The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG K-240 headphones old vs new (comparison)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
AKG K-240 headphones old vs new (comparison)

I recently got on a headphones buying kick and compared a few sets that I see talked about here and on head-fi. The favorite of the bunch was the old Austrian 600 ohm version vs the new k-240 from China. Both are good, but the old ones were a little smoother and forgiving to highs. Maybe this is bad for use a mixing reference since we want to mix so highs sound good through almost anything. I found that pre-1990s music that sounds good through earbuds, sounds excellent through the 240s... almost like they checked them as a reference when mixing.

But if anyone wonders if there's a difference between the Austrian 600 ohm and the China 55 ohm, yes there is. I wish there was a China 600 ohm to compare side by side since obviously that's going to make a difference. I think there is an Austrian 55 ohm k240. I'd like to hear that since that will tell if it's the region of manufacture making the difference.

On the down side, I can use the 55 ohm with a phone or mp3 player (at my usual medium loud listening levels). I can only use the 600 ohm with an interface or more powerful amp to get any kind of moderate to loud volume levels. But the tradeoff is worth it for the better quality audio.

I have a pair of Austria K701s coming today (55 ohm I believe). Looking forward to hearing those.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Right, headphone amps, along with everything else, has become low powered. So, they changed the K240s to match, as the old ones needed a serious power amp. For monitoring, I prefer the old ones, powered by an old and heavy power amp.
Old 3 weeks ago
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk โžก๏ธ
I recently got on a headphones buying kick and compared a few sets that I see talked about here and on head-fi. The favorite of the bunch was the old Austrian 600 ohm version vs the new k-240 from China. Both are good, but the old ones were a little smoother and forgiving to highs. Maybe this is bad for use a mixing reference since we want to mix so highs sound good through almost anything. I found that pre-1990s music that sounds good through earbuds, sounds excellent through the 240s... almost like they checked them as a reference when mixing.

But if anyone wonders if there's a difference between the Austrian 600 ohm and the China 55 ohm, yes there is. I wish there was a China 600 ohm to compare side by side since obviously that's going to make a difference. I think there is an Austrian 55 ohm k240. I'd like to hear that since that will tell if it's the region of manufacture making the difference.

On the down side, I can use the 55 ohm with a phone or mp3 player (at my usual medium loud listening levels). I can only use the 600 ohm with an interface or more powerful amp to get any kind of moderate to loud volume levels. But the tradeoff is worth it for the better quality audio.

I have a pair of Austria K701s coming today (55 ohm I believe). Looking forward to hearing those.
I'm using an old 600-ohm AKG DF (Diffuse Field) model here; it's one of the better headphones from that era for mixing. The Avid Omni has just enough power to comfortably drive them to moderate levels, but even better is a power amplifier as vernier has noted. Bryston 2B-LP Pro is a nice match.

Sky
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Ok to update the thread... I bought an Austria 55 ohm k240 studio headphones and they do sound different than the Chinese pair. I liked the Chinese 240 but these make them sound cheap by comparison. The highs are more quality sounding (less harsh). The overall character is similar. Maybe with break in that would change. I have maybe 20 hours on the china pair so far. I noticed that the voice coil magnet wire is red on the Austria and is more natural clear on the Austria. Probably a different wire insulation type. My guess is a European wire supplier vs china for the new ones.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
"Smoother" is a good way to put it. I have an old pair of the 600ohm AKG-240 'Studios' as well as a new pair I bought a few years back. Ive never been able to use the old ones correctly as I dont have a separate headphone amp and my MOTU's cant drive them properly. I would have the volume completely cranked trying to track something like a bass or guitar and I wouldn't be able to hear the playback if I was in the same room. The newer 55 ohm ones are plenty loud but yeah they seem a bit 'harsher' then the old ones but maybe thats the volume difference and the fact that I probably haven't used them enough to break them in yet (I use my DT990s for everything now).
๐Ÿ“ Reply