The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk me out of buying IK MTMs (Poll added for easy rendering of opinion)
View Poll Results: How should this other feller spend his money, key point, it's not your money.
stick to the plan and buy the cheapo Eris 3.5s
2 Votes - 25.00%
the E44s will do more than the tiny speakers
0 Votes - 0%
Just buy the IKs,they're not really THAT expensive.
3 Votes - 37.50%
Bust out the big credit card , Focal Shape Twin
2 Votes - 25.00%
Something else that this poor sap doesn't know about.
1 Votes - 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Talk me out of buying IK MTMs (Mystery poll still attached , no can delete)

Ok, nobody wants to read all of that, how about those IK MTM iloud thingies? Worthabuy?

Last edited by d.igital; 4 weeks ago at 05:36 AM.. Reason: cause I talk too much, I never shut up
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I bought the Focal Twins and they've been my favorite gear purchase. Great clarity and detail. A little light in the bass response, but that's not a problem for me. Plus you can use the IK room correction software with them if you want. Win/Win!
Old 4 weeks ago
I have the MTMs. They have been good. The sound quality, bass extension and power they deliver is extraordinary for their size.

My lingering reservation is that my brain does somehow know that the signal has been processed, there is something difficult to describe going on there. Also the bass, when significantly pushed, also has a forced quality ... a bit like with those resonator equipped bluetooth speaker things - it sounds different to a ported or sealed enclosure somehow. They are also priced a in a bracket where you can get some very good alternatives if you can find space for bigger boxes and don't need to carry them around.

Their true forte is as a portable solution. The drivers having mesh screens, their small size and the ability to do onboard calibration to the space means you can take them almost anywhere and set them up for reasonable monitoring.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk ➡️
I bought the Focal Twins and they've been my favorite gear purchase. Great clarity and detail. A little light in the bass response, but that's not a problem for me. Plus you can use the IK room correction software with them if you want. Win/Win!
Yeah, I can see that. One thing that I've come to appreciate over time is that certain audio purchases really "spark joy" pardon the phrase. I only seem to regret money spent on speakers that I don't like the sound of, looking at you HS50s.

I had written more detail but realized that the post was just too long, I'm a bit of a blowhard. I do have some Rokit 10-3s at midfield that have great bass extension. I really like them as a "production" speaker.

That is just a crazy amount of money for speakers though. I'll have to sleep on that a few nights.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal ➡️
I have the MTMs. They have been good. The sound quality, bass extension and power they deliver is extraordinary for their size.

My lingering reservation is that my brain does somehow know that the signal has been processed, there is something difficult to describe going on there. Also the bass, when significantly pushed, also has a forced quality ... a bit like with those resonator equipped bluetooth speaker things - it sounds different to a ported or sealed enclosure somehow. They are also priced a in a bracket where you can get some very good alternatives if you can find space for bigger boxes and don't need to carry them around.

Their true forte is as a portable solution. The drivers having mesh screens, their small size and the ability to do onboard calibration to the space means you can take them almost anywhere and set them up for reasonable monitoring.
Yes, you have articulated my concerns as well. Well, that and the price and that they're made by IK. Price is weird, I don't mind spending more money for things that I perceive have value, I just feel that IK speakers priced like small Genelecs are overpriced. That's irrational perception, I know.

But that they can quickly adjust to any space, and that I don't need them as my only speakers gives them a plus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.igital ➡️
Well, that and the price and that they're made by IK. Price is weird, I don't mind spending more money for things that I perceive have value, I just feel that IK speakers priced like small Genelecs are overpriced.
Took the words out of my mouth.

In their price range I would go with someone else.

For context, I have a set of the original ilouds, and they are okay as a reference, but I also paid half of retail for them. I wouldn’t have paid $300 for those either.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have Presonus Eris E5's, and my next purchase is going to be MTM's. And then after that probably a sub for the E5's because they have nice built in cutoff points and some good tone controls.

(EDIT: Ok, maybe not...just checked out the Similar Threads below and it looks like a bad purchase?).

Last edited by XHipHop; 4 weeks ago at 08:28 PM..
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
I have Presonus Eris E5's, and my next purchase is going to be MTM's. And then after that probably a sub for the E5's because they have nice built in cutoff points and some good tone controls.

(EDIT: Ok, maybe not...just checked out the Similar Threads below and it looks like a bad purchase?).
I had read some of that thread, but not all of it. It seems that there are some specific issues with the MTMs. They sound like the kind of issues that you might encounter with all of that DSP processing in between your DACs and the output and stuff not being fully worked out.

I get it, progress, but I'm not sure if I need all that bass.

queue Boogie Nights quote....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I tried two pairs of the MTMs but I always had an issue with bass clipping and distorting. I really wanted to like them, but they just didn’t really pump at all. Moved on to PreSonus and I’m pretty satisfied with them. Still miss my KRK Rokits, though.

Oh, and this, too, while I’m here...

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, the TK421 modification makes all the difference.

For what it’s worth though, the latest episode of the audionowcast podcast has a segment about setting up a new 5.1 setup, and Mike, the host, was thinking about the MTM’s but I saw from the show notes that he wound up choosing different speakers. I haven’t listened yet (he mentioned it on the episode prior that I just finished), so it would be worth checking that out to see what he had to say. I’ve heard good things about the mtm, but have never heard them, so I’m interested to hear his thoughts. I use Yamaha hs5’s with arc3 running and they’ve been good. I traded my jbl 306mkii for the yamahas because the jbl’s were making things sound “too nice.” The Yamahas most definitely do not, so they’ve been better for me for mixing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Maybe I should start a different thread, but, does anyone know if Adam has stopped making the A3x? Nobody seems to have them in stock and I don't know whether it's a temporary thing or a permanent thing. Same thing with the Eve Audio SC203.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Well, after extensive virtual listening tests I'm pretty sure that I don't want anything in the eris line. Perhaps it's not the best way to listen given that I'm hearing the coloring of monitors by both microphones and my own speakers. I can definitely hear the difference in bass extension and quality as well as the high extension.

I'm guessing the Eris 3.5s are so popular because of the high extension. I feel like that's their only real redeeming quality. The bass doesn't sound bad, per se, there just isn't any at all. Even the Mackie 3.5s have more bass.

At any rate, the Eris 44 sounds like it might fit the bill, but it's right there in that spot where it's too large to be really compact and too expensive to be really cheap. Don't get me wrong, there not really expensive, but, I'd rather put the $400 to something that I'm not second guessing so much.
Here for the gear
I'd quote, but I can't quote images, I guess I'm a gslutz peon. Which presonus?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I was looking at the MTMs and then decided to spend a bit more and go with the Neumann KH80s. No regrets. I later added the sub.

I do (or did, pre-COVID) location work and the KH80s are a perfect fit for me because they are very capable for mixing, but hold up well on location and in acoustically weird spaces.

The additional calibration software with a mic works well, too.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.igital ➡️
Maybe I should start a different thread, but, does anyone know if Adam has stopped making the A3x? Nobody seems to have them in stock and I don't know whether it's a temporary thing or a permanent thing. Same thing with the Eve Audio SC203.
https://www.altomusic.com/eve-audio-...ild_index=1611
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I own 2 sets of IK MTM. I really like them. One for a studio with partial sound treatment and the other for referencing live with an L'Acoustic system. I've mixed with them live calibrated and un-calibrated getting great results. In the studio I use the ARC3 with them as 2nd reference to a pair of Yamaha HS8. What I like about these is if it sounds good 2 feet away from your ears it generally will translate anywhere. Unless you've spent big bucks professionally treating the sound in your room, these should help your mixes translate to the real world. What baffles me about people looking for "the perfect monitors" is that in most cases their room's low end is seriously messed up from 250Hz down. Most rooms are.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I never heard them, i am sure they have high spl and deep bass extension. But since you cannot break physics laws, you are actually paying those qualites somewhere else due to heavy dsp processing.
IMHO you can get a lot more soundwise by a TPA3116 clone and some quality used decent sized passive speaker (tannoy, mission etc..) for half the price of mtm
📝 Reply