The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Output Platform Studio Desk
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
For me, any studio furniture that puts the computer monitor "up" on the speaker shelf/equipment rack is a no-go. Unfortunately, that is most of the affordable ones. Understandable, as making one shelf going all the way across simplifies the construction enormously. But looking UP at the screen is a deal-breaker for me.

And remember most computer monitors already have a stand raising them up 4" or so. So put them on top of a shelf that is 3-4 rack spaces high is IMO, a recipe for a stiff neck.

Some of the pricier desks have the Ergonomic equipment racks spread out farther apart and there is space in-between them for the computer monitor to sit on the "desk" level without blocking the gear. And there are a few I have seen where the monitor shelf can actually be set lower than desk level, which would be awesome, IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
For me, any studio furniture that puts the computer monitor "up" on the speaker shelf/equipment rack is a no-go. Unfortunately, that is most of the affordable ones. Understandable, as making one shelf going all the way across simplifies the construction enormously. But looking UP at the screen is a deal-breaker for me.
Agree this is the most annoying design choice Output made with this desk. Head angle is more acute than I’d like. Having a chair that’s raised all the way up helps. Placing monitor at front edge of top shelf, while drawing monitor closer makes most of the surface area unusable. Pulling the keyboard tray out also makes the distance to monitor way too far away to be able to decipher any detail.

Have all their furniture in my ‘work from home’ space along with Frontiers and it all looks fabulous. Output are masters of the aesthetic in my mind.

Going back to work in July anyway, lol.

Maybe the MkII.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees ➡️
Agree this is the most annoying design choice Output made with this desk. Head angle is more acute than I’d like.
I had a brainstorm that I could use a jigsaw to cut a "notch" in the upper platform in the center rack, so that the 'foot' of the iMac went lower than the shelf. Thus the body of the computer would be resting directly on the shelf.

there might even be space for a couple of shallow rack units in the center.

I actually went so far as to talk to someone at Platform and he assured me that aesthetics aside, such a cut-out would not affect the structural integrity of the desk.

But when I did the math, that only got me 3" (the height of the "foot". And the iMac has another 3" of 'aluminum' before the screen begins.

In my current setup, even with the computer sitting on the desk surface, I find I am still somewhat 'looking up' at items near the top of the screen, such as the inserts in the Mix Window.

At my "work" studio, we have a big console, so the the computer on a cart off to the side and the screen is actually in a "look-down" position.

Quote:
Having a chair that’s raised all the way up helps.
I think I am too short. I did some testing, placing the monitor on top of a 3 space rack to see what it felt like, and when I raised the chair to compensate my legs were dangling.

Quote:
Going back to work in July anyway, lol.
I am in the opposite situation. By July, I hope to start having clients coming over again.

Quote:
it all looks fabulous. Output are masters of the aesthetic in my mind.
I agree their stuff looks great. I am still considering their "sidecar" unit, which has some very clever features.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

And remember most computer monitors already have a stand raising them up 4" or so. So put them on top of a shelf that is 3-4 rack spaces high is IMO, a recipe for a stiff neck.

Some of the pricier desks have the Ergonomic equipment racks spread out farther apart and there is space in-between them for the computer monitor to sit on the "desk" level without blocking the gear. And there are a few I have seen where the monitor shelf can actually be set lower than desk level, which would be awesome, IMO.
The top shelf is at a height of 3 feet. In terms of ergonomics that's quite ideal. Looking down at a computer screen is worse for you in the long run.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter ➡️
The top shelf is at a height of 3 feet.
Add in the stand and the metal surround of the case, and the bottom viewable area of my screen starts 6 1/2" higher than the surface on which the computer is placed. That brings us to 42". For the bottom of the screen! The top of the screen would then be at 55".

Quote:
In terms of ergonomics that's quite ideal.
My neck disagrees with your concept of what is "ideal". So do most doctors who have studied this

Quote:
Studies have shown that the best position for a computer monitor is for the center of the screen to be at around 17.5 degrees below eye level. Try to align your eyes with the top of the viewing area of the screen, and this should put the center about right geometrically.
Quote:
Looking down at a computer screen is worse for you in the long run.
Not for me. If you enjoy looking UP all day, that's fine, for you.

My computer, which is a 27" iMac, is actually a little on the "high side" for this 17.5 degree ideal, even when set flat on the main surface of the desk. I have seen a few people put their laptop on an apple-box or a couple of phone books. I don't know anyone who does that with an iMac.

Only musicians who buy "studio" desks do this and the only reason they even have such a shelf is to make spaces for the rack gear. And secondarily to plop the speakers up there.

The reason that the more affordable desks all have this shelf where they expect you to place the computer screen is not because anyone thinks it is "better" for your spine! It is because it is much simpler construction and assembly than something where the equipment racks are on the sides only.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of having my most-used rack gear on top instead below the desk, it's the main attraction of such studio desks, but I am unwilling to pay the price of having the bottom of my computer screen at eye level.

It's a deal-breaker, plain and simple. For me.
Attached Thumbnails
Output Platform Studio Desk-one.jpg  

Last edited by joeq; 2 days ago at 09:04 PM..
Old 14 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:

Understandable.

I mean, clearly, Output desk is one of the most affordable ones here in the global market. That makes sense that people were discussing other brands including Omnirax and Wavebone.
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyIsabella ➡️
Understandable.

I mean, clearly, Output desk is one of the most affordable ones here in the global market. That makes sense that people were discussing other brands including Omnirax and Wavebone.
I do think it is a nice unit, design-wise. The price is very attractive as well.

If I was taller, I might have gone for it.
📝 Reply