The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Half-cardioid boundary room mic pair - XY or spaced?
Old 3rd April 2021
Here for the gear

Half-cardioid boundary room mic pair - XY or spaced?

I got a pair of beyerdynamic installation boundary mics for almost nothing. They’re made for putting into holes drilled in boardroom tables and the like, but I’m gonna try installing them in a wood panel and use for room mics. The trouble is I’m not sure how to configure them. XY means I can use a smaller boundary panel, and seems the logical place to start. If I go spaced, I need to drill holes in the boundary - how far apart? ORTF is an easy choice I guess... and with a hemispherical/omni I’d put the holes in the middle, but I presume with cardioid I can put them at the back of the panel to take maximum advantage of the boundary panel size?
Any advice?
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsmasher ➡️
XY means I can use a smaller boundary panel
How do you figure? LF response is impacted by boundary size regardless of how proximate one mic is to its stereo partner.

fwiw back in the day when PZMs were the shiney new toy on the block the standard home-brew DIY stereo array consisted of a 4x8 sheet of plywood cut in half and joined with piano hinge. Mount the two boundary mics centered on the edge nearest the hinge. Splay the two boundaries 90° apart, boom! you've got an XY array. Collapse the two boundaries (i.e., 0° apart, so folded flat as if for transport) and now you've got a Jecklin Disc of sorts. If you mount the mics with velcro you can have alternate locations closer to the center of each panel, allowing for ORTF and a more legit Jecklin Disc approximation.

They were heavy and impractical AF, but they sounded pretty decent and they were cheap. Nowadays I'd see if I could use sheets of plexiglass or composite, something lighter than plywood.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try hanging one on the chest of the drummer. If they don't move too much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How do you figure? LF response is impacted by boundary size regardless of how proximate one mic is to its stereo partner.

I wasn’t smart enough to think of splitting the boundary in 2/ making it foldable, so thought that with more distance between mics I’d have to have a bigger boundary. Thanks for pointing out!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsmasher ➡️
I wasn’t smart enough to think of splitting the boundary in 2/ making it foldable, so thought that with more distance between mics I’d have to have a bigger boundary. Thanks for pointing out!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…