The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap vocal chain....
Old 7th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Cheap vocal chain....

Hi guys,

I am trying to replicate the vocal chain I use in my home studio for rehearsal/live for a reasonable price.

At home I use a Shure SM7 (old original) into a neve 1073 dpx with a 1176 into the insert loop (between the preamp and the eq). Sounds just perfect for my voice.

Take into consideration that I cannot go software, all this goes into a TC helicon voicelive 3 extreme which has latency at the very limit of the tolerable and I cannot add ANY latency, this has to be hardware.

I have a second SM7 and a newer SM7B, so no problem there.
I considered the Klark Technik 76 KT as a cheapo 1176 but I have trouble with the preamp and eq situation.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

F.

Last edited by Fantomaz; 7th April 2021 at 12:01 PM..
Old 7th April 2021
If you're going to use the Voicelive Extreme, just embrace it and use its on-board processing. It is what it is - a very powerful live performance tool, but not a studio quality device. [I have one from my solo guitar and vocal aspiration days]

Otherwise, if maximum quality is your objective, it's time to take the Voicelive out of the signal path. Then you can use a low latency interface and software to do almost anything to your signal. Or hardware if you want - but no point adding more expensive stuff to the audio path if the Voicelive is already the weakest link.
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal ➡️
If you're going to use the Voicelive Extreme, just embrace it and use its on-board processing. It is what it is - a very powerful live performance tool, but not a studio quality device. [I have one from my solo guitar and vocal aspiration days]

Otherwise, if maximum quality is your objective, it's time to take the Voicelive out of the signal path. Then you can use a low latency interface and software to do almost anything to your signal. Or hardware if you want - but no point adding more expensive stuff to the audio path if the Voicelive is already the weakest link.
Thanks for your reply, I already use it, and it is indeed a very powerful tool.

But I did a test at home with my 1073 + 1176 combo as a front end into the voicelive and it sounds waaaaaaay better that way.

I think the preamp in the voicelive is pretty horrible, and it is to be expected for a device that price, it does a LOT for the price, dont get me wrong.

Also it doesn't have any "drive/harmonic saturation" emulation which is what the 1073 + 1176 combo provide.

I already use a very low latency interface for my live setup (rme ufx+) and I have been toying with the idea of using plugins instead of the voicelive.

It all boils down to practicality, the voicelive, as the old device it is, is a bitch to program (i heard there is an editor for pc but I am on mac) BUT it is super convenient for switching effects on and off while performing and, while the effects are just ok I found NOTHING that beats it for harmonies.

I run scenes in ableton live while singing and playing guitar, all that playing along with other musicians, so things get pretty busy.

The only way I have found at the moment to work with plugins is to have a different live session for each song, which is already a bitch. And then map the A B crossfader function to an expression pedal. That way I have can have different vocal treatment for the verse and the chorus.

I works, and I can use reverbs, delays and modulations that are a gazillion times better than the ones on the voicelive, but it is limited, and I still miss the voicelive harmonies.

I soooo which TC Helicon's new owners would invest in r&d to make a replacement for the voicelive which is basically a 10 years old machine whith limited processing power. :-/

Last edited by Fantomaz; 7th April 2021 at 12:04 PM..
📝 Reply