The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass for recording, will be rarely used and heavily processed...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz ➡️
What about metal and industrial?
Darkglass pedals or their models as NeuralDSP plugins, great metal and industrial sounds.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh for sure. I am just trying to find a bass that inspires me and gives me GAS. Every bass I look at I'm just bored with. Where as with guitar I'd buy a thousand if I could. So if I could just find one Precision I think is pretty cool for $1500 I'd be happy.
When I suggested P or J with passive p/u's a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have suggested renting a good one before buying a cheap one, had I known you had a $1500 budget. Your original post gave me a different impression for your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record ➡️
When I suggested P or J with passive p/u's a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have suggested renting a good one before buying a cheap one, had I known you had a $1500 budget. Your original post gave me a different impression for your budget.
I don't really have a budget. I just want something to make me feel first. Still haven't seen a single bass that has made me want to pull a card out to swipe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't really have a budget. I just want something to make me feel first. Still haven't seen a single bass that has made me want to pull a card out to swipe.
I play a bit of bass, myself.. on and off since the late '80s. The major things to consider are the action, intonation, neck shape and tone. The first two are adjustable, but you don't want to be much off with either. The shape of the neck, whether thick or thin, wide or narrow is a personal preference based on hand size and styles and techniques of your playing.. there's also the finish on the back of the neck to consider... Gloss finish protects the wood from discoloration, but tends to create drag on your skin as you move around the neck. Satin finish feels great to the touch and causes no drag at all, but the back of the neck will show more signs of use over time, which doesn't bother me.. A bass is made to be played, not babied.
After reading that you plan to always process the bass tone heavily, l wondered if that might be one of the reasons you cant find a bass that "speaks" to you.. The natural tone of the bass seems to be less important in that scenario.
I play a Fender American Pro Precision, an Ovation Magnum and an Aria Pro ll. I dont process my bass live with anything but eq.. for recording it's just eq and some compression. The fender records the best of them all, but the other two are good to play live with.. the Magnum is a beast but it sounds huge, the Aria is comfortable to play and sounds smooth with the flats l have on it. Hope some of that helps.
📝 Reply