The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What was your earliest audio memory?
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i just recently found a picture of me when i was 1 or 2 banging a toy drum on my birthday. someone really messed up with that present... got three drum sets and too many cymbals now.

i also remember an old mixer that my dads business partner built was given to me when i was tiny. i used to pretend it was controls to a space ship. it was probably small but to me it was HUGE. i didnt have anything to work with it but my dad always told me how it could "mix different sounds together." that was so magical to me!

i would record M*A*S*H off the tv to a reel to reel all the time. the flute sound i loved.

the beatles were the first band i remember. but music was and is a big thing in my family.

the first album given to me for a bday was thriller when i was 5.
i wore it out. the the first tape i got was run dmc. at one point i kept seeing some run dmc video on V66 and there must have been some graffiti in it cause i wrote run dmc and my name in crayon all over my walls. oops.
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I remember my mom playing records. Lots of Broadway musical stuff.

The record I remember earliest that really got my attention was a 45 of Les Paul and Mary Ford playing "How High the Moon." I was probably about 3.

That would have been 1957.

man! Seems like only yesterday!!
Old 11th October 2004
Founder

I nagged my folks to give me a Beatles haircut in the mid 60's - I liked the Monkeys back then too too. I was 5 in 1965.

Later aged about 14 I saw the movie The Conversation (with actor Gene Hackman) it was brilliant, an audio related thriller... But I was a little too young to see it... It gave me nightmares for quite a while after...
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Oh yeah! i went through the Monkees phase, but Paul Revere and the Raiders on "Where the Action Is" were cooler!

I remember walking into the junior high gym for a dance one Friday night (the first one I'd been to) and here's a band in the corner with a big strobe light playing Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes "Journey to the Center of the Mind."

After that, I was hooked BIG TIME!

Mike
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Later aged about 14 I saw the movie The Conversation (with actor Gene Hackman) it was brilliant, an audio related thriller... But I was a little too young to see it... It gave me nightmares for quite a while after...
Yeah, I loved that too. (I was also 5 in 1965 but it was much later when I saw it) Something so exciting about a man sitting in a room surrounded by electronic equipment that has always stuck with me.

My uncle was a ham radio nut too, same thing, he was out in his little shed crammed with gear for hours on end. It was magical to me hearing these voices coming in from all over the world. I remember in boy scouts, the whole gang went to see his shed in action, I had no idea where we were going, so I was the big man on campus that day.
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Re: What was your earliest audio memory?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I started thinking about it today while driving. What was the first audio related thing you can remember doing? And how old were you at the time?

Watching Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show.
Old 12th October 2004
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
My dad played piano and sang, old Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino stuff. I sat down and played Jingle Bells on piano at around 5 or 6 and they put me in lessons. I took for a while, did the recitals, all that.

But...some of the most powerful moments I recall though, were buying 45's in the very late 70's to early 80's. John Lennon's "Just Like Starting Over" (B side was "Watching the Wheels Go 'Round) really turned me on to more haunting type stuff. My favorite 45's were Queen "Another One Bites the Dust" with the "Don't Try Suicide" B side...again darker type stuff...and some Stones...hell even Kool and the Gang.

Then I found Sgt. Pepper's and things really started to change.

But I do remember being this little 8 or 9 year old kid and just loving the "wierd" stuff more and more...

...I do miss spinning records. I don't own one now I'm sad to say. It was a different listening experience, it took a little time to unwrap it and place the needle on it (sometimes we had to tape dimes on the arm for light scratches and quarters for heavy scratches), then flip it over for side B, you invested time in listening to records back then. Nowadays CD's are so much more background music compared to vinyl experiences.

War
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Drumming on the cover of the "Outlandos D'amour" LP from the Police with two markers at age 4
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Nobody's gonna believe me for saying this, but my earliest aural memory was when I was about 6-to-8 months old, and my family went to see "Star Wars" in the theatre in late 1977. Obviously I don't remember much, but I'm totally friggin' positive that I remember seeing the first appearance of Darth Vadar along that foggy corridor at the beginning, and hearing the heavy breathing, not to mention the even heavier John Williams score barrelling down on me. Naturally, I also remember hearing my dad in the audience doing obnoxious, faux-scary "oooo"s and "ahhh"s when Vadar first appeared, like we kids weren't scared enough already. My dad, what a cut-up . . .
Old 13th October 2004
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Man, it's way cool and inspiring to hear and read all this stuff...keep it coming...
Old 13th October 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well I was definitely <5yo and my uncle had an open reel recorder with one of those green tubes in it that would modulate when a signal hit it. I would run around with a mic and record my family whenever we would visit. I don't remember anyone showing me how to use it, but somehow I remember knowing exactly what to do. Weird, but a vivid memory from a long while ago.

Also at <5yo, my grandparents had a Wurlitzer organ. It had a feature called Spectra Tone (which sent the signal to a rotating speaker arm in the back of the cabinet). I was fascinated with the sound this made and I remember taking off the back of the organ and marvelling at this contraption spinning around. Again, a weird memory but definitely one that set me on a certain path.

Jim
Old 13th October 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My absolute earliest music memories were first Lucy in the sky w/ diamonds, and maybe a year later the keyboard intro to Worlds apart. All on my clock radio on probably the FM band. Was just a little kid at the time, but i've been scarred for life since.

Oddly, i didn't hear LSD again till i was maybe 13, and i can say i never heard the journey song again until i was probably 18. It was creepy in both cases.

My parents were Who fans, for those that would say i was never exposed to anything cool.

I did have a few kiddie records i remember, but they are long since gone. Jack and the beanstalk. The beanstalk and jack. Then there was peter and the wolf. And some other cool stuff that is possibly floating around somewhere. Doctor john was on some record. And billy joel i think (some kitties don't care). And alvin doing the gambler and "mommas don't let your babies grow up to be coyboys (chipmunks)."

Worlds apart though. The intro still gives me (good) chills I was probably 5 at the time, and journey was still cool enough to be on the radio every night at about the same time for a week or two. None of the words sunk it, but it was better than "get me in the guy ya guyya." A 50 word vocabulary didn't get you very far Like i knew who journey or the beatles were.... 1981 or 82.

I do remember stuff from the 1976 4th of july celebration though. Every once in a while, something will trigger memory of an event that happened that night. Amazes my parents, who were at the time still getting over having had their first kid a week earlier. Still have a latent nightmare involving loud noises in small packages, that only a pyschiatrist and a few 1000 dollars could unravel.
Old 13th October 2004
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
At the age of 2 or 3, I was electrocuted under my mom's piano while she was playing Beethoven's Moonlight sonata. Stuck my drool soaked, highly conductive fingers in an uncovered power outlet. Wha hoo! The sound is permanently burned into a tangled mat of nerve cells deep in my brain.

Other big musical events included Switched on Bach at 6, The Doors at 7, Stevie Wonder at 9, Inagaddadavida at 10, Zeppelin at 11, Yes at 13, Sex Pistols at 15, Miles Davis at 18. And on...

To suggest there's a correlation between these events and the fact that I've spent my entire life in music, instruments and electronics would imply that toddlers are as easily influenced as drug soaked teenagers. Who knew?

-Joe

"From the moment I reached out to hold, I felt a sound,
And what touches our soul slowly moves as touch rebounds."
- From "Soundchaser", by Yes.
Old 13th October 2004
Founder

I made a "banjo" with rubber bands and an empty cigar box.
Old 13th October 2004
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I don't so much remember this, but came across the tape a few years ago. My grandmother had just gotten a portable cassette recorder, I was about 4 years old, and my little sister was just learning to talk. In various parts throughout the tape, I would apparently hit record, and say "ree-cord!" and we'd make some noises, or sing, and then I would say "let's hear what we just did!"

It crazy to think that 18 years later, I started it professionally, and survived another 12 years (so far) in the industry....
Old 14th October 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by LTA
I did have a few kiddie records i remember, but they are long since gone. Jack and the beanstalk. The beanstalk and jack. Then there was peter and the wolf.
Yeah, I've still got my Peter and the wolf and Pinnochio. My mother used to buy us (I'm one of 4) all a record and a book (besides what we really wanted) every Xmas to get us into stuff. It worked, we all ended up being big record buyers. In the mid seventies my two brothers and I all shared the same room, each one of us had our own stereo and record collection next to our bed and i can still hear my mother banging on the door and shouting "TURN IT DOWN" 3-4 times a night.

That'll teach her!
Old 14th October 2004
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
My father was into Hi-Fi (pre stereo) circa 1958-60. He built a Harmon Kardon power amp and a speaker enclosure with Altec Lansing 15" and tweeter/crossover. He had a Marantz preamp (9c?), Scott tuner (they were something in those days) and an Ampex reel to reel. He played a lot of classical and jazz music on it. I was about 3 or 4. But really it was visiting his cousin Phil who played tenor sax. He set up his mondo rell tape machine and mic and recorded us talking nd listening to music while he played tenor. I was no older than four. Tape recorders were always around as was musc. My Dad's first cousin was jazz musician Charles Mingus so that music was always around. I started playing with recorders when I was around 9. Started playing guitar by 13.

So specifically my earliest audio related memory is of my father assembling the Harmon Kardon in the garage. I was 3, maybe earlier. Tubes, soldering gun, wires and instructions. I remember being kept out of the area while he worked. That's the best I can recall this life time.heh
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My first audio memory is my dad playing his strat at our home when I was maybe about 3 or 4 years old. He'd let me strum the strings and he'd fret everything.

He'd play along with some ABBA, Bo Diddley, Johnny Rivers, Buddy Holly, David Bowie, Lovin Spoonfull, The Animals, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.

Some nights some friends would come over and they'd turn down the lights 'send me to bed' and play till early in the morning.

wow.
... all the memories that brings up ...
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by henryrobinett
My father was into Hi-Fi (pre stereo) circa 1958-60. He built a Harmon Kardon power amp and a speaker enclosure with Altec Lansing 15" and tweeter/crossover. He had a Marantz preamp (9c?), Scott tuner (they were something in those days) and an Ampex reel to reel. He played a lot of classical and jazz music on it. I was about 3 or 4. But really it was visiting his cousin Phil who played tenor sax. He set up his mondo rell tape machine and mic and recorded us talking nd listening to music while he played tenor. I was no older than four. Tape recorders were always around as was musc. My Dad's first cousin was jazz musician Charles Mingus so that music was always around. I started playing with recorders when I was around 9. Started playing guitar by 13.

So specifically my earliest audio related memory is of my father assembling the Harmon Kardon in the garage. I was 3, maybe earlier. Tubes, soldering gun, wires and instructions. I remember being kept out of the area while he worked. That's the best I can recall this life time.heh
Very cool.

There's a shop in Milford, CT that repairs and sell old high end hi-fi; lots of Scott and Fisher stuff.

Here's the url

http://homepage.mac.com/urbanradio/V...tage.HiFi.html
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
one of my first audio memories is when visiting my dad's business and turning over empty paint cans for nice diy drums I was 3 at the time.

that's an audio memory that doesn't have much to do with music, but one of the first musical memories is asking my mom to help me send in a request to a radio show and listening to the tune with my ear pushed to the grille. age 4.

first self created 'musical' experience was also at the age of four when I started piano lessons.

the first song I remember having just been released was toto's africa. I don't quite know why, because I never thought it was that magnificent, but I still remember it very vividly. I was 5 then.

spacey
πŸ“ Reply