The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap Chinese Dynamic Replacement Capsules?
Old 19th March 2019
Cheap Chinese Dynamic Replacement Capsules?

Greetings. You see them on eBay all the time now ... Chinese-made "replacement" dynamic microphone elements/capsules -- usually for the SM57 or SM58 -- for less than five bucks. Far less expensive than Shure OEM. One even boasts 50-20,000 Hz frequency response.

Any comments from anyone as to how they sound/perform?
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried a 58 style one out of curiosity. It worked but it wasn't great. My cheap mics like the Pyle PDMIC78 and Behringer XM8500 sounded better.
Old 20th March 2019
Can't imagine they're any good. I haven't used them, but I wouldn't doubt that cheap dynamics from Behringer and Pyle would be better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

...where do y'all think the dynamic capsules for cheap Behringer and Pyle microphones are made, exactly?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cheap ones might be made in the same place the good and acceptable ones are made ... and the QC system grades the acceptable and better for whoever is paying... and the bins of reject stock end up ... on ebay ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's an idea for someone. Use these cheap microphone capsules in stomp boxes / percussion devices.

I have a Jupiter Creek stomp box built using a semi hollow / semi solid construction method that uses a cheap microphone capsule rather than a piezo pickup element and it sounds great. The guy making them passed away a number of years ago, so its not stealing the idea anymore and it could be good to have them for sale once again as I really don't like the solid, piezo pickup equiped models that are on the market now as they just don't sound right. The piezo on its own generates a very thin, tinny sound, and it takes some electronic adjustment to get any bass out of them.

The one I have has a carved (drilled) solid bottom with the mic element inserted in foam, and then a hollow chamber topped with a piece of plywood. It produces a great acoustic sound without the need for onboard electronic fiddling.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get the KAM RT-1 capsules, they are awesome. They fit perfectly in a 58 body and the old guitar center digital reference mic body. Probably more too but those are the only ones I’ve tried. They don’t need a transformer, so remove the transformer from a 58 if you change the capsule.

I have 2 actual RT-1 mics and the bodies are very nice (with a grill that doesn’t dent just because someone looked at it wrong like said 58...) and then a bunch of different mics with the replacement capsules.

At some point I want to try to put one in a wireless head but haven’t tried yet. I have the 58 head from my Shure handheld that I’m no longer using (replaced with a heil pr35 head) so maybe I’ll try it.

You can find the capsules on eBay direct from KAM, they’re usually 17.99 each. I’ve emailed back and forth with Kamran, the designer, a few times and he seems like a good guy. He designs mics then has them made in China, so at least the ones I’ve seen aren’t just rebadged mics from a factory.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG ➡️
Here's an idea for someone. Use these cheap microphone capsules in stomp boxes / percussion devices.

I have a Jupiter Creek stomp box built using a semi hollow / semi solid construction method that uses a cheap microphone capsule rather than a piezo pickup element and it sounds great. The guy making them passed away a number of years ago, so its not stealing the idea anymore and it could be good to have them for sale once again as I really don't like the solid, piezo pickup equiped models that are on the market now as they just don't sound right. The piezo on its own generates a very thin, tinny sound, and it takes some electronic adjustment to get any bass out of them.

The one I have has a carved (drilled) solid bottom with the mic element inserted in foam, and then a hollow chamber topped with a piece of plywood. It produces a great acoustic sound without the need for onboard electronic fiddling.
Very cool idea and makes a lot of sense! It sound basically like miking a kick drum.

Piezos need an impedance buffer to sound correct into most inputs. I built the fdeck “quick and dirty” buffer for my electric upright and it works well.
📝 Reply