The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3U Audio CM1's
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
3U Audio CM1's

I have a Teal SE and just got in a Black SE yesterday . These are single voiced cardioid only versions of their more expensive Warbler series mics. The "SE" stands for second edition - the Teal SE has only been available for a couple months and the Black SE just came out.

The Teal uses an edge terminated capsule like vintage AKG mics and the Black uses a center terminated capsule like vintage Neumann mics. Having both kinda covers the two most popular vintage mic flavors.

Both seem to use the same circuit boards (perhaps with different value caps or ?). Typical transformerless FET circuit most likely. Identical 50Hz 12 dB/oct switched HPF and 10 dB pad switch. The headbaskets are slightly different, 251 style on the Teal and Neumann style on the Black.

The earlier versions supposedly sound the same - these are easier to make (surface mount components, less HPF and pad options) and a bit more stout internally (cast frames).

I actually had to use my Behringer B2 Pro Thursday night as the Black hadn't come in yet - it did an amazing job on a male vocal and is covered here on its own thread. There's a good chance that the Behringer's capsule was designed by the same guy that now runs 3U Audio - best Chinese made capsules available I'm told.
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatkin ➡️
Experimenting tonight, I think I learned that the CM1 Teal SE picks up more room sound than the standard Black model. Has anyone else noticed this please? Am I mistaken? Is it to be expected?
Thanks, Gavin
I've not had a chance to use them both together yet. AFAIK the capsules didn't change between the "standard" and "SE" versions.
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
BTW these sell for $164 shipped on eBay with free express shipping from China.

Does anyone know of any < $200 mics that are "better" flavors of AKG/Neumann mics? I'd put the Behringer B2 Pro in the "as good" running against the Black.

BTW for those who favor (more expensive) transformer coupled mics here's the word on that right from the horse's mouth LOL :
https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/e...hich-is-better

There may be tube mics worth looking at in the $500+ range but I doubt you'd find one much under $1000 that sounds as good as the CM1's?

Let the arguments begin!
Old 25th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While I have no need for either of these cool little guys at the moment, I have the utmost confidence in Guosheng's work and I might get a set of these from him in a few months just to try them out. I'm sure they're the best mics you can get in this price range.
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Guru

IMHO my AKG P120, has a similar "size" to the vocal it captures. I was amazed how much my friend's, Avalon M5 Pre and Atomic Squeezebox Compressor...
Hardware brought to the table., to make it sound bigger. Ranger, what kind(s) of Pre(s) are you using? Any favorite Hardware and/or Plugs?
Chris
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger ➡️
BTW these sell for $164 shipped on eBay with free express shipping from China.

Does anyone know of any < $200 mics that are "better" flavors of AKG/Neumann mics? I'd put the Behringer B2 Pro in the "as good" running against the Black.
So I’ve been researching for a few weeks kinda best bang for your buck mics, and obviously on here I see 3U come up a lot. Only thing is the price is now 60% more than when everyone was recommending it. Personally I know it’s probably a great mic but I can’t bring myself to pay such a price increase without anyone even talking about the price increase.

Just seems odd to me. Lots of talk about the mic, and then it goes way up in price and nobody mentions it. (Except for you)
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Guru

Have you seen the Big Thread on 3U microphones, in the Main Forum?
Lots of great info there too.

Welcome to GS!
Chris
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
IMHO my AKG P120, has a similar "size" to the vocal it captures.
I tried out an AKG P100 and it didn't hang with any of my microphones - but it may have had a rough past...
Quote:
Ranger, what kind(s) of Pre(s) are you using? Any favorite Hardware and/or Plugs?
Chris
I'm not a fan of "voicing" a mic before recording it - I'm just using the pre's in my Zoom L20 which are very transparent. Originally I was only supposed to be tracking - with final mixdown to be done by someone else - but that may have changed . I'm using Audacity with free plugins for my scratch mixes. On vocals (and most other things) I'm using these plugins:
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/
https://www.voxengo.com/product/oldskoolverb/
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobygordo ➡️
So I’ve been researching for a few weeks kinda best bang for your buck mics, and obviously on here I see 3U come up a lot. Only thing is the price is now 60% more than when everyone was recommending it. Personally I know it’s probably a great mic but I can’t bring myself to pay such a price increase without anyone even talking about the price increase.

Just seems odd to me. Lots of talk about the mic, and then it goes way up in price and nobody mentions it. (Except for you)
US dollar is doomed - buy while you still can. The SE versions are significantly better built IMO. I have a Behringer B2 Pro that sounds great too - but you don't want to look inside
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Have you seen the Big Thread on 3U microphones, in the Main Forum? Lots of great info there too.
Are you talking about the one carefully disguised as:
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings ?
That title excludes the CM1's as they do not have multiple voices ...
Here for the gear

Quote:
US dollar is doomed - buy while you still can. The SE versions are significantly better built IMO. I have a Behringer B2 Pro that sounds great too - but you don't want to look inside
I know the SE is probably improved but the whole charm of it was it was a $100 dollar mic. At $164 it expands the options greatly and even makes you consider like the warbler or something.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Are you talking about the one carefully disguised as:
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings ?
That title excludes the CM1's as they do not have multiple voices ...
You are assuming that we all stay focused and on topic in these threads... we mostly don’t. But at 200+ pages I can see not rolling through it. I do know they talk about the Teals and etc quite a bit on the last bunch of pages, so maybe that will hone it down a bit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gear Guru

Quote:
I tried out an AKG P100 and it didn't hang with any of my microphones - but it may have had a rough past...I'm not a fan of "voicing" a mic before recording it - I'm just using the pre's in my Zoom L20 which are very transparent. Originally I was only supposed to be tracking - with final mixdown to be done by someone else - but that may have changed . I'm using Audacity with free plugins for my scratch mixes. On vocals (and most other things) I'm using these plugins:
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/
https://www.voxengo.com/product/oldskoolverb/
The AKG P120 (black) has a flatter response, than the 100. I have the 200, which is the same as the 100.
But... Has a shock mount, instead of a mic clip.
Chris
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave ➡️
You are assuming that we all stay focused and on topic in these threads... we mostly don’t. But at 200+ pages I can see not rolling through it. I do know they talk about the Teals and etc quite a bit on the last bunch of pages, so maybe that will hone it down a bit.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I actually did read through it a while back and am subscribed . But the CM1's aren't really compared to the Warblers - or even other mics in their price range. It seems most folks run their Warblers on one voicing so the question is why spend twice as much for the same thing?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The AKG P120 (black) has a flatter response, than the 100. I have the 200, which is the same as the 100.
But... Has a shock mount, instead of a mic clip.
Chris
Yes, I've read that the P120 is in the same class as my $79 AT2020, which the P100 is not. BTW for those worried about rising prices check out what an AT2020 goes for today - I bough mine in June of this year . I like it on acoustic guitar - as an MDC it has qualities of both a SDC and an LDC. Very flat (unflavored) - those used to flavored mics won't like them.
Old 27th October 2020
Gear Guru

I used to own the AT2020. Trust me, it's "grainier", versus the P120.
If you hit the 40 Series level, whole new ballpark within AT.

Good thing AKG (for AKG) it doesn't push the P120 more... Because it would cannibalize it's 214 sales, for one thing.

The darn cheap old thang takes EQ like a champ (we're talkin' P120 here) and a Premium Vocal chain really makes it shine.
The mark of a good sounding condenser. It doesn't have the low self noise of the 3U's, so it's Forte is strictly close micing.

In the brief clip below, the P120 was run through an Atomic Squeezebox Compressor and Avalon M5 Pre.
While there's no "need" for me to fork out the $$, for the Squeezebox/Avalon set up, I know I can come pretty close, with some good Plugs.
Chris
Attached Files

Mangle Me 44.1_16.mp3 (542.9 KB, 979 views)

Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I used to own the AT2020. Trust me, it's "grainier", versus the P120.
Maybe I got a good one - mine is just booringly flat, where's the fun in that ?
Old 27th October 2020
Gear Guru

If it's smooooth boringly flat... You lucked out! (or else it has a Neumann U89 capsule hidden in it)

I remember a Pro Studio that bought a factory/used(!) mint Takamine for $150, that sounded "flukey great". So great it ended up being in a locked display case!
IIRC around one out of three Acoustic Guitar recordings were being done with it. Along with the high end Martin's/Taylor's/etc, they had there.
Does happen.
Chris
Old 3rd November 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
I have a Teal SE and just got in a Black SE yesterday . These are single voiced cardioid only versions of their more expensive Warbler series mics. The "SE" stands for second edition - the Teal SE has only been available for a couple months and the Black SE just came out.

The Teal uses an edge terminated capsule like vintage AKG mics and the Black uses a center terminated capsule like vintage Neumann mics. Having both kinda covers the two most popular vintage mic flavors.

Both seem to use the same circuit boards (perhaps with different value caps or ?). Typical transformerless FET circuit most likely. Identical 50Hz 12 dB/oct switched HPF and 10 dB pad switch. The headbaskets are slightly different, 251 style on the Teal and Neumann style on the Black.

The earlier versions supposedly sound the same - these are easier to make (surface mount components, less HPF and pad options) and a bit more stout internally (cast frames).

I actually had to use my Behringer B2 Pro Thursday night as the Black hadn't come in yet - it did an amazing job on a male vocal and is covered here on its own thread. There's a good chance that the Behringer's capsule was designed by the same guy that now runs 3U Audio - best Chinese made capsules available I'm told.
Which of the CM-1 SE's would you recommend for a baritone soul singer with a Martin acoustic guitar? I eventually would like both in my mic case like yourself, but I'd like to start with which ever might suit that bill better.
Old 3rd November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervish ➡️
Which of the CM-1 SE's would you recommend for a baritone soul singer with a Martin acoustic guitar? I eventually would like both in my mic case like yourself, but I'd like to start with which ever might suit that bill better.
I've not yet tried the Black CM-1 SE. I think I stated above that I ended up using a Behringer B2 Pro over the Teal on our baritone singer the day before I got the Black in. The Black has the same "family" of capsule as the Behringer B2 Pro so I'm fairly sure I would have used it if I had it.
I'm not a fan of using a LDC on an acoustic guitar but you should be OK with either. I used an AT2020 (MDC) on the Martin I recorded but a SDC would be fine. Today I'd buy an AKG P120 over the AT2020 for a MDC. YMMV
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
I've not yet tried the Black CM-1 SE. I think I stated above that I ended up using a Behringer B2 Pro over the Teal on our baritone singer the day before I got the Black in. The Black has the same "family" of capsule as the Behringer B2 Pro so I'm fairly sure I would have used it if I had it.
I'm not a fan of using a LDC on an acoustic guitar but you should be OK with either. I used an AT2020 (MDC) on the Martin I recorded but a SDC would be fine. Today I'd buy an AKG P120 over the AT2020 for a MDC. YMMV
I've found my Teal isn't the greatest choice for my baritone when singing, I think because the 2_3kHz dip loses some clarity. But used close-to it's a lovely spoken word mic and also lovely for my wife's soprano singing voice.

I will be interested to see how it treats my fiddle at some point.

To my ears and for my voice and style , the Black is a better choice for my singing.

Gavin
Old 11th November 2020
Gear Guru

I like to joke about the Neumann TLM 103, in similar fashion.
It'd be a fine VO mic on me, despite it's "ice pick" tendencies, on my already very bright/shimmery singing voice.
Chris
Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I did get to finally record with the Black CM1 SE and it was more than awesome on a Baritone singer - I can't imagine any other mic being "better" .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The CM1s are good mics and an excellent value. They might be the best condensers under $200. But let's not get too carried away There's lots of more expensive mics that will usually sound better. The Warblers are a slight upgrade overall. But yeah those CM1s are really killer for the price.
📝 Reply