once in a while.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➑️
Without a budget or at least a rough guess at one and just as importantly some idea of what it is that you are trying to accomplish all this thread can be is a guessing game of people mentioning gear they happen to like and at whatever their idea of what cheap is.

So first, about how much money are you willing to spend.

Next what do you expect this studio to do?

Are you planning on tracking a full band?

Live drums or not?

Based on thoughts like these how many mic and line inputs would you need at any one time?

You mentioned a mixer...

If you are trying to do a lot on a low budget then staying in the box is about the easiest and most economical way to build a recording setup.

If you feel you must have a mixer then once again you need to consider what it is going to be used for. Monitoring?
Mixing?

How many...
Mic inputs?
Line inputs?
Post fader FX sends
Prefader monitor sends

Does it need to be a board with tape returns or can you get by with a live mixer???

Hopefully you can start to see just how unanswerable your initial question is here.

It's like if someone said "I want to work on cars what should I buy?"

Well you might need a large space, a professional lift, every power tool imaginable, and a full machine shop because you are planning on building a race car or maybe you are just talking about changing the oil and futzing around with your old F150 truck once in a while.
Thank you for your reply.
Budget is around 10/15K, after few years ITB i would like to move a bit OTB expecially to enjoy the tracking/mixing process.
No full band to track.
Live drums is a must but i want the flexibility to decide if replace at least bd/sn/toms through Reaper/Addictive Drums. An edrum kit would be also useful for tracking during the night.
Based on my latest post i would need a low latency audio interface with at least 10 mic inputs for mics and 6/10 line inputs for synths plus S/Pdif for the amp modeler.
I would like to mix at least the channels volumes with faders OTB(24 ch)then send everything trough the eq and comp and go back into the DAW.
So the approach that i want to achieve is kinda of hybrid...i would use the DAW just for tracking/midi/audio editing and 2bus recording.
Obviously full ITB would be much cheaper/better quality but i prefer to use old gear/systems etc that was kinda standard in the prosumer zone.
I need some recommendation for old but gold tracking pres for Vocals,and some master bus eq and comp but as i mentioned my budget is quite limited since i need build everything from scratch.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I give up, what does "lets assume 2000-2010" mean?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

He wants older gear because it's cheaper. So units that were considered high quality back then but may be overlooked now because of newer gear.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I use an old RME HDSP 9652 PCI card with a daughter card. I see these listed all the time for around $300. You'll get 3 pairs of ADAT, word-clock, midi, and SPDIF/AES. I built my own computer with a 2nd gen Ryzen compatible motherboard that still had legacy PCI slots. It works like a charm. I can set the RME's latency at it's lowest setting. There are tons of reviews saying that they have success using a PCIe to PCI adapter to install legacy RME cards into new computers. I plan on doing this when I upgrade my computer.
πŸ“ Reply