The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you were to splurge on one thing in a project studio, what would it be?
Old 30th March 2021
Gear Guru

And what of Comb Filtering?
Is there a Permanent Solution?
Chris
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
And what of Comb Filtering?
Is there a Permanent Solution?
Chris
No need to snarl about it! Get yourself a Digital Detangler.
Old 1st April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrobis ➡️
Thanks to everyone who has commented, especially @ Atmospheric and @ standup who shared some of their work.

I'm attaching something I've been working on if anyone is curious. Very much a work-in-progress. No lyrics/vocals yet. I know the performances are rickety, with some timing issues here and there, but I'm still trying to line up the best capture process for my space so I haven't spent much time trying to get the the best takes.

Anyway I felt I should hang something out there and risk reactions from the gallery
If that's recorded in your basement, then you're set. Just roll up sleeves and continue recording.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLSentelle ➡️
Ownings-Corning 703 2x4 panels of fiberglass, doubled and covered with fabrics
Don’t even think about it if you care about your health and the health of your loved ones. I cannot fathom how people can willy nilly suggest being in proximity to such a health hazard on a daily basis. Use something safe. Use shredded towels/jeans (fire risk though), hemp panels (not flammable?), anything that’s not going to jeopardize your/your loved ones’ health.

Just think about it, let’s say this Corning 703 sh!t is the perfect acoustical solution. Is it really worth it to risk your health for acoustical perfection? No. I’d rather record and mix in a reverberant place that poses no health hazard. This 703 sh!t needs to go away forever.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
One thing? MONITORS.

That’s exactly what I did and absolutely do not regret it.

One day 15 years ago, I was at the Rupert Neve Designs office out here in Wimberley and they had some Adam S3-A monitors sitting on crt television stands bolted to the wall in the conference room... there was glass immediately left of the left speaker, and glass between the speakers, but a huge open area to the right of the right speaker with a nice reflective conference table between me and the speakers. I was listening to some of their products and it struck me that the monitors sounded amazing, even though the listening situation was FAR from perfect in regards to listening position and room acoustics.

That’s when I decided to buy myself a set... if it sounded good there, it would sound good in whatever crappy apartment I could afford to rent as a college student! Best decision I ever made, at least in regards to audio engineering... I paid $208/mo for 24 months on a Sweetwater no interest credit card as a poor college kid, but I still use the speakers today and I still love them.

-B
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
Don’t even think about it if you care about your health and the health of your loved ones. I cannot fathom how people can willy nilly suggest being in proximity to such a health hazard on a daily basis. Use something safe. Use shredded towels/jeans (fire risk though), hemp panels (not flammable?), anything that’s not going to jeopardize your/your loved ones’ health.

Just think about it, let’s say this Corning 703 sh!t is the perfect acoustical solution. Is it really worth it to risk your health for acoustical perfection? No. I’d rather record and mix in a reverberant place that poses no health hazard. This 703 sh!t needs to go away forever.
I hate to break it to you man, but the primary use of compressed fiberglass panels isn’t in studios... It’s in home and commercial HVAC ducting... they make manifold boxes out of that and aluminum tape in almost every install and that’s got forced air blowing across it all day... I’m not saying it’s completely innocuous, but wrapping them with fabric and attaching them to a wall is not going to kill anyone. I actually have zippered canvas bags that fit up to a two inch thick 2x4’ panel. I slide the panel in, zip it shut, hang it on the wall using the grommets on the flap above the zipper and it’s good to go. There’s enough space to slide in a diffuser panel in front of the fiber panel if I want that too!

It’s cost effective BECAUSE of the other, more commercial markets it is so frequently used in. It’s not really a specialty audio product and that’s why it’s affordable!

-B
📝 Reply