The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ART TransY FET Compressor
Old 4 weeks ago

Found this recent demo. I think I like it on drums. I might have to pick one up.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️

Found this recent demo. I think I like it on drums. I might have to pick one up.
That drumming isn’t doing it any favors but it still sounds pretty damn good. I think I’m going to grab one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➡️
That drumming isn’t doing it any favors but it still sounds pretty damn good. I think I’m going to grab one.
Yeah that drumming...
I'm going to pick one up. It has a unique place in the market in that it has FET compression with OPTs for under $500 and I believe there's little else that can compare. I've been wanting a grabby, aggressive FET comp for years and other recently purchased ART products have worked out well so I'll give benefit of doubt.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➡️
...and the snare sounds totally out of phase and thin.

Still, pretty grabby/spanky.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Cool sounding color box. Definitely not something I'd be using on 2bus (well.. maybe? I'd have to experiment with it), but on a drum bus it could be cool. Sounds nice on bass too. I'll pick one up at some point this year I think.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've been getting the hang of this thing and comparing it to other compressors.

It's solid! It does things my other comps don't, so I think I'm going to keep it around.

It is less punchy than my 1176-inspired comps (BAC500, modded Lindell 17xsII), more of a dark, smooth squish. I'm guessing this is due to a softer knee and the sound of the transformers used. It pushes things back rather than pulling them forward the way a lot of fet comps do. The de-esser knob takes this to another level as well, and seems to work nicely to mellow out cymbal hash without killing all the air.

The low ratios are a nice addition for vocals and getting more swampy sounds. I think it could do a quite convincing tape emulation at the right settings.

It would be nice to have a sidechain HPF, and a mix knob would be a bonus....Considering the price, I guess I can't complain too much!
Old 2 days ago
Now that I've been shopping for this it's been sold out everywhere. Figures.
📝 Reply