The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Standalone Joe Meek MQ1
Old 27th March 2021
Here for the gear

Standalone Joe Meek MQ1

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here so please bare that in mind - don't bite!

I recently acquired a Joe Meek MQ1 unit for basically nothing on a marketplace. The MQ1, which released in around 2000, was designed to go into your PC and be powered through a Molex connector from the computer's PSU. I've tried this and the unit I think sounds really good, but I really want to make it standalone, with it's own devoted power supply - hopefully less noisy.

I've tried using an old computer PSU on its own just to power the unit, but it didn't work as the PSU doesn't come on without a connecting PC to act as an on switch, which defeats the point.

Has anyone else had any luck with cobbling together a power supply and could shed some light to help me?

Here are some quoted thread replies I found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe_n_Iain ➡️
Old thread, I suppose, but since I turned it up in a search I figure I may as well post a reply... Yes, it's entirely possible to use an MQ1 as a standalone device, though a little skill with a soldering iron will net better results than just running it from a surplus PC PSU. I have 2 of them in a box with a decent power supply (and a stereo ADC) and they work very well. The PSU consists of a small mains-12v toroid transformer, a UF4007 bridge rectifier > 2200uF cap > LM7812 regulator > 220uF cap > LM7805 regulator > 220uF cap. With 12v and 5v feeds from the outputs of the regulators, of course. MUCH quieter than a PC supply - the MQ1 seems to have got a slightly bad reputation for being noisy, but this is mostly due to the enormous amount of switching noise a common or garden PC supply kicks out. A conventional linear supply is much quieter, but requires you to build one to suit and thus isn't for the less technically minded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugman ➡️
Well, i'm in love with my DIY racked, joemeek MQ1.
Many thanks!

Here's all the information/relevant posts I could find online:
www. Sound on sound .com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24761
https://tfpro.com/forums/topic/joe-meek-mq1-psu/
http://www.joemeek.com/pdf/mq1quickstart.pdf
Old 27th March 2021
Here for the gear

Hi there! I'll be glad to show you how i did it. Off course you could buy a linear 12 volt, 1A fully regulated power supply, and connect it to the 12 volt (yellow) and common (black) of the molex. If you use a Switch PSU, it has to be a really good one, so i think it is easy to get a linear PSU. You're welcome to ask, if you decide to build one yourself.
Old 28th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey, thanks for your reply!

So I'm looking at:

12v, 1a fully regulated DC power supply that is then connected to a Molex 12v (Yellow) and common (black ). Then I can connect the molex adapter to the MQ1.

Did you direct connect the power supply and the molex cable, or did you add a port to the box?

Also does the choice of black - common cable on the molex make any difference? As there are two of them.

Many thanks!!
Here for the gear

Hi! There is no difference between common wires, but I've used the black one next to the yellow. Because i'm stubburn, I bought a 12VAC PSU, and then made the rectifying circuit myself. I'm no tech guy, but I've talked to Ted Fletcher, the creator of joemeek (great and accessible person, by the way), so the info I am passing here is legit. I' ve built it, because the VDC ones I could find where cheap, and that means noise. You could even use an unregulated one, but then again, noise. If you want to, I may draw the circuit diagram (in an easy understandable way), and send you. Are you good at soldering?
(Please forgive any syntax or grammar errors, as i'm portuguese)
Here for the gear

That sounds super helpful if you could send me that! And yes I'm proficient enough at soldering I think to do something like this. I've been looking at Ted Fletcher's website but I had no idea that he made the units!

Ps your translations are really good!
Old 28th March 2021
Here for the gear

PSU diagram/circuit

Ok, here it goes. This is not a "scientific" diagram, as I didn't use the right symbology. There are a lot of PSU diagrams over the internet, but I can tell that this one is silent and works very well. Dont forget that you have to acquire a 12 VAC (1A at least) psu. Those are cheap.
(Thanks.I allways wrote and spoke good english, but i'm a bit forgotten.)
Attached Thumbnails
Standalone Joe Meek MQ1-img_20210327_185509.jpg  
Old 28th March 2021
Here for the gear

PSU

Another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Standalone Joe Meek MQ1-img_20210302_211928.jpg  
Old 31st March 2021
Here for the gear

This has been super helpful, I've attached my interpretation of your diagrams just to make sure I'm getting it right and I've got a list of correct components. Thanks again for your wonderful help .
Attached Thumbnails
Standalone Joe Meek MQ1-mq1-power.jpg  
Old 31st March 2021
Gear Guru
10 uf is pretty small for a post regulator cap. Here I use 1000 uf minimum. It helps a lot.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Exactly! Just one small correction: the first item one the list, is a 12 Volt AC, not a linear one.
Here for the gear

I got it from the web. Improvements are welcome.
Here for the gear

Hi Jim. Thanks for your input. Are you "THE" Jim Williams??
Old 1st April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi Jim! May I use a 2200 uf instead? Thanks.
Old 9th April 2021
Here for the gear

I’ll upgrade the plans; 10uf to a 1000uf. Thanks Hugman and thank you Jim, after reading about your work it’s a great feeling that you replied to this thread! Many thanks!
📝 Reply