The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rock Drum Samples
Old 24th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Rock Drum Samples

Hi there fellas, can anyone recommend me a good site to get drum rock samples, Im more into hip hop and edm so I dont know much about those type samples, I use SPL drumxchanger so I guess any .wav library should work.
Maybe a small free library would work or a non expensive basic one, I saw CLA using some samples that really helped the sound, more into adding than replacing here.

Thanks
Old 24th March 2021
For rock, forget samples. You want a virtual drum instrument to get close. Stuff like Toontrack Superior Drummer (or EZdrummer), Fxpansion BFD, NI Abbey Road Drummer, Steven Slate Drums SSD and so forth. These emulate the process of recording a kit in a room with mics, which is wholly different to samples.
Old 24th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yep but I mean, I got some tracks for mixing with real drums and I want to add layers of samples to the actual kit, just to try see what happens, Im doing it with some Logic stock samples and its kinda cool, I guess there are some better samples for rock out there
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADA ➡️
yep but I mean, I got some tracks for mixing with real drums and I want to add layers of samples to the actual kit, just to try see what happens, Im doing it with some Logic stock samples and its kinda cool, I guess there are some better samples for rock out there
Have you tried manipulating the producer kits in logic? And do you use logic to do the replacement? I have drum xchanger as well and I find it pretty fidgety to use, but replace/double drum track in logic is excellent. The producer kits are often very solid, especially if you’re just testing.

I also use modo drum from IK multimedia, which is physically modeled for the shells, and that’s been really powerful. You can really tweak the drums to get what you want.
Old 3 weeks ago
Rock Drums Samples

A while back I offered these up for free in a thread called Drum samples.

Yea, but now I'll indulge in how I recorded these. All I did was disassemble the drum kit, tuned the drums, stand mounted the toms and miked each drum and cymbal. Using 2 cardioid microphones, a condensor (AT2020) and a dynamic (CAD KBM412).

For the toms I miked both heads. Condensor underneath to capture the resonant head and the dynamic up top to get the batter side. I repeatedly hit the drums, while listening on headphones to give me an idea on where to put the batter side mic especially, since it seemed like thats really where most of the "sound" was coming from. I did more or less the same thing with the resonant head mic but it really was just more set it and forget it with the back of the mic parallel, and not too far off the floor. I further adjusted tuning to what the mics were "hearing". The kick drum i just put both mics on the resonant side, i think. The cymbals were a little bit tricky but i continued with the 2 mic method, just took longer to find the right spots.

After I got the sounds recorded, I did some behind the scenes stuff. I mixed the mic feeds to taste. I did some EQ on the batter side mic feeds, to curb some stick thwack. On the Resonant side mic feeds I added some compression/ gating (Alesis 3630) to further enhance the tone/note/sustain, but yet tame the ringy-overtones a bit. I used pretty much the same process to get the cymbal sounds, a little EQ on one mic and a little noise gating on the other, blend to taste.

Overall recording experiment took maybe 2.5 hours.

I'll mention that the poplar snare, on its own, the tuning/snare setup may sound unappealing, but it is quite intentional. Try adding a splash of Plate Reverb or i guess a wash of any reverb to that particular sample and listen to what happens. It really sings ROCK snare.
Attached Files

10x8 Birch Tom.wav (4.22 MB, 179 views)

12x10 Birch Tom.wav (4.03 MB, 177 views)

14in A custom.wav (7.18 MB, 178 views)

14in Planet Z hihats.wav (6.85 MB, 181 views)

16x4.5 Poplar Snare.wav (2.97 MB, 194 views)

16x16 Birch Tom.wav (4.11 MB, 184 views)

18in ZHT Fast Crash.wav (8.76 MB, 186 views)

21in Zildjan Armand Ride.wav (7.23 MB, 184 views)

22x18 Birch Kick.wav (3.99 MB, 185 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
The birch drums are Pearl Export. With Remo Ebony heads. But the snare is a PDP z5 with custom bearing edges, and clear Remo Emperor. Kick drums got Aquarians Super Kick 2.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EZ Drummer sounds good to my ears. As the name implies, it is incredibly easy to arrange/edit a song within their editor.

This is the standard "vintage" kit squashed with an 1176 plug in.

Things can definitely get more interesting.
Attached Files

EZ Drummer - 4_12_21, 6.09 PM.m4a (894.3 KB, 77 views)

📝 Reply