The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacing mogami sockets on MXL V69 with XLR sockets
Old 6th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Replacing mogami sockets on MXL V69 with XLR sockets

Hello low end peeps.

I tried to scrape together all the knowledge that might give me a solution, but couldn't find it across the board.

I have had my MXL V69 for about 13 years now and only last month did the PSU die on me. I got it repaired for £10 and it was just the fuse that blew.

However, a long-standing problem I have is that a crackling noise comes and goes in the signal, plus the amplitude isn't nearly as high as it should be; the gain level on my ART pre-amp is up close to full to get a good signal level. Also, this noise is definitely coming from the mic, the mogami cable or the PSU, since any other input into the pre-amp doesn't give this noise, and I've recorded with a different mic into the same channel, without any issues.

So, with a new PSU being £100 or more to order from the US to UK, and a new mogami cable being £70-90 from the US, I'm thinking that every time either the PSU or mogami cables dies on me, it will cost me a lot more than if I got my repair guy to just remove the mogami sockets from the mic and power supply.

My two questions are:

1. is there any noticeable sonic difference between mogami and XLR?

2. is such a replacement of the sockets possible with the V69; is the mic circuitry designed to function with the mogami output?
Old 7th April 2021
Lives for gear
The V69 is a tube mic that requires it's own power supply and seven pin cable between the mic and the supply.

The mic can not function with phantom power so it needs a seven pin cable, there is no way to replace this with a three pin XLR.

If you are talking about replacing the male XLR on the power supply you could but it's pretty seriously unlikely the original there is the source of your problem unless it makes the noise when you move the XLR coming out of it around and the noise seems related to that movement.

The noise you describe is likely to be the tube, the mic capsule or other components in the mic itself or in the power supply.

Moisture on the capsule can also create noise with a condenser mic but that is usually due to spit from singing closely and the mic will usually work ok if used to mic an instrument that doesn't put out moisture like a human singing does but I get the impression your V69 has the issue all the time... correct?
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
The V69 is a tube mic that requires it's own power supply and seven pin cable between the mic and the supply.

The mic can not function with phantom power so it needs a seven pin cable, there is no way to replace this with a three pin XLR.

If you are talking about replacing the male XLR on the power supply you could but it's pretty seriously unlikely the original there is the source of your problem unless it makes the noise when you move the XLR coming out of it around and the noise seems related to that movement.

The noise you describe is likely to be the tube, the mic capsule or other components in the mic itself or in the power supply.

Moisture on the capsule can also create noise with a condenser mic but that is usually due to spit from singing closely and the mic will usually work ok if used to mic an instrument that doesn't put out moisture like a human singing does but I get the impression your V69 has the issue all the time... correct?
Thanks for clearing up the (im)possibility of replacing the mogami socket.

The noise comes and goes. Sometimes it disappears and then comes back. Regarding proximity to the mic when used for vocals, I follow the principle of using the pop shield as the last line of defense for keeping the vocalist at the right distance, so nobody, including myself, ever gets close enough to the mic for moisture to get into it.

Never thought before: I'll record the noise and post it in here, in case that helps anyone in sussing the problem out.

Also, I'll post pics of the inside of the mic, in case there's anything obvious that I simply don't know to look for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Here is the insides of the mic, if anyone can see anything visibly wrong?

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
As with anything tube amplified, your first stop should be changing the tube. See if that fixes the problem. You need a 5751 of some sort - I don't believe any of the current production ones are anything special (or even match the 5751 datasheet spec, for that matter). Luckily NOS 5751s are not insane money - Watford Valves has NOS GE 5751s for relatively cheap but they also have new production ones from JJ, Tung-Sol, Sovtek, etc.
📝 Reply