The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Workhorse Tube Mic For Pop Vocals - £1K Budget
Old 11th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Workhorse Tube Mic For Pop Vocals - £1K Budget

Hi guys,

As the title says, I'm looking for a workhorse vocal mic for Pop sessions (female and male). I'm a writer producer so as I do a lot of writing sessions I'm not looking to be taking down and putting up mics all the time, just point and shoot.

I know there's no perfect mic for everyone but I'm on the hunt for something that will work across a broad range of tones as well as on acoustic guitar/misc overdubs!

So far I'm eyeing up the JZ mics (BH2 & V11) and the advanced audio C12 but looking for more recommendations.

Budget £1K but can push up a bit if needed.

Cheers!
Old 12th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bump bump on this - any pop guys/gals out there?
Old 13th April 2021
Gear Maniac

I know you asked about a tube mic specifically but if you need a one-size-fits-all for pop/modern hifi vocals I'd point you to the Mojave Audio MA-201. It's a FET but the results should matter more than the tech.

If you insist on tube I guess just get the Advanced Audio C800 G clone.
Old 13th April 2021
Lives for gear

Vanguard V13 - highly versatile and sounds great on male and female vocals.
Old 13th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another recommendation for the Vanguard V13. I have one and so far I’ve preferred it on pretty much every vocalist I’ve tried in on to all my other mics.
Old 13th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you so much. Just checking out the v13 and on female examples it feels like it brings forward some of that low nasal sound - does it take EQ well to help with little things with this/top end boosts?
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
I know you asked about a tube mic specifically but if you need a one-size-fits-all for pop/modern hifi vocals I'd point you to the Mojave Audio MA-201. It's a FET but the results should matter more than the tech.

If you insist on tube I guess just get the Advanced Audio C800 G clone.
I did have a look at the AA 800 but just couldn't find enough out there about it - if you know where I can hear one that'd be amazing!

Cheers
Old 13th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefish ➡️
Thank you so much. Just checking out the v13 and on female examples it feels like it brings forward some of that low nasal sound - does it take EQ well to help with little things with this/top end boosts?
Easy to fix the slightly nasaly tone - it's the lack of chalkboard scratchy highs you normally get with female vocalists and cheaper condensors that grabs me - the v13 stands out as an excellent female vocal mic in this price range. Male vocals (especially rock) are much easier where almost anything works if you're willing to spend a bit of time EQing - that said you don't need do do that much EQing with the v13.

Obviously the room has a huge impact - the Back to Black vocals were recorded with a SE22200A (I have the same model) but when I try to record female vocals with my SE2200A it takes my head off!
📝 Reply