The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help! With My Current Vocal Setup What Should I Add Or Upgrade?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
That sounds way better. The mic is the TLM-103.

Maybe just find the resonant frequency in the low mids and dip it a tiny amount, other than that it sounds great 👌
Thank you...and yea its the 103...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syze25 ➡️
Sounds good to me man!

You wouldnt have by any chance a sample of the tlm 103 straight into the audient preamps? Was curious about the work the 73 preamp is doing into that mic and if the Diference was much
All I did was volume match...I don't really notice a difference...i'm pushing the preamp at 45 so it's just about halfway...don't want distortion on my rap vocals...

https://soundcloud.com/minus31/pream.../s-TUmhfjjKfV9
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNuS31 ➡️
All I did was volume match...I don't really notice a difference...i'm pushing the preamp at 45 so it's just about halfway...don't want distortion on my rap vocals...

HM.... Interesting. Was expecting a bit more tbh But I Guess layers is where the preamp shines maybe.
Thanks for the sample man
Quote:
HM.... Interesting. Was expecting a bit more tbh But I Guess layers is where the preamp shines maybe.
Thanks for the sample man
Maybe the preamp tech in the interface caught up a bit...golden age preamp a few years old...interface just got released a few months ago...but I run my preamp into a compressor...I wonder how things would be if you ran thru analog gear without the preamp first...
Old 6 days ago
Founder

Isn't a Shure Sm7b standard issue for RAP?

Have you tried one?

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️

Have you tried one?

or an re20...
Quote:

Have you tried one?

Wouldnt say anything is a standard...all voices and personal taste to sound is different...I have not tried that mic but reading reviews along with my past Neumann TLM 102 experience I chose to give the TLM 103 a try and I like my results...topic closed...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Maybe keep an open mind, and factor comments in like this. (Jules is an extremely strong AE) Remember MJ's nickname in the studio... the "Sponge".
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

not at all. the sm7b is a standard for podcasters. it's too subdued for rap. the go-to mics for rap are the c800g (holy grail) and u87 (industry standard, like so many other genres). tlm-102/103/49 get respect as gateway mics to an 87. c100 has gotten popular as an aspirational c800g (even though the mics are not even close sonically or architecturally).
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I know it was used quite a bit in early 80's/90's Rap/Hip/Hop. Back when OG Roland Drum Machines, were at the Pawnshop for $50 or less.
I'll re-check when I get a chance.
I'm confident it's still used now and then. (same for RE20)
Chris
P.S. Tried to listen to the OP's tracks, seems like they're gone from Soundcloud now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

it looks like the soundcloud audio clip is no longer there?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
That sounds way better. The mic is the TLM-103.

Maybe just find the resonant frequency in the low mids and dip it a tiny amount, other than that it sounds great 👌
I recorded a new track and changed some of my plugins up as well...with a sound test Waves sounded a little better and had more control than Nectar...I still use Nectar for the Gate and DeEsser andn also there vocal auto leveler...

A track before any changes using old gear...
https://soundcloud.com/minus31/blarry

Track with new gear/plugins...
https://soundcloud.com/minus31/blarry-the-response
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I didn’t know that...I’ll try to do some research on XLR vs TRS quality and buy a high quality TRS to go from preamp output to interface input to test...thanks...
He's not talking about quality. XLR and TRS both do the same noise cancellation. He means the preamp is putting out a louder line level signal rather than a mic level signal (which is much lower), so use a line level input on the interface instead of a mic input. If you didn't have a preamp, then you would use the mic input/preamp on interface.
Gear Head
Quote:
I recorded a new track and changed some of my plugins up as well...with a sound test Waves sounded a little better and had more control than Nectar...I still use Nectar for the Gate and DeEsser andn also there vocal auto leveler...

A track before any changes using old gear...
https://soundcloud.com/minus31/blarry

Track with new gear/plugins...
https://soundcloud.com/minus31/blarry-the-response
Sounds really good to me man! Do you Record by takes or just do the entire verse straight away?
Quote:
Sounds really good to me man! Do you Record by takes or just do the entire verse straight away?
I do it straight...sounds more natural to me and easier to mix...
Gear Head
Quote:
I do it straight...sounds more natural to me and easier to mix...
I was asking BC I use the tlm 102 and the 103 is suposed to be more Bright and my vocals are much more sibilant than yours. Yours sound really good man. I Guess it boils down to other factors Im doing wrong.
Old 14 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
I was asking BC I use the tlm 102 and the 103 is suposed to be more Bright and my vocals are much more sibilant than yours. Yours sound really good man. I Guess it boils down to other factors Im doing wrong.
I had the TLM 102...sold it because it sounded to clean and harshness for me...I purchased the Audio Technica 4047...loved that mic...but I get into a mode every few months to a year where im on the search for better and better...so I did research and kept seeing the TLM 103 pop up for rap vocals...so I purchased that and I love it...it's great and clear like the TLM 102 in my opinion but without the harshness...and with what I learned over time is that alot of mics are great...you may just need to find the right EQ adjustments to match...send me a unmixed session of vocals to see what I can do...we here to help eachother...i'm not pro...just record and engineer as a hobby so I don't mind...
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
I had the TLM 102...sold it because it sounded to clean and harshness for me...I purchased the Audio Technica 4047...loved that mic...but I get into a mode every few months to a year where im on the search for better and better...so I did research and kept seeing the TLM 103 pop up for rap vocals...so I purchased that and I love it...it's great and clear like the TLM 102 in my opinion but without the harshness...and with what I learned over time is that alot of mics are great...you may just need to find the right EQ adjustments to match...send me a unmixed session of vocals to see what I can do...we here to help eachother...i'm not pro...just record and engineer as a hobby so I don't mind...
Im gonna thank you and Accept that offer man. I do know I have a long way to go in mixing and everyone been so cool to me in this place so far. Wasnt expecting this, where I live I dont have that luck , people who have the knowledge are hesitant to Share it. What you Said about the 102 is all true, really "sterile" and sometimes harsh but I always heard the 103 should be harsher , not true then. If possible send me a PM with your e-mail and i'll get in Touch man. Thanks again
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Your set up looks fine. I think your bigger problem is how to handle the sound files when you get them (eq, compression etc). Look into Izotope Neutron and Nectar. They're not perfect, but they'll help. On a related note, Isotope Ozone will really help. Use that money to help your mix. Your probably getting decent raw tracks. Now you just need some mixing nudging.
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
Im gonna thank you and Accept that offer man. I do know I have a long way to go in mixing and everyone been so cool to me in this place so far. Wasnt expecting this, where I live I dont have that luck , people who have the knowledge are hesitant to Share it. What you Said about the 102 is all true, really "sterile" and sometimes harsh but I always heard the 103 should be harsher , not true then. If possible send me a PM with your e-mail and i'll get in Touch man. Thanks again
Ok...
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt8 ➡️
Your set up looks fine. I think your bigger problem is how to handle the sound files when you get them (eq, compression etc). Look into Izotope Neutron and Nectar. They're not perfect, but they'll help. On a related note, Isotope Ozone will really help. Use that money to help your mix. Your probably getting decent raw tracks. Now you just need some mixing nudging.
I like my current setup now...TLM 103 has more clarity with words and I was using Nectar...I switched over to Waves and I like their plugins more...more control and better sounding to me when I did a test using the same settings on Waves vs Nectar...dont like the new setup audio?...
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I only record hip hop vocals and i'm always on the search for the best possible quality my money can buy...so i'm going to list my setup and I want to know some of your thoughts and opinions on what would be the best gear to add or upgrade to my current setup for the most noticeable difference...I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a 5% difference for example...for a audio sample of my vocals mixed here goes a song https://soundcloud.com/minus31/return-letter

My budget to upgrade is $1,000 and this is my current setup...

Audio Technica AT4047 running it the Golden Age Pre 73 MK ii and via XLR from the preamp it continues into the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (0 Gain and no 48v, that's all done via preamp) then it's going into my computer and do mixing and etc there...I have a Gold Age Comp 3A Jr compressor on the way to add after my preamp so besides a external compressor what do you think I should add?...I was thinking the TLM 103 but not sure if my money should be spent where...thanks!
I recommend getting a hardware equalizer for your input signal chain as well, like a pultec style eqp1a type.
I really liked the tlm 103 on rap vocals, very crispy and dynamic but can be harsh in the upper frequency registers if you are adding 6/8khz.
You can’t go wrong with a u87 style mic, I personally would use that for rap vocals because it can be dressed up or down if needed and will not sound harsh
Old 4 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by griploc_1981 ➡️
I recommend getting a hardware equalizer for your input signal chain as well, like a pultec style eqp1a type.
I really liked the tlm 103 on rap vocals, very crispy and dynamic but can be harsh in the upper frequency registers if you are adding 6/8khz.
You can’t go wrong with a u87 style mic, I personally would use that for rap vocals because it can be dressed up or down if needed and will not sound harsh
Here is a pic of the setup I have going, I do hip hop as well
Attached Thumbnails
Help! With My Current Vocal Setup What Should I Add Or Upgrade?-image_2686_0.jpg   Help! With My Current Vocal Setup What Should I Add Or Upgrade?-image_2598_0.jpg  
📝 Reply