The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daking One W/ SSL2?
Old 30th March 2021
Daking One W/ SSL2?

Will adding a Daking One preamp to bypass a SSL2 pre provide me a significant improvement in preamp quality? The filter feature seems nice, recording hip hop vocals.
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear
Yes a good transformer based micpreamp like the Daking One is a significant improvement over a mic input on basic interface like the SSL2.

Whether you will find it to be "significant" sounding is the question.

A good micpreamp doesn't fix your room or your singing or make a lousy guitar amp sound like a great one.

If you are doing everything correctly a high quality micpreamp is a nice little extra but is slight in comparison to the source, the mic, mic placement, and processing like compression and eq.

It can be nice icing on the cake but the cake has to be good to start with. Icing doesn't fix a sh!t cake.
Old 3rd April 2021
ZEF
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I agree, with JL, it will get you a known solid pro piece (only one channel of it) but you might still be seeking a sound in your head, thats maybe a saturation or compression type sound. Its why a lot of vocal chains include a eq or compressor after the preamp...the preamp gain and improving over the IC interface preamp might not be super noticeable to the ears as much as it is to the signal chain. You might want a crunched compressor next.(or use a plugin for now)

DAKING, GREATRIVER, ISA, GRACE DESIGN...all great hi end companys that sell these single channel models that are solid pieces and under $1000 usually, at least used... UA 610 Solo was used on Twenty One Pilots "Stressed Out" vocal I read (and many more tweaks and comps etc..), is that hiphop? I dont know anymore.
Old 4 weeks ago
https://voca.ro/1hqKMUSJbmD4
https://voca.ro/14gamJ62JJaR

raw vocals with no plugins & at a -1 volume level

most recent vocal, no plugins.
https://voca.ro/1bwvyodW3d6b
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVAHMON ➡️
https://voca.ro/1hqKMUSJbmD4
https://voca.ro/14gamJ62JJaR

raw vocals with no plugins & at a -1 volume level

most recent vocal, no plugins.

https://voca.ro/1bwvyodW3d6b

Bae 1073DMP?

So being with SSL2 not being able to fully be bypassed with an external pre, will I still get the full %100 benefits of the preamps quality if I was to add a BAE 1073 dmp through the SSL2?

recently noticed that there are "no line inputs or ADAT input on your audio interface, the last option is to use the combo jack input and turn the gain down."
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I know this says synth input to the SSL, but it’s the same for using an external pre. You might need to get an XLR (female) to TRS cable depending on the pre. https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/...-with-SSL-2-2-

What mic do you use? Changing mics might have a bigger effect in your sound.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna ➡️
I know this says synth input to the SSL, but it’s the same for using an external pre. You might need to get an XLR (female) to TRS cable depending on the pre. https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/...-with-SSL-2-2-

What mic do you use? Changing mics might have a bigger effect in your sound.
k, I will then look more into it. As for mic, the one work with is good, it's a condenser, if you can, listen to the vocals in the thread. I'm not sure what kind of preamp I'm looking for..I'm thinking a black lion b173mk2, a daking pre 1, a bae1073dmp or GreatRiver ME-1nv

Only recording 1 channel, only myself.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Those are all pretty nice. Are they worth the money in your situation, not sure. I presume you’re looking to add some saturation and (and maybe EQ) on the way in? There are some other preamps that can do that for less, check out the Useful Arts Hornet, ART Pro MPA, Cranborne EC1 as some examples.
Quote:
Those are all pretty nice. Are they worth the money in your situation, not sure. I presume you’re looking to add some saturation and (and maybe EQ) on the way in? There are some other preamps that can do that for less, check out the Useful Arts Hornet, ART Pro MPA, Cranborne EC1 as some examples.
K, I will. What’s bothering now is that when I record mostly everything is clear & transparent but certain phrases or words at the ending of them get recorded at a very low response. Example: I said “ Entrust us to bless it” but it sounds like Entrust us to bless” (the ‘i’ before the “it” barely hearable, with the instrumental playing)

So I thought maybe a more transparent clean pre will help with that?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hmmm, it's kind of hard to know about your specific example without having been there to hear it in person. It could be any number of things besides a mic pre, most of which I'd suspect before doubting your SSL2. If it's often "at the ending" one thing I wonder is if you're running out of breath to fully get the last bit out. The mic and interface are just recording what is there (or not.)

My first advice is to book a couple hours at a local studio you trust. This will give you a good reference to compare against what you're doing yourself. Pay close attention to not just how they setup equipment but also how they work with you on multiple takes. Get the raw files they produce and also have them mix a song for you. Also, think about a vocal coach. People don't learn to sing opera on their own. It's actually odd more styles don't emphasize this, especially rap & hip-hop where breath control is also hyper important.
Quote:
Hmmm, it's kind of hard to know about your specific example without having been there to hear it in person. It could be any number of things besides a mic pre, most of which I'd suspect before doubting your SSL2. If it's often "at the ending" one thing I wonder is if you're running out of breath to fully get the last bit out. The mic and interface are just recording what is there (or not.)

My first advice is to book a couple hours at a local studio you trust. This will give you a good reference to compare against what you're doing yourself. Pay close attention to not just how they setup equipment but also how they work with you on multiple takes. Get the raw files they produce and also have them mix a song for you. Also, think about a vocal coach. People don't learn to sing opera on their own. It's actually odd more styles don't emphasize this, especially rap & hip-hop where breath control is also hyper important.
yeah that all makes sense (I'm probably even fine with the Pres in the ssl2, I'll just keep at it.

have a listen to "Screw'em & Roadside Oddity" on soundcloud.com/gavahmon
I think I'm good, & if not, then at least okay at breath control, I do need to stop huffing on cigs though heh, I will work on it more.

TY
Quote:
K, I will. What’s bothering now is that when I record mostly everything is clear & transparent but certain phrases or words at the ending of them get recorded at a very low response. Example: I said “ Entrust us to bless it” but it sounds like Entrust us to bless” (the ‘i’ before the “it” barely hearable, with the instrumental playing)

re-recorded the hook with those endings being much better (I removed the pop filter & approached the microphone a few more inches closer) It does sound different though, maybe I'll apply that technique in certain aspects of a track, Ty
Lives for gear
Quote:

This is about phrasing and singing skills far more than the gear.

However since the introduction of flying faders and being able to draw volume envelopes individual words have been tweeked for intelligibility. Hell even before that people rode faders or knobs during tracking.

1. Fix the problem at the source, in other words focus on singing more evenly. Weak starts and finishes on lines are a common problem in recording. It's not the electonics at fault.

2. Compression and limiting is used on about every professional vocal ever recorded whether it was tape compression, limiting in mastering for vinyl, a compressor on the way to the recorder or hardware or software in post. This won't fix the most major problems but if you aren't using compression your issue will certainly be worse.

3. Go in post and boost the weak word(s) by a decibel or two or whatever it needs. If you are really mumbling that last word or syllable then it or might not work. If it's just low in volume you might get away with bringing it up a bit, might need a little eq as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
This is about phrasing and singing skills far more than the gear.

However since the introduction of flying faders and being able to draw volume envelopes individual words have been tweeked for intelligibility. Hell even before that people rode faders or knobs during tracking.

1. Fix the problem at the source, in other words focus on singing more evenly. Weak starts and finishes on lines are a common problem in recording. It's not the electonics at fault.

2. Compression and limiting is used on about every professional vocal ever recorded whether it was tape compression, limiting in mastering for vinyl, a compressor on the way to the recorder or hardware or software in post. This won't fix the most major problems but if you aren't using compression your issue will certainly be worse.

3. Go in post and boost the weak word(s) by a decibel or two or whatever it needs. If you are really mumbling that last word or syllable then it or might not work. If it's just low in volume you might get away with bringing it up a bit, might need a little eq as well.
thank you, I changed the mic placement including the filter & as well as the space between me & the mic...much better. I got the hook in the way I wanted it to be delivered.
Lives for gear
Quote:
thank you, I changed the mic placement including the filter & as well as the space between me & the mic...much better. I got the hook in the way I wanted it to be delivered.
Nice!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
on an online website nearly about to purchase a preamp, but need to pick out a cable for it to connect it to the interface...I want a XLR male to TRS? I connect the mic to the pre, xlr to xlr. Then the pre xlr male to the interface (TRS)?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
On most interfaces the line inputs will be 1/4" TRS whether they are a combi input like that SSL there or just a simple old school 1/4" TRS.

External micpreamps outputs can be different things sometimes.

Some might be only XLR line level but many offer both XLR and a 1/4".

1/4" outputs are sometimes the same signal as the XLR (balanced line level) or might be unbalanced and slightly lower level. Ya gotta RTFM on the particular device.

Safest cable to buy is XLR F to 1/4" TRS to do what you are trying to do here but you really should know what the two pieces of gear actually are that you want to connect before buying the cable to connect them.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
On most interfaces the line inputs will be 1/4" TRS whether they are a combi input like that SSL there or just a simple old school 1/4" TRS.

External micpreamps outputs can be different things sometimes.

Some might be only XLR line level but many offer both XLR and a 1/4".

1/4" outputs are sometimes the same signal as the XLR (balanced line level) or might be unbalanced and slightly lower level. Ya gotta RTFM on the particular device.

Safest cable to buy is XLR F to 1/4" TRS to do what you are trying to do here but you really should know what the two pieces of gear actually are that you want to connect before buying the cable to connect them.
Got the cable, connected everything, is it necessary to have the 48v on the interface & pre? with it being turned on the pre only it captures the recordings. with the 48v on the interface turned on it does as well but makes no difference in sound? it still captures the recording
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Got the cable, connected everything, is it necessary to have the 48v on the interface & pre? with it being turned on the pre only it captures the recordings. with the 48v on the interface turned on it does as well but makes no difference in sound? it still captures the recording
You should only use the +48 on the preamp. Turn it off on the interface if it is not directly connected to a microphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddP ➡️
You should only use the +48 on the preamp. Turn it off on the interface if it is not directly connected to a microphone.
thanks, another question heh, when powering off the 48v on the preamp, I'll wait a few minutes then turn off the line switch on the interface, then turn off the preamp then wait another minute or two then unplug the TRS thats going into the interface, is that safe?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The TRS part of the input on the interface doesn't carry phantom power on it. Only the xlr part has the 48v.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
i don’t want to create another thread, & it’s still relates with the pre.

XLR female from the preamp into the interface with TRS..then a XLR cable from the preamp into the microphone..i’d like to update the Mic cable.

Should i go with the XLR to XLR or look into a XLR female to TRS?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I know it may seem overly pedantic but the description of your signal flow there kind of hurts my head to read.

I've had to listen to way too many people over the years tell me that they were going to be plugging powered speakers into to mixer than I can stand!

Thinking of signal flow and describing it with the direction it actually goes in helps everybody.

It starts with the mic which is xlr out to the micpre which is an xlr input then from the micpre to the interface offers either xlr or 1/4" outs.

While some gear does have xlr line inputs most modern interfaces use 1/4" for line input and xlr is almost always a mic level input. For this reason you will need a female xlr to 1/4" trs to connect your micpre to your interface properly.
📝 Reply