The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure MV7 for singing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Shure MV7 for singing?

I'm looking for a mic mainly for recording my wife, whose voice has been compared to Sheryl Crow's. I'll also be using it for my own vocals (my voice has been compared to a dying goose, or a deflating balloon) and occasional acoustic guitar.

My budget is low, and I'm on a bit of a minimalist kick, so the Shure MV7 is piquing my interest. However, I only hear about it being used for podcasts. Anyone have experience recording music with it?

My other choice will probably be a Rode NT1 and Focusrite Scarlett (I've used their gear in the past). I know that combo will get me what I want, though it is currently outside my budget... And of course, I'm impatient and curious about exploring new sounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It's a microphone.

You can sing into it, croak into it or place it in front of any sound source you want and it will convert sound pressure into an electrical signal.

Whether it, or any mic for that matter, fits your expectations of what the final result is would be up to you.

If it's your first mic and your budget is tight I would say get a Shure SM57 and a with a good pop filter and a decent interface and start learning what it takes to get something decent sounding recorded with a microphone. Should cost you maybe $200 or so total.
📝 Reply