The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ART TransY FET Compressor
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear
ART TransY FET Compressor

Haven't seen a thread about this yet, and to be honest I'm not even sure if this product has shipped yet.
From the manufacturer:

TransY – Two Channel Discrete Transistor Fet Based Compressor/Limiter – ART Pro Audio

Overview
The TransY compressor/limiter features a discrete, low noise transistor audio path using a Field Effect Transistor for level control producing incredible detail. The unique feed forward detector topology and the servo FET drive circuitry provide a new level of flexibility and tone. The unit can be set to control audio levels from smooth and unobtrusive to full-blown deep sustain.

From the Active balanced input to the transformer-coupled output, the TransY abounds with easily adjustable reliable, repeatable functions due to the attention to detail in the design. The TransY adapts to a multitude of applications with its’ +4/-10 level switch. A wide range of adjustments are available through the front panel controls always producing a musical result. Even the universal power supply adapts to line voltages allowing you to tour the world or connect to portable power sources without interruption.

Apply the TransY as your secret weapon from playing out live to recording and mastering. The TransY can handle whatever you throw at it producing a professional result. Master your unique sound with the TransY.

I think what interests me here in particular is that the accompanying preamps (TransX) have been build with custom jensen transformers, so maybe this product might have a usable output transfo/be alright?
ART gets some love, but also a lot of hate. Given that a lot of people have found the VLA II to be usable, I'm curious if this comp ends up gaining good favor. Putting 4 1176-esque comps in my rig for under 1K is very appealing. The lindell 500 series FET comp isn't overly loved, but this is the only other thing is that ballpark that's both trying to do the 1176 thing for that cheap.

Has anyone tried the TransY yet?
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I think you are not going to find output transformers on this unit. If ART has transformers in a device, they advertise that fact. This is one of a new generation of ART products, so it is hard to predict how well it will perform and how it stacks up to other FET limiters in performance. You pay your money and you take your chance on this product. I wouldn’t buy two, I’d try one first.
Old 14th November 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
I think you are not going to find output transformers on this unit. If ART has transformers in a device, they advertise that fact. This is one of a new generation of ART products, so it is hard to predict how well it will perform and how it stacks up to other FET limiters in performance. You pay your money and you take your chance on this product. I wouldn’t buy two, I’d try one first.
From the website/product description

Custom Output Transformer reduces ground noise and maintains level for balance/unbalanced connections

Which indicates they're not nice transfos, but you could probably put something nicer in?

Also I'm not rushing out to buy two, I was really just speculating on the potential *if* this is a good product.
I made the thread to see if anyone has tried them, as stated I don't even know if they've shipped yet as most places online stores still list as pre-order.
Old 14th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahBrown ➡️
From the website/product description

Custom Output Transformer reduces ground noise and maintains level for balance/unbalanced connections

Which indicates they're not nice transfos, but you could probably put something nicer in?
I went to the website, thinking that you were quoting something related to the new preamp, not the compressor. And...
You are absolutely correct. I was looking at a sales blurb, not the website.
It has an output transformer, which is somewhat astounding at this price point. From my experience with ART gear, I doubt that the transformer is junk. It probably isn’t a “famous company” transformer, but it is likely to be reasonable quality.
And yes, if you are a DYI person, replacing a transformer is much less difficult than modifying a non-transformer circuit to accommodate a transformer. In that one-rack-space box, you might be squeezed for space in swapping in something better.
Damn you! I’m starting to be curious about this box.
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear
Yeah, it seems as though they are pushing the pre-amp more than this box, but I'm very curious! Fair assessment about the 1RU having a tough time to accommodate a big clunky transformer it wasn't designed to fit. We'll see overall! Somebody posted a picture of the inside of the TransX pres, and there were no ICs, and some decent looking components (and of course, the custom Jensen transformers).

I think they just aren't available yet, as Long and Mcquade doesn't even have them in stock (chain music store associated with the parent company, for the non-canadians). My interest is definitely piqued though!
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Something I’ve thought about in regards to this unit is if a 500 series compressor can get close enough to an 1176, then a 1u chassis can fit two. UK sound fit their fet compressor in a 1u rack and it occupys only one half of it. I’m assuming that means a stereo version will also come out from UK sound in the future in the same 1u chassis.

I don’t know if the transY is supposed to be an 1176 style compressor, but I’m keeping an open mind that it could sound really great and be affordable. I’m especially interested in it not just for these two reasons but also the fact I’m no pro and just having fun.

It can’t hurt to order it and send it back if it doesn’t have the right vibe/sound. At least that’s what I’m thinking. Haven’t put an order in yet though
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Instead of opening a new thread, I bump this one. Is there somebody that already tried it and can share his impressions?
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
1200 views on this thread alone tells me people are interested in this product.

ART, are you there? Send us some demos!

I'd love to acquire some ART gear, as it's very competitively priced in Canada, and our dollar is quite weak right now.
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I went and bought these art units just to satisfy my curiosity. L&M here in Canada has a really great return policy, so I figured to have a go with them.

I did a sort of shootout, it's posted here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l#post13951746
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

I have a demo unit here in my hands currently that i am about to ship out to a customer to demo. I have to say, upon my listening test, for the price.... Not bad at all...
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Bumping this thread to see if anybody has any experience with this device yet. Is it 1176 like?
Old 24th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➡️
Bumping this thread to see if anybody has any experience with this device yet. Is it 1176 like?
I'm really interested in this compressor too.

2 channels of FET compression in 1u would be fantastic if this thing is good.

Surprised there isn't more info on it yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk ➡️

It kills me that some seem to think IF it has a FET somewhere it will sound like a 1176..
Having a FET means very little..to me anyway..
Check it out and see..

Last edited by nosebleedaudio; 24th September 2019 at 12:43 PM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio ➡️
It kills me that some seem to think IF it has a FET somewhere it will sound like a 1176..
Having a FET means very little..to me anyway..
Check it out and see..
Well it's unlikely to sound like an optical or a vca is it?

Unless you think the type of compressor has absolutely no effect on the sound it produces?

The thread is pretty thin, not much to catch up on so you could see that no one has said it will sound like a 1176.

What you have is a handful of people asking if anyone has used it and what it's like?

Clearly you have no idea and haven't come across one just like none of us have.

We would love to "check it out and see." That's why we've contributed to this thread to reach out to those who have them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well it's unlikely to sound like an optical or a vca is it?

Unless you think the type of compressor has absolutely no effect on the sound it produces?

The thread is pretty thin, not much to catch up on so you could see that no one has said it will sound like a 1176.

What you have is a handful of people asking if anyone has used it and what it's like?

Clearly you have no idea and haven't come across one just like none of us have.

We would love to "check it out and see." That's why we've contributed to this thread to reach out to those who have them.
I can think of a least 20 circuits that use a FET that does NOT sound anything like a 1176...
Do you think the API 525 & 1176 sound the same?

Last edited by nosebleedaudio; 24th September 2019 at 11:58 PM..
Old 25th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No one said the art will sound like an 1176. There was an IF in a few posts, but merely folks pondering out loud.

As we were...pondering about this unit.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Nut

Has anyone tried this yet. I’m looking for a good value stereo comp and this looks interesting.
Old 30th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoTheMu ➡️
Has anyone tried this yet. I’m looking for a good value stereo comp and this looks interesting.
I was not smitten but YMMV. If it's any help, you can check my recordings (scroll up for link).
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Toft DC2 has 2 Ch FET comp, Britishhh sound, great low end, hard to find but's a good choice...

Im curious about this ART FET .
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear
The Toft seems to be unobtanium. What was the price on it?

Kind of getting out of the low end but the Warm Audio Bus Comp VCA looks interesting. It's yet anothet one I don't hear much about.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️

Kind of getting out of the low end but the Warm Audio Bus Comp VCA looks interesting. It's yet anothet one I don't hear much about.
The Warm Audio bus compressor is really nice. I have one. The transformers button really fattens things up
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme ➡️
The Warm Audio bus compressor is really nice. I have one. The transformers button really fattens things up
Well that's a slutty endorsement.

Do you use it on the drum bus or the whole mix?

I've been using the Aphex Dominator II for a long time now and in spite of what most people seem to say it works pretty well on a full mix if one is super careful with it.

I'm pretty happy with the Aphex especially considering what I payed for it (got it used) but definitely wondering about the Warm Bus because it looks interesting and it doesn't go for thousands of dollars.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well that's a slutty endorsement.

Do you use it on the drum bus or the whole mix?

I've been using the Aphex Dominator II for a long time now and in spite of what most people seem to say it works pretty well on a full mix if one is super careful with it.

I'm pretty happy with the Aphex especially considering what I payed for it (got it used) but definitely wondering about the Warm Bus because it looks interesting and it doesn't go for thousands of dollars.
I use it on the whole mix bus because I have plenty of other gear. But if I was in a position to mix ITB, I wouldn't hesitate to use it to bounce stems, individual vst instruments, etc. I'm really impressed with the unit.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme ➡️
I'm really impressed with the unit.
Thanks for the info... it's definitely added to the maybe list now.
Old 29th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes...to me it is..
Is a great piece of gear....faster, add a nice 3rd harmonic distortion and good noticiable rounded low end.
You have to read the manual and learn how it works..
This is not a plug and play comp if you use it in stereo mode.
I got mine 400usd used and I will keep it until the apocalypse
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
So... anyone tried this on their 2bus? If so, thoughts? Sounds like it adds a little bit of top end sheen?
Old 12th January 2021
Here for the gear

ART TransY

Anyone using the ART TransY on drum bus?

Looking for an FET compressor, would prefer 1u so this or the Drawmer 1978 (prob s/h) are the options and around the right price I want to spend without getting 'distressed'.
Old 21st January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm looking at this for possible drum bus duties too. Would love to know if anyone's tried it for this and what the results were.
Old 15th February 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Btw to correct an earlier assumption in this thread, the transformer isn't crap, it's actually an Altran, and apparently they make nice transformers found in all sorts of good gear.
I keep thinking about picking one of these up, but where are all the people using them? I've read a few reviews that say they're great, but that's it. Might have to take the plunge and then report back in here...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Bump. Anyone using a TransY?
📝 Reply