Quantcast
Opinions about Neewer Microphones - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinions about Neewer Microphones
Old 9th July 2017
Here for the gear

Opinions about Neewer Microphones

Hey there,

have any of you already made experiences with those dirt cheap microphones sold by Neewer? The company appears to be very present in the low end tech sector since quite a while.

I wonder how their mics perform (compared to the cheaper ATs or Rodes e.g.) and why they sell their kits so dirt cheap. Is there actually any profit margin on those? Wouldn't that require literally no quality assurance at all such as the lowest components available on the market?
What about the longevity and failure rate?

There are also some cheaper mics from Auna which are quite appreciated by some beginners, as well.

Any opinions about their overall quality?
I am just asking because some people often recommend those for lower end VoIP usage instead of headset mics and would like to know, whether they are technically crap or actually kind of usable for the price.

Best wishes,
P.R.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I bought a Neewer NW700 because it was so cheap on Amazon ($19.99). I was shocked how good it sounded so I ordered another one, the second unit was awful, dull in the highs, no balls, really junk.

I returned the bad one because it sounded so awful, I got a replacement, it was terrible too.

Microphone-parts.com offers rebuild kits for these, apparently the capsules in the stock ones have zero quality control. The fact that a good sounding one escaped from their factory is a fluke, 99% of them don't sound good. I won't be ordering Neewer microphones again.

I own three Neewer photographic lights, they are some of the lightest weight lamps I've ever seen, a slight wind will blow one over very easily but they do a good job of lighting the studio and all three lights together cost under $100 which is under half of what just one of my pro soft box lights cost.

Sometimes cheap is ok but rarely is it great.

Good music to all!
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback ➡️
I bought a Neewer NW700 because it was so cheap on Amazon ($19.99). I was shocked how good it sounded so I ordered another one, the second unit was awful, dull in the highs, no balls, really junk.

I returned the bad one because it sounded so awful, I got a replacement, it was terrible too.

Microphone-parts.com offers rebuild kits for these, apparently the capsules in the stock ones have zero quality control. The fact that a good sounding one escaped from their factory is a fluke, 99% of them don't sound good. I won't be ordering Neewer microphones again.

I own three Neewer photographic lights, they are some of the lightest weight lamps I've ever seen, a slight wind will blow one over very easily but they do a good job of lighting the studio and all three lights together cost under $100 which is under half of what just one of my pro soft box lights cost.

Sometimes cheap is ok but rarely is it great.

Good music to all!
Ha! Clicked on this thread because I literally yesterday purchased Neewer LED photography lights for my wife's studio. Thanks Foldback, hopefully they pan out, we knew we were taking a shot!

I honestly almost cancelled the order when I saw their $30 weird gold condenser mics... I could "hear" them through the internet... and winced.
Old 11th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi Roesler ➡️
Hey there,

have any of you already made experiences with those dirt cheap microphones sold by Neewer? The company appears to be very present in the low end tech sector since quite a while.

I wonder how their mics perform (compared to the cheaper ATs or Rodes e.g.) and why they sell their kits so dirt cheap. Is there actually any profit margin on those? Wouldn't that require literally no quality assurance at all such as the lowest components available on the market?

There are also some cheaper mics from Auna which are quite appreciated by some beginners, as well.

I am just asking because some people often recommend those for lower end VoIP usage instead of headset mics and would like to know, whether they are technically crap or actually kind of usable for the price.

Best wishes,
P.R.

As mentioned, their quality varies greatly due to the lack of QC. Some are good, most are not. Not sure about longevity of the internal components themselves but the actually bodies of the mics are pretty fragile. I know that at least one of their more popular models uses a plastic grill, if that puts it in perspective.

Their business model seems to be to make money in volume by being ubiquitous. They're the solution for anyone who doesn't really know audio very well and/or doesn't want to invest much in their setup. I'd say usability is sufficient when you just need something to capture sound.

- Kris
Old 11th July 2017
Here for the gear

Many thanks for your personal impressions!

I guess the QC is of course what could finally break the deal for people looking for a very cheap microphone.
However, there are a lot of positive reviews praising the build quality ("solid metal") and the price to performance ratio. Especially on YouTube. I wonder how many of them were free (and maybe even selected) samples offered by the manufacturer himself.

Qualitywise I am particularly skeptical towards the signal routing. Neewer feeds their mics by an 18V power supply and bundles them with a XLR to TRS cable for the popular 3.5mm onboard respectively soundcard inputs. There might be a lot of self noise and inteference added by a) the super cheap power supply and b) the usually rather cheap 3.5mm inputs.

There are also some other sets by other manufacturers such as Auna or t.bone (at least in my region) that are probably build on the same base:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardioid-Co.../dp/B00GZ3SH1U

I am curious about their performance and technical aspects, as well. Some praise it as some of the best entry-level mics.
Is it all the same crap with just a slightly different housing?

Personally I'd rather recommend something like a used AT 2020 right away
But who knows...
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Many thanks for your personal impressions!

I guess the QC is of course what could finally break the deal for people looking for a very cheap microphone.
However, there are a lot of positive reviews praising the build quality ("solid metal") and the price to performance ratio. Especially on YouTube. I wonder how many of them were free (and maybe even selected) samples offered by the manufacturer himself.

Qualitywise I am particularly skeptical towards the signal routing. Neewer feeds their mics by an 18V power supply and bundles them with a XLR to TRS cable for the popular 3.5mm onboard respectively soundcard inputs. There might be a lot of self noise and inteference added by a) the super cheap power supply and b) the usually rather cheap 3.5mm inputs.

There are also some other sets by other manufacturers such as Auna or t.bone (at least in my region) that are probably build on the same base:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardioid-Co.../dp/B00GZ3SH1U

I am curious about their performance and technical aspects, as well. Some praise it as some of the best entry-level mics.
Is it all the same crap with just a slightly different housing?

Personally I'd rather recommend something like a used AT 2020 right away
But who knows...
These cheap NW700/BM700/BM800 ones use an electret mic element that can sound alright but far from great. Circuit description and mods here Modding a BM-800 Mic. The AT electrets are a whole other story. One step above the cheap electrets are the low end "real" condenser mics, I have a Chord CCM1 and it is pretty impressive. It's the same thing as an Apex 435 and the t.bone SC400 https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_...mbranmikro.htm. I would highly recommend one of those over the super cheap electrets. This one's probably the same too http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-...icrophone/10GR
Old 29th May 2021
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey there,

Best wishes,
P.R.
I have not used one, but recent online sound clips for the slightly more upscale Neewer NW-410 sound quite plausible in comparison to the competition. For example, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HuDqLJAwA. Obviously, I can't speak to the quality control.
📝 Reply