The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RODE NT1-A Not Satisfied.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I made my first "real" record with NT1-A, used in lead and backing vocs, acoustic&electric guitars. IIRC even percussions. And everything through M-Audio FW1814 preamp.. This was about 11 years ago. I remember how I liked the clarity, presence and how it picked up everything with such precision. And at the same time I thought there was some kind of cloud hanging all over the sound stage. And those esses, de-essing etc.. And everything got made in our rehearsal room under a pub.. I haven't used the mic in ages and I guess those flaws and characters are still there, even when using a different pre. But it's better than a builtin mic in my laptop etc, it's a good workhorse for demoing stuff and home usage. Hope so
Old 8th November 2017
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guess what..? The mic I had earlier (circa 10 years ago) was NT1000...
Old 8th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish ➡️
Guess what..? The mic I had earlier (circa 10 years ago) was NT1000...
Thanks for the correction. Rode makes some very good microphones. So far, the only one I’ve used that I don’t like is the NT1a. I’ve never tried the NT1000.
Old 10th November 2017
Here for the gear

blue baby bottle

hey guys, so I just got the blue baby bottle mic and i've been playing around with it and so far i really like the mid range boost/presence and body sound for my vocals for rapping. but i am not digging the sound when i sing melodies as it sounds too dark for my taste... whereas RODE NT-1A actually sounds better for singing (esp with autotune)... Currently running both mics thru focusrite solo...

What do yall think about me keeping both mics and just using both mics for different purposes? O_O

Or maybe I should try running the blue baby bottle with a better audio interface? If so what would be a good combo?

Or maybe I should get a mic that has a tone in between the "darkness" of blue baby bottle and "brightness" of RODE NT-1A.

Sorry... I'm all over the place! Can't wait to get back into writing and recording lol
Old 10th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by albabumba ➡️
hey guys, so I just got the blue baby bottle mic and i've been playing around with it and so far i really like the mid range boost/presence and body sound for my vocals for rapping. but i am not digging the sound when i sing melodies as it sounds too dark for my taste... whereas RODE NT-1A actually sounds better for singing (esp with autotune)... Currently running both mics thru focusrite solo...

What do yall think about me keeping both mics and just using both mics for different purposes? O_O

Or maybe I should try running the blue baby bottle with a better audio interface? If so what would be a good combo?

Or maybe I should get a mic that has a tone in between the "darkness" of blue baby bottle and "brightness" of RODE NT-1A.

Sorry... I'm all over the place! Can't wait to get back into writing and recording lol
This IS Gearslutz, so of course you should keep both!
Also, you might see what EQ it takes to brighten up the Bottle to match the Rode.
I can take a fairly dark ribbon, apply [email protected], add [email protected] 5khz on a shelf and like it better than an NT1a. There is something spitty and nasty about the brightness of the NT1a that is not just EQ.
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's aan idea for you:
Put both mics up across from each other, slightly less than shoulders apart.
Put them slightly off axis.
Sing right through them.
Mix and match to taste (make one of them the main and bring the other one up to compensate).

As for the NT-1A, try using it up close but off axis,
Turn it a TINY bit at a time to find a sweet spot but get close for proximity effect.
Again, don't sing directly into the capsule.

For the Baby Bottle, move it further away to reduce proximity effect.

A little bit of experimenting, thinking outside of the box, might just be magical.
If nothing else, you will learn.

Good luck.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
This IS Gearslutz, so of course you should keep both!
Also, you might see what EQ it takes to brighten up the Bottle to match the Rode.
I can take a fairly dark ribbon, apply [email protected], add [email protected] 5khz on a shelf and like it better than an NT1a. There is something spitty and nasty about the brightness of the NT1a that is not just EQ.
There definitely is. Quite a few Rode mics are known for harsh upper mids. About the only affordable mics I've liked from them and heard in person were the NT5. The Classic II, NT1000, and to some degree the K2 and newer NT2A are not as maligned.

The sound of the NT1A was bad enough that I wouldn't even pay money for it. It sounded worse than your average low end Audio Technica.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
To correct/clarify some previous comments that I have made on this thread about modding the mic. I went back and looked and I actually had the NT 1000 Rode mic modded, NOT the NT-1A. So I don't to what extent the OP's mic will benefit from such a mod.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've done my experiments with NT1-A and.. Mic placement is the Key
Old 1st December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Selling my Rode NT1-A Anniversary Edition microphone with the Michael Joly u87 mod in the classified section. $375
Old 2nd December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay ➡️
Selling my Rode NT1-A Anniversary Edition microphone with the Michael Joly u87 mod in the classified section. $375
I'd really like to try one (modded), but there are apparently none in Finland..
Old 3rd December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish ➡️
I'd really like to try one (modded), but there are apparently none in Finland..
Yeah they are pretty hard to come by overseas I would imagine. All the comparable mics I can think of would probably be expensive to ship.
ZEF
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by albabumba ➡️

i listened to your track man and it was well done. then reading the continuing mic search thread, the Blue Baby Bottle has some interesting reviews, very quiet, sensitive! 33.mv/pa! yikes.....one reviewer says pay close attention to mic placement. If its that sensitive you'll need a good room or its going to pickup the neighbors tv dang..Sounds like a great mic. under your budget is good too.

$600- $159BBB....dang you can still get some more gear! You could still grab a SM7 to try but (or a SM57 very similar) you'll need some good-gain...or start shoppin preamps.

also you mention different mics for different applications, thats probably the reality....theres not one mic that gets #1 award in every category.

it seems maybe the Focusrite Solo pre's might be next to be upgraded, like someone mentioned earlier isa one or daking level. Trade your NT1A in on the pre and get a Dual Channel? Preamps are probably easier to buy used than a mic imo they dont have the fragile diaphragm and all that, dropped kicked spit in left in the rain..... BlackLion Auteur?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay ➡️
I had the same mod done on my pair of NT1-A. It doesn’t make them 87s, but it makes them very good LDC mics with no bad habits. Still exceptionally quiet and none of the NT1-A screamy sibilance and harshness. That’s a very good price.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
I had the same mod done on my pair of NT1-A. It doesn’t make them 87s, but it makes them very good LDC mics with no bad habits. Still exceptionally quiet and none of the NT1-A screamy sibilance and harshness. That’s a very good price.
Yep! Nothing in common with a u87 in my honest opinion. More modern sounding. Open, detailed, no sibilance and allows vocals to cut through busy mixes easy. I cant remember the last time Ive needed a de-esser with that mic. I did find that if used in a bad room it would accentuate those mid peaky frequencies though, so as long as there is some treatment it is a great starter mic if those attributes are what you are looking for. I think it also fairly priced including free shipping, unfortunately the competition is stiff with all the new budget friendly mics lol.

It was time to upgrade and I wanted something warmer, with more weight (vintage sounding).
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, with mic placement I've got some quite nice results with Rode NT1-A.
Mic -> GAP Pre-73 -> GAP 54-compressor.
I've recorded the album but it's mixed/mastered elsewhere. Just some slight sibilance here and there, but it's also clear and articulate at the same time. Stands out in a good way. Best money I've spent on a mic so far!

RODE NT1-A Not Satisfied.-rodezanna.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
RODE NT1-A Not Satisfied.-rodezanna.jpg  
Old 8th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 4373f97 ➡️
>>>I think that the NT1000 is way better at vocals than a nt1-a<<<
I always felt like the NT1000 was under-appreciated.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just bought a used NT2-A just to have a stock mic to see how it compares to my collection of frankenmics. I have nothing to compare them to on my setup. It sounds pretty darn good passed through some transformers and a compressor. The high end is a bit flattering, but in a good way. Totally usable in my setup.
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
NT2s are not NT1s. Rode makes some mics I like, and one I don’t.
Old 4th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hey, if anyone wants to take a listen I have loads of comparisons on youtube, check 'em out.
YouTube
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This is an old thread I see, but since you were talking about the NT-1A and modding it, I wanted to point out that there were a couple of models, the NT-1 and the newer NT-1A. Jim Williams, a person who is rather brilliant regarding modding gear and who also posts here on occasion, was the designer of the original NT-1. He has actually posted a few things about it over the years. Of note, the first ones (the NT-1 not the NT1-A) had a rather thick fiberglass circuit board, 1/8" thick (these were the ones he thought were worth modding (his original design) - but - he suggested really only one change to the circuit over the stock version. This was to add a larger cap (silver mica) that would remove some top end to aid in the sibilance issues if ppl were taking issue. And I agree, in the stock form, these mics were bright and cutting. I think this involved replacing a 500pf cap with a 1500pf cap but it's been a while. Search around here on Gearsluts and you will find the conversation. I have two early versions and I did this to both, along with replacing the original mic capsule with an AK47 version from AdvancedAudio (AA) and changing the original headgrill. The mics are much improved and are keepers and compare favorably to my more expensive mics. BTW, the early ones had a rather strange rubber/latex capsule support and the capsules were 34mm where the replacements are typically 32mm, so, there is some adaption work to be done. What I did was cut the rubber/latex surround in half at the horizontal position and pierce the rubber/latex to accept two screws that mount the new capsule. Pretty straight ahead and FWIW the capsule is easily more shock isolated that a typical solid mount. All the Best.
Old 30th October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
set them up as a coincident pair, then blend them together when you mix the song

Old 31st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First, your track is really over processed. The vocals sound clean but the compression is way too much.

My NT1-A is from 2005, I don't know how much they changed but I don't think it is thin. It can sound thin on thin voices, it doesn't thicken anything, but it's pretty true to the ear (IMO) on that. It has other issues and it often isn't a great fit for a higher pitched male voice, hard "s"/sibiliance and pops on "p" for untrained vocalist. It is far from a universal mic, but I don't think it is particularly thin myself.

The last verse of this song (about 2:08 into the track) was done in my home studio with an NT1a:

https://soundcloud.com/3rddegreebeat...1-g-nut-master
Old 8th November 2020
Here for the gear

Rode NT1 or Lewitt 440 pure

Both mics cost a little more approx double the Rode NT1-a (and the Sony SM7B) double again)...

You could try the obvious set mic off axis some 15 degrees or more as required... turn up gain on your pre amp that’s before the compressor before you digital audio interface ... I use a Safe Sound Audio P1 which with a little judicious use of its expander works wonders... it’s not the mic it’s how you use it.

That said I love the the Rode NT1 is darker and less toppy like an old Neuman U47 - the Lewitt 440 Pure is an absolutely steal = I mention to a $1,300 Neuman 103 territory indistinguishable for a fraction of the money...
Old 15th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I picked up a 90s, first-gen Rode NT-1 and did the simple Jim Williams cap mod on it and it sounds pretty good for the $100USD or so it cost.

The capacitor mod is about as easy as it gets, even replacing the plug on an instrument cable is more difficult. You could probably pull it off without even using desoldering braid if you were careful.
📝 Reply