🎧 15 years
RNC
2 501
2 160a
Old 22nd May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi
I'm rather curious about the Symetrix 565E : i like its design which woudl suit my prupose, and i can get one for quite cheap, but i don't know how it sounds.
Any user opinion/review ?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kragg ➡️
- Samson S-com PLus (cheapest,but has some nice reviews) ; 120$, so twice cheaper than the others : would it be good enough ?

- Art Pro VLA (not convinced about the opto/tube stuff for limiting and punch) ; 200$ used

- Drawmer MX-30 (seem nice, feature-wise, and the brand has a nice reputation, but it is entrey level.. so ?) ; 280 used

- FMR RNC or RNLA : huge hype around them, but isn't it more aimed at accoustic material ? How does it work for adding punch & limiting ? around 200 $

- DBX266XL : cheap, but not much convinced about it... Wouldn't the Drawmer be better (and maybe even the Samson ???) ; 150 $
dbx266xl: write this unit off. any model of behringer composer is far better than this noisy dull pos. a late model 3630 is better than this pos too.
fmr rnc - great unit, does the punch thing pretty well, but the classic unit for adding punch for cheap is a dbx vca-based unit. the sym units are like them, as are better dbx units (not the 266 or even the 166 imho, both not good enough). rnla is a better unit imho but is also less versatile and has a definite tone to it, probably not what you want either.
mx-30 is great, does add punch well. even cheap drawmers are great units, where as cheap dbx units suck ass. don't own the mx-30 (I owned 221 and 241 units in the past) but have used one before and quite liked it, also have read good things (although that's second hand info of course).
pro vla - great unit, does add punch well, tubes are irrelevant as they're just used in the makeup gain stage, it's an optocomp and a damn good one.
a samson compressor? what's that? seriously though, if it's anything like the alto alphacomp that I own (bought for $30) which is a digital compressor (can't tell if the samson is digital or not but that auto timing circuit makes me think it is) with that auto-attack/release thing then it might be useful but not probably what you want. for the same money you can buy a used model of the above examples and it will be a better unit probably.

cheers,
Don
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yes, i got rid of the DBX in my selection.
The FMR has only good reviews, but i think that for my use i am more interested into a design such as the Symetrix or the Dramwer (downward expander > compressor > limiter).
I'll get an FMR when i'll need a per-track device.
Now i am more i need of a limiter to put before my soundcard. I won' push it hard or use it as a creative tool.
Old 31st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
any opinions on the TC Electronics C300? I'm considering buying a few of these for my live rig.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
3630 best Eva

Since its introduction, the 3630 Compressor™ has become the most popular dynamics processor ever made. The reason is easy to understand: it provides two independent full-featured compressor/ limiters in one rack space while offering excellent sonic quality for any application from studio recording to live sound or broadcast. The 3630 offers Ratio, Threshold, Attack and Decay controls to customize its compression response for even the toughest signals. You can also choose between RMS and Peak compression styles, plus Hard and Soft Knee dynamic curves for every application from subtle gain control to in-your-face punch. As an independent dual-channel compressor, the 3630 offers separate controls for two different source signals. Plus, two fully independent gates with threshold and rate controls allow you to easily and efficiently stifle unwanted ambient noise. Other advanced dynamics processing features such as precise signal metering, a sidechain for keying or ducking effects and stereo linkable operation make the 3630 the most powerful compressor in its class.

why don't you just come clean and admit you work for alesis... and yes I agree the 3630 SUCKS A$$ the RNC is a VERY GOOD choice!!

dfegad3630 that how you make it a good compressor LOL!!!!

Bill
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff ➡️
Ashofapheonix, you make a few good points, and I agree with most of them in a VERY general sense. But let's keep this in perspective. You seem to think they are hard cold facts and make assumptions based on some questionable/subjective things.

Whether YOU think there is anything to gain by having a high end compressor if you do not have bases covered is not worth debate for this thread. I did not take your comment out of context, the way I read it. You seem to think that if you are not pro all the way, then don't bother with one piece of great gear. Many pros would not be pro's today if they waited until they had all their bases covered before they bought or used something like a high end compressor. Audio gear and even software are tools, and you can mix and match them as you like or as necessary. Of course, we all would like to use and own the very best quality tools. But not everyone can just start out with having all their bases covered with high end tools and thus must aquire them over time.

And if you are not aware, let me educate you in that while the UAD plugins are indeed better than average, and about as close as anyone has gotten to sounding like the hardware versions, they are not just plugins. They are the software part of a hardware accelerated effects system and with a price tag to match. In addition, something like the RNC or high end compressor can be used prior to A/D conversion where it is often needed and can do the most good. You can't do that with a plugin.

While you may not understand or think that having a pro compressor even with such things as a half ass sound card or cheap audio interface and a Mackie mixer can make a very big positive difference, I know from using one with such gear first hand what a big difference it can make regardless if you have all your bases covered or not. Many people recording these days, including pro's don't always have ALL thier bases covered but can still make very good productive use of a high end compressor.
Many of them dont even own the gear..the studio does!!!
Old 3rd June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o ➡️
I would still like to know if reports re the RNC's bass performance are with or without use of an EQ in the side chain.

Has anyone tried this?
Yes, it makes a huge difference on bass-heavy material.

High pass the signal and send to the side-chain input.

Experiment with the high pass, somewhere around 100 to 150 hz.
Old 5th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For tracking we use the Manley Limiter > For our two track mixdown ~~ a Behringer DEQ2496 to a MasterLink.
📝 Reply