Quantcast
What’s the truth about ilok and software vendor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What’s the truth about ilok and software vendor
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What’s the truth about ilok and software vendor

What are the reason/s a software vendor would need to link to your ilok in anyway?
The information on the ilok website says the vendor can’t change anything ...but in the next sentence says they can...or I’m reading it wrong. If anyone knows about any possible issue/s please comment . Softube for instance ...I added the what a software vendor can and can’t do on ilok s website but I’m not clear as mentioned ...
If I were to unlink the vendor from my ilok after getting a free plugin do you think the plugin would no longer function ?
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
What’s the truth about ilok and software vendor-a22ce09b-2d11-4495-862e-5078da7f8947.jpg  

Last edited by NoPro; 7th January 2019 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Add pic
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The reason is so they can submit the license key to your account. If you purchased an upgrade then it would be to verify you are eligible for the upgrade, and give you the new license key.

If you already have the license key then you should be able to unlink.
Old 7th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
The reason is so they can submit the license key to your account. If you purchased an upgrade then it would be to verify you are eligible for the upgrade, and give you the new license key.

If you already have the license key then you should be able to unlink.
Depends on the vendor and the license. ILok used to run that way. You'd activate a plugin through the site and after that you could disconnect from the internet and the plugin would continue to run so long as you didn't make any changes to the daw/plugins.

That changed with the upgrade they did a year of so ago. Found out the hard way banging my friggin head against the wall. When they did the last upgrade, the computer must be on line and when you open the plugins it accesses the ILok site to check and see if the license is valid each time you use it.

Least that's how its worked for me since that last upgrade. If I loose connectivity when opening the DAW and select a plugin that has an ILok account the plugin wont open. I have several Eventide Plugins which free and were dongless.

I don't run any software that requires an ILok USB key however so I'm not 100% sure if they can run without linking to the account. I've read you cant disable your network card and have the licenses recognized on an ongoing basis but I haven't come across anyone who knew what they were doing to try it like I did the Dongeless plugins with a License.
Old 7th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You most certainly can run software with your Ilok without it being connected to the internet. I do it with Pro Tools all the time. You would only need to let the Pace website see your Ilok if you have Zero Downtime with TLC activated, and then only once every 90 days.
📝 Reply