The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telephone Recordings
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Telephone Recordings

Hey Y'all...I have been commissioned to record some 'comedian' making calls to 'unsuspecting' people, and the 'artist' wants to print the whole process to CD for sale to radio stations (original, huh?)

Anyway, y'all got any tips for recording the voices coming FROM the phone set? I recommended he use two people live in the studio and let me EQ one voice to telephone curve, but nooooo!

Any suggestions are appreciated mucho.

Ken

PS - the calls will be made using his cell phone, cause I'll be damned before my caller ID pops up on someone else's line for something like this... (and besides, aren't comedy records dead by now?
Old 25th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Re: Telephone Recordings

Here's what you should do - check out the Markertek catalog for telephone interfaces (or do a Google groups search in rec.audio.pro, since I remember this subject coming up there. It seems that Getner is a company that makes one, but the RAP guys should know more than I remember.

Then order call blocking for your studio line (or even add a line specifically for the project) charging the client of course so that the interface works correctly. Then try to survive the sessions...
Old 25th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
sounds like crank yankers.

it would be easier to do with a landline phone... there are some sort of suction cup mic that people sell you mic a phone.

there is the consent thing on the other end for him to consider.

also, if you could do a 3 way call kinda thing and mic a phone with it on mute.

you can always block your phone number.
Old 25th October 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Just throw a 600 ohm 1:1 transformer across the two (green & red) phone wires (primary side) and wire the secondary side to your console or line input... And there you go.

Or you can get fancy and get a Telos or Gentner "phoner" setup...

Other companies make "phoner' devices. Do a search like Dave mentioned.

I hope this helped.
Old 25th October 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
In addition to what's already been said, hitting *67 before the call will block your number from a caller ID box and it doesn't cost you a dime. Just remember to hit that before each call.
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info...its amazing what I'll take on just to keep the doors open... ...
Old 25th October 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I've been there. It's better then working at Blockbuster or pumping gas. Well, at least most of the time.
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Get a telephone hybrid interface (borrow one from a local radio station?), that way you can keep the callers separated on different tracks and the person in your studio can use headphones and a normal microphone.

/Mats
Old 16th February 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Phone????

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, a phone hybrid will do the trick. Don't let him use his cell. They sound like **** and you can't be sure the call's not gonna get cut off. Cell phones are unrealiable. That's the first thing any radio host will ask a person he's about to talk to over the phone. Cells suck.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JK Audio That2 Coupler. Cheap. Works great. (Under 200)

I've seen them at Sweetwater and BSW.
Old 17th February 2007 | Show parent
js1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you have to use a real phone, you have a lot of good suggestions. But, if you can convince him to use a regular mic after all, find a phone impulse from the web (I think I got mine from Noisevault). Plug it into Altiverb/SIR and run the audio through that. A much better simulation than using EQ.

Also helps if you cut it down to 10 bits...

js
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"To sell to radio stations." Yeah, sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan ➑️
Thanks for the info...its amazing what I'll take on just to keep the doors open... ...

Hey Ken,

I wouldnt feel bad about that at all, plus its always good to take on something youve never done before!!thumbsup
Old 19th February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow...a 5 year old thread...

FWIW this never really went anywhere...we used a couple of cheapo suction mics on the 'talent's' cell phone...that part worked

The thing that didn't work was the 'talent' didn't really have any...the old "Prince Albert in a can" gag did kinda die sometime ago...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…