The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Question Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED

Hi,
I wonder if someone knows the package form or exact model of the Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display LEDs. Some of mine are very deemed and also some others flicker.

I never seen this kind of package and checked at mouser and digikey but could not find.

Let me know if you have a clue.

Thanks a lot in advance

Damien
Attached Thumbnails
Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-15-alesis-quadraverb-q2-q20-green_360_ae7151415d6ea49172e01a5ad87ffded.jpg   Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-backlight-led-quadraverb.jpg  
Old 17th February 2021
Gear Addict

I successfully repaired my QV2's LEDs about two years ago. I found a source for these LEDs, but I doubt the eBay seller is still around. I will try to locate him, but I do have a bag of these LEDs left. This thread is slightly old, but let me know if you're still interested in repairing your QV2. Perhaps I could send a few your way.
Old 17th February 2021
Gear Addict

In a nutshell, the now-obsolete LED bars were made by Lumex--funny story, I actually used to own a Lumex T-shirt, complete with a lasso-wielding, cowboy-hat-wearing cartoon LED character!--part number SSB-LX02SGC-88510.
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks M.Retra for the info. There was this guy on ebay selling those led bars but the price was quite expensive. I'll check at mouser, reichelt or digikey for the right price.
That helps a lot! thanks for your help.
Old 27th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien ➡️
Thanks M.Retra for the info. There was this guy on ebay selling those led bars but the price was quite expensive. I'll check at mouser, reichelt or digikey for the right price.
That helps a lot! thanks for your help.
I probably bought the pack from the eBay guy. Yes, he was high at $20 for a pack of 50 or so, but I think he's the only person with the right stock. I believe I checked Mouser, Arrow, Digikey, Jameco, and most all others to no avail.

I did find this source, as I get their newsletter, but the actual part number is not listed, and $2 for two LEDs is even more expensive!

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.c...?number=G25523
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Retra ➡️
I successfully repaired my QV2's LEDs about two years ago. I found a source for these LEDs, but I doubt the eBay seller is still around. I will try to locate him, but I do have a bag of these LEDs left. This thread is slightly old, but let me know if you're still interested in repairing your QV2. Perhaps I could send a few your way.
I’d be interested if you still have some. How easy is it to repair? And how many LEDs do you need? I haven’t opened my unit yet. I’ve been lighting the screen up with my phone flashlight when I use it but it’s a bit inconvenient.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi Sam,
You need to disassemble all the parts from the front panel. You need to desolder 15 Leds from a very fragile PCB then replace it. I had some trouble with the traces on this pcb. I fixed it by connecting the legs on copper strips (the one you use for guitar RF isolation) stuck on the display backplate.
I'll show you some picture of the process. Maybe this will help to have a better idea about the whole process.
It's a 2 hours job at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-alesis-q2-06.jpg   Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-alesis-q2-05.jpg   Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-alesis-q2-04.jpg   Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-alesis-q2-03.jpg   Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-alesis-q2-02.jpg  

Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-alesis-q2-01.jpg  

Last edited by damien; 4 weeks ago at 10:09 PM.. Reason: pictures url fix
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi Sam,
You need to disassemble all the parts from the front panel. You need to desolder 15 Leds from a very fragile PCB then replace it. I had some trouble with the traces on this pcb. I fixed it by connecting the legs on copper strips (the one you use for guitar RF isolation) stuck on the display backplate.
I'll show you some picture of the process. Maybe this will help to have a better idea about the whole process.
It's a 2 hours job at least.

Hi Damien

Nice of you to reply in detail and include pics. Merci beaucoup! Looks a bit of a daunting task to do but the result looks great. I dream of seeing my own screen lit up like that LOL Where did you buy those LEDs?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsine ➡️
Hi Damien

Nice of you to reply in detail and include pics. Merci beaucoup! Looks a bit of a daunting task to do but the result looks great. I dream of seeing my own screen lit up like that LOL Where did you buy those LEDs?
M.Retra provided me with some leftovers. Not sure if he still has some. You can get some on ebay, there's someone who is selling them, in several colors.
You can contact him https://www.ebay.ca/usr/lmp1492

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-NEW-Alesi...-/402658851586

first you need to check if the leds are all damaged which seems strange to me or if it's just a power issue. Check if you have your 5V coming to the 2 pads of the backlight thin PCB.
If the 5V is there, since leds are in parallel even if 1 is shot the next would be ok. So having the 15 down is somehow impossible.
5V comes from the tabs in the red frame in the attached picture.

A first voltage checkup would be nice before starting ordering parts. The led array is independant from the LCD so it's pretty easy to diagnose. Maybe it's a connector that's loose. To check the 5v you just need to open the top of the unit. You can access the lcd pcb from there. It will take 5 min.

Check the pictures here for more details about what's inside the Q2 http://studiorepair.com/gallery/Alesis/Q2/index.html

It's not hard to disassemble the Q2, it's just screws and plastic tabs with hot glue. You also have to remove the encoder to make the LCD assembly slide to the right side. the only way to push the encoder knob cap is from the inside with a thin long screwdriver, slide it in and push it away. Don't pull it from the outside or you'll break the bevel.

Some leds are avaible here as well it's 2$ for a pair.

Worst case scenario, I bet you can buy some thin 5V led strips and stick it at the bottom of the white pannel LCD case. It's going to be like 5$ and you'll be able to select the color. what an update
Let me know if you need some help.
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Alesis Quadraverb 2 backlight display replacement LED-alesis-q2-07.jpg  

Last edited by damien; 4 weeks ago at 10:10 PM..
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
M.Retra provided me with some leftovers. Not sure if he still has some. You can get some on ebay, there's someone who is selling them, in several colors.
You can contact him https://www.ebay.ca/usr/lmp1492

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-NEW-Alesi...-/402658851586

first you need to check if the leds are all damaged which seems strange to me or if it's just a power issue. Check if you have your 5V coming to the 2 pads of the backlight thin PCB.
If the 5V is there, since leds are in parallel even if 1 is shot the next would be ok. So having the 15 down is somehow impossible.
5V comes from the tabs in the red frame in the attached picture.

A first voltage checkup would be nice before starting ordering parts. The led array is independant from the LCD so it's pretty easy to diagnose. Maybe it's a connector that's loose. To check the 5v you just need to open the top of the unit. You can access the lcd pcb from there. It will take 5 min.

Check the pictures here for more details about what's inside the Q2 http://studiorepair.com/gallery/Alesis/Q2/index.html

It's not hard to disassemble the Q2, it's just screws and plastic tabs with hot glue. You also have to remove the encoder to make the LCD assembly slide to the right side. the only way to push the encoder knob cap is from the inside with a thin long screwdriver, slide it in and push it away. Don't pull it from the outside or you'll break the bevel.

Some leds are avaible here as well it's 2$ for a pair.

Worst case scenario, I bet you can buy some thin 5V led strips and stick it at the bottom of the white pannel LCD case. It's going to be like 5$ and you'll be able to select the color. what an update
Let me know if you need some help.
cheers
Hi Damien,

I truly appreciate your help and advice on that! You’re awesome. I’m in the middle of a big project right now and I’m using the QV2, so I’ll do that afterwards. And nice tip about checking voltage before ordering any LEDs.
Again, I appreciate your help with all the links and everything!
Cheers!
📝 Reply