Quantcast
Behringer ADA8200 - After a full day of work - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer ADA8200 - After a full day of work
Old 23rd November 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Behringer ADA8200 - After a full day of work

Yesterday I received my Behringer ADA8200. I just wanted to post my thoughts about it here in case anyone else is considering buying one.

I recently did a major update to my room. One of the biggest changes was getting rid of my Tascam DM-3200 and 192 (analog) and moving to to an Omni HD and a Command 8. I also upgraded my monitors from 308s to KH-120s.

The change was drastic, but I didn't like having such a large console that I only used as a control surface and for monitoring. The Omni HD/Command 8 setup is much nicer to work with for me.

The big issue I had is the limited amount of IO on the Omni. When I had two 192s (analog and digital) I had everything labeled in PT and recording and mixing was really simple. For a few months I had my pres and outboard wired to a patchbay, but since the Omni only has four analog ins it wasn't all that great.

I thought about buying a used 192 and also looked at a new HD 8x8x8 (still the dream) but the price is pretty high.

Years ago I had used the ADA8000 with a Nuendo/Houston setup. The 8000 was pretty good but I had some issues with the clock syncing and I also had some issues with the stepped volume controls not being precise enough to dial in when using outboard. The knobs also felt kind of cheesy.

The 8200 cost me $165 shipped to my door (AMS), so I figured it would be worth a shot. The main reason I got it was just to run three channels (2 WA-EQPs and a WA-76) into PT as named inserts.

First off, setup was a breeze. I just selected ADAT and plugged the cables into the Omni. It showed up perfectly as it was supposed to. I hooked the cables up and it worked exactly like it should. It's silent (I have the volume knobs all the way down) and I can't tell any difference from when I was using my 192.

The build quality is slightly better than the 8000. The knobs feel way better and they're not stepped.

Just for fun I decided to try the preamps out. I don't think I'll ever use them, but it's nice to know I can if I need to. They sound fine. They're quiet and clean. I would say they're pretty similar to the preamps in my old 3200. You're not going to get any color out of them, but they're certainly usable and sound a lot better than they should for this price. If you're on a budget or just need some utility preamps I can't imagine anyone not liking these.

The line signal still goes through the preamps but I can't hear anything bad from that. I do have the knobs turned all the way down, so maybe if you were using a line source that needed some makeup gain it would be an issue.

All in all a solid 9/10 and an amazing value - especially when you consider that there aren't a whole lot of boxes that do what this does.

If I could change anything it would be having the line inputs on the back (maybe DB-25s for both ins and outs - but that's probably not the demographic for this) and having the ability to bypass the preamp (although I don't see that as being necessary).

If you need a nice 8 channel convertor/preamp I would highly recommend this one.

* I may end up adding longer ADAT cables and hooking it to my 192 Digital to get access to all 8 inputs but right now I don't need to.
Old 23rd November 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Duke Murdock's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I use mine clocked with an Orion32 as a sort of swiss army knife to shuttle signals in and out and I haven't had anything to complain about. If there is additional noise and degradation to the signal, I can't hear it. Until I stop liking the results of coming out and going back in more than leaving it in the box in the first place I will continue to use it.
Old 28th November 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
texasguitar903's Avatar
I too utilize the 8200 for outboard gear, do you guys notice that you have to turn the preamp up to 10:00 to achieve unity gain? I ran a +dbu tone through my system to try and calibrate my vu meters and pres.
Old 14th January 2017
  #4
Deleted ee61a28
Guest
I have babyface pro and use the ada8200 adat for extra in's for sketching. I connect outboard gear I plan to record midi and sketch my arrangements.
Once I get something I like, I commit to the live instruments using the babyface pro and outside preamp ... then when I get audio down, I re-route midi instruments through outboard preamp/babyface signal path and commit them to audio. I can play with external effects units to save resources this way and I'm working at a non-committal pace recording when ready just to get best sound.

Works great for me - Don't know I'd record using the ADA8200 as the babyface pro sounds awesome with my outboard gear being portico mic pres and tape saturation, but it's great to have more in's to arrange with ...
Old 15th January 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I own 2 of these with a profire 2626 works great for routing out to outboard gear and reamping things.
Old 15th January 2017 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 ➡️
I own 2 of these with a profire 2626 works great for routing out to outboard gear and reamping things.
Funny, I use this setup but with a micrclock III and the 2626 and one of the 8000's (mine are both 8000's which I understand to have better power supplies then the 8200) are BLA modded.
All to 24 channel line mixer and print to a DAD 2402
back on the SPDIF. I also use as backup input for large tracking sessions
but always with external micpres.
Its really a surprisingly good record and playback rig.
As stock, the last 8 channels, when externally clocked
and as line input or out, are pretty useful.

They run hot, to the point I worry of the lifespan of
these and turn off when not in use.

Where's that Behringer vs Lynx thread?
That was an eye-opener...
Old 16th January 2017
  #7
Gear Nut
 
rokko101's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I got two of them and sent them back. Sound was fine but there was a faint hum in all channels.

Last edited by rokko101; 16th January 2017 at 06:22 PM..
Old 16th January 2017
  #8
Gear Addict
 
Gitaarwerk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I recently got an ada8000. Because it has a linear psu instead of switching. They are sounding better imho. However. I have some issues with it. My synths keep overdriving them fairly easy... Im wondering if i should DI them. Its mostly my cheaper synths that do it. I run them into my uad apollo interface. Some are directly into apollo. I had dome clock issues too, then it appeared to be that my expensive optical cable was the booboo. Cheap 2euro cable fixed that.

Not entirely sure if im really happy with them yet. I got it for cheap, so not much harm done :-)

If ypu got tips how to not overdrive them... I can put limiters/compressors in while tracking, however, after the gain stage...
Old 5th April 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I just wanted to bump this thread. Since I have a pair of WA-EQPs that are a little off in terms of gain I was looking at some of the ways to add trim pots to match them up.

Some places offer a mod for this and I have seen inline pads that can be used to perform this function. Being the idiot I am I finally realized I could send a test tone through them in PT and just use the gain knob. Now they're perfectly matched.

Another use for a great piece of gear that I don't even think about - and love more all the time!
Old 5th April 2017
  #10
Reviews Editor
 
Diogo C's Avatar
I've recently added the ADA8200 to my setup so I could hook up more synths and it's doing great so far. No-brainer if you're short on money and need more I/O.

To honor my inner gearslut-ism I'm clocking it with my BMC-2, but I have to test if it's making any difference!
Old 5th April 2017 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Addict
 
Gitaarwerk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c ➡️
I've recently added the ADA8200 to my setup so I could hook up more synths and it's doing great so far. No-brainer if you're short on money and need more I/O.

To honor my inner gearslut-ism I'm clocking it with my BMC-2, but I have to test if it's making any difference!

I'm curious about your result. I wish to exchange my ADA8000 because the trim pots are horrible and the headroom is not good at all. It sounds grainy. But then again, it could also be my apollo firewire
Old 5th April 2017 | Show parent
  #12
Reviews Editor
 
Diogo C's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk ➡️
I'm curious about your result. I wish to exchange my ADA8000 because the trim pots are horrible and the headroom is not good at all. It sounds grainy. But then again, it could also be my apollo firewire
Trim pots on the 8200 are "meh" at best. They're made of plastic and don't seem to be too firm, some are more firm than others but none of them are loose, which is good. I've calibrated mine with a test tone so I don't have to touch them anymore, leaving all volume adjustments to be made on the synths.

Headroom is pretty good on the line inputs, no complaints there. Sound quality seems good too, I was used to have my Evolver on the Babyface Pro and now it's on the ADA8200. Haven't noticed a difference to be honest.

I haven't used the mic pres since I hardly record more than two mics on my studio, using the Babyface Pro's awesome clean pres for that.

I'll try to record something with the different clocking options as soon as I can and post here.
Old 6th April 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 
Has anyone tried the modded version?
Old 6th June 2017 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic ➡️
Has anyone tried the modded version?
I don't think I've seen one thread here with a modded ADA8200. I'm assuming you're talking about the Black Lion Mod?

I've got the mod arriving tomorrow. I'll be sure to post what I think. Unfortunately I won't have an original to side by side it, but I have two ways I can compare. One, I noticed a large 150hz hum on the 8200.. it was not a mains hum as it is the only piece of hardware I have that does it. I mean it's not noticeable unless you crank the monitors all the way, but the rest of the noise on that unit looks at least 10 db lower than the level of the 150hz hum. I'm hoping the BLA mod fixes that.

The second way I'm going to test is with a mix I did right before I sent the unit out to be modded. Half the mix went through the 8200 so I should be able to hear what the mod does to the mix. I havent touched any of the hardware since I sent the unit out to be modded so it should be a fair comparison.
Old 7th June 2017
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
can someone clear this up for me please...?

id like to get one to add the adat outputs of my zen tour to a patchbay. if I connect adat out to the ada8200 adat in the signal will leave the analog outputs without any usb/clocking needed...? is there another connection needed for this to work? I am only interested in it for this specific use. would another piece be better for this solution?

Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mack ➡️
can someone clear this up for me please...?

id like to get one to add the adat outputs of my zen tour to a patchbay. if I connect adat out to the ada8200 adat in the signal will leave the analog outputs without any usb/clocking needed...? is there another connection needed for this to work? I am only interested in it for this specific use. would another piece be better for this solution?

Your wording was a little confusing, but bottom line is the 8200 will need some sort of clocking.. you can set the 8200 to receive the clock from the incoming ADAT signal, or you can clock it via bnc. Once it comes out of the analog outputs, it should be in sync with the rest of your audio.
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 ➡️
I don't think I've seen one thread here with a modded ADA8200. I'm assuming you're talking about the Black Lion Mod?

I've got the mod arriving tomorrow. I'll be sure to post what I think. Unfortunately I won't have an original to side by side it, but I have two ways I can compare. One, I noticed a large 150hz hum on the 8200.. it was not a mains hum as it is the only piece of hardware I have that does it. I mean it's not noticeable unless you crank the monitors all the way, but the rest of the noise on that unit looks at least 10 db lower than the level of the 150hz hum. I'm hoping the BLA mod fixes that.

The second way I'm going to test is with a mix I did right before I sent the unit out to be modded. Half the mix went through the 8200 so I should be able to hear what the mod does to the mix. I havent touched any of the hardware since I sent the unit out to be modded so it should be a fair comparison.
Yeah, Black Lion. I`d love to hear about what you think of the mod.
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic ➡️
Yeah, Black Lion. I`d love to hear about what you think of the mod.
Opinions of them are hit or miss around here. Some people say snake oil, some people say it sounds like a blanket was lifted off the speakers. I already had the behringer and had to decide to spend 600 on another used converter or try and upgrade mine. Well I have always been curious about them so and wanted to hear for myself what they can do so I pulled the trigger. A little mad though because a week after I purchased the mod it went on sale for 20% off. Grrrrr. Hopefully I can hear a difference. I'll let you guys know today.
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 ➡️
Opinions of them are hit or miss around here. Some people say snake oil, some people say it sounds like a blanket was lifted off the speakers. I already had the behringer and had to decide to spend 600 on another used converter or try and upgrade mine. Well I have always been curious about them so and wanted to hear for myself what they can do so I pulled the trigger. A little mad though because a week after I purchased the mod it went on sale for 20% off. Grrrrr. Hopefully I can hear a difference. I'll let you guys know today.
I`m a believer in squeezing every last drop of goodness out of a piece of gear. Most everything I own is modded in one way or another. Some small, some "it`s not even the same piece of gear". I don`t think I`ve ever been disappointed. Maybe I`ve been lucky, maybe I choose wisely. But I do about 1/3 myself, 1/3 mod shops and 1/3 just bring the local repair shop the parts and they do it. The ultimate el-cheapo mod is replacing the 2 ceramic caps with film and FET with polystyrene on the pencil condenser MXL 991/CAD GXL 1200/ and many many more rebrandings of the exact same mic. WOW! Nice difference! I`d have gladly paid the extra dollar or two if you did that in the first place!

Oh yeah if you have one of these and are reading about this for the first time, and can`t wait to try it because you have little to lose, and a lot to gain, those screws screw INWARD to release the guts from the tubing . You`re VREY welcome.
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic ➡️
I`m a believer in squeezing every last drop of goodness out of a piece of gear. Most everything I own is modded in one way or another. Some small, some "it`s not even the same piece of gear". I don`t think I`ve ever been disappointed. Maybe I`ve been lucky, maybe I choose wisely. But I do about 1/3 myself, 1/3 mod shops and 1/3 just bring the local repair shop the parts and they do it. The ultimate el-cheapo mod is replacing the 2 ceramic caps with film and FET with polystyrene on the pencil condenser MXL 991/CAD GXL 1200/ and many many more rebrandings of the exact same mic. WOW! Nice difference! I`d have gladly paid the extra dollar or two if you did that in the first place!
I've contemplated learning about modding but I just don't have the time for a new hobby. Bet it's exciting though.. being able to upgrade gear yourself for a fraction of the cost.
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 ➡️
I've contemplated learning about modding but I just don't have the time for a new hobby. Bet it's exciting though.. being able to upgrade gear yourself for a fraction of the cost.
Love it! Got my own bench and workstation with every tool you could need. Nothing is handier than a 3rd hand, something about that never sounds quite right, but it`s true!
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 ➡️
Your wording was a little confusing, but bottom line is the 8200 will need some sort of clocking.. you can set the 8200 to receive the clock from the incoming ADAT signal, or you can clock it via bnc. Once it comes out of the analog outputs, it should be in sync with the rest of your audio.
Yes, sorry about that. I should have used arrows!

basically its Zen Tour Adat Out -> 8200 Adat In -> 8200 Analog Out -> Patchbay

never messed with Adat before so I'm trying to understand if any other clock or digital connection would be needed. Or could it operate in a 'standalone' style. If I understand your response correctly I can set the 8200 to receive everything it needs from the Adat cable alone. That is what I was hoping for.

Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #23
Gear Nut
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mack ➡️
Yes, sorry about that. I should have used arrows!

basically its Zen Tour Adat Out -> 8200 Adat In -> 8200 Analog Out -> Patchbay

never messed with Adat before so I'm trying to understand if any other clock or digital connection would be needed. Or could it operate in a 'standalone' style. If I understand your response correctly I can set the 8200 to receive everything it needs from the Adat cable alone. That is what I was hoping for.

Thanks!
Four years later, hahaha. But for future reference to this post, if you have the ada8200 entering and leaving the Zen tour via lightpipe cable, you must put the Ada 8200 rear switch in the -slave/adat in- position and the Zen tour as master within its configurations. The two SYNC LEDs on the front of the ADA 8200 show the status of the synchronization. When you put it in slave mode the led that says MASTER turns off and when it finds synchronization the led that says LOCKED turns on.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer ADA8200 - After a full day of work-ada-8200-clock-switch.jpg  
Attached Images
Behringer ADA8200 - After a full day of work-ada-8200-clock-led.jpg 

Last edited by PACHAMAMA; 2 weeks ago at 04:24 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Here for the gear
 
aymgoa's Avatar
 
Thank you very much

AYM
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 ➡️
I use this setup but with a micrclock III and the 2626 and one of the 8000's (mine are both 8000's which I understand to have better power supplies then the 8200) are BLA modded.
All to 24 channel line mixer and print to a DAD 2402
back on the SPDIF. I also use as backup input for large tracking sessions
but always with external micpres.
Its really a surprisingly good record and playback rig.
As stock, the last 8 channels, when externally clocked
and as line input or out, are pretty useful.

They run hot, to the point I worry of the lifespan of
these and turn off when not in use.

Where's that Behringer vs Lynx thread?
That was an eye-opener...
If we are updating this thread I have to call this post out.

The 8200 is the newer, cleaner, cooler running, better unit than the old 8000.

I've only used/owned the 8200 but I have never seen anyone claim the old 8000 was better in any way at all.

This along with the 8200 having the much cooler running switch mode power supply (rather than the hot running linear one in the old 8000) makes me think Stitch333 had flipped the info about the two units.

The 8200 is quite usable and a serious bargain for anyone on a budget needing eight channels of ADAT i/o.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
The 8200 is quite usable and a serious bargain for anyone on a budget needing eight channels of ADAT i/o.
+1

I just picked up a second one in mint condition off Reverb for €100. I reckoned that even if only half the channels were working it was still worth it, but it turned out to be immaculate and fully functional. Score!

For sure these 8200 run way cooler than the older 8000. I also think the newer model seems to clock and stay in sync better, but I don't have any hard evidence to support that - just my impression, having owned both at one stage or another.

One thing I will say is that there's just no way the ADA8200 preamps are the claimed +60dB; either that or there's something unusual with the impedance of the 'Midas' design - the same mic into a decent pre, even a 1202VLZ will sound much hotter. For me that's not an issue as I have loads of preamp options and rarely need these pre's, but someone planning to run dynamic mics for quiet dialogue through an 8200 might be in for disappointment (albeit probably no more so than for just about every other cheap interface out there with lousy gain).

Again, that has to be considered in view of the almost ridiculous overall value of this unit. I think most owners realise that and use these ubiquitous low-cost boxes for non mission-critical 'overflow' tasks in and outwith the studio.

I use my first 8200 only for the D-A section which to my ears is more than acceptable; this second unit I plan to deploy on additional drumkit mics etc, expanding my remote recording track-count from 10 to 18.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 6 days ago at 09:12 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #27
Utility Devices
 
Utility Devices - Adam's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Echo most of the thoughts in this thread. I use them at unity gain (ish) with a nice old desk and an RME interface. I have them at about 10 o clock from what I remember. Never noticed any real downsides apart from the fact that I hate ADAT cables but when they're plugged in they stay plugged in (mostly).

Never noticed that they claim +60db but that's wild. I'll have to test it next time I'm down at the studio.
Old 1 week ago
  #28
Lives for gear
I never attempted to measure the gain on the micpreamps but they seemed like the gain was even more towards the end of the range than most.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were more like fifty something db rather than sixty though.

Plenty enough gain for recording most stuff however. I've used the micpre's on drums, electric guitar, and mic'd electric bass and was happy with the level and the sound.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
What are we in junior high school?
‘Call me out’?
I used both: they both are ok if used with a good external clock and external micpre and good conditioned power.
But I’ve also use: prism sound, Lavry, burl, Apollo, 2” tape machines, cut vinyl on a scully lathe, used ADATs, DATs, DSD recorders etc...
All in professional sessions.
If you are judging on internet comments
To compare gear, you should really Use the gear in a real professional setting to get a good idea of how it performs.

But hey: if you got Jimi Hendrix’s reincarnated
Fresh soul in your live room, you could cut to a tascam 688 and it would lit af.

As always, YMMV


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
If we are updating this thread I have to call this post out.

The 8200 is the newer, cleaner, cooler running, better unit than the old 8000.

I've only used/owned the 8200 but I have never seen anyone claim the old 8000 was better in any way at all.

This along with the 8200 having the much cooler running switch mode power supply (rather than the hot running linear one in the old 8000) makes me think Stitch333 had flipped the info about the two units.

The 8200 is quite usable and a serious bargain for anyone on a budget needing eight channels of ADAT i/o.

Last edited by Stitch333; 6 days ago at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Misspelled
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 ➡️
What are we in junior high school?
‘Call me out’?
I used both: they both are ok if used with a good external clock and external micpre and good conditioned power.
But I’ve also use: prism sound, Lavry, burl, Apollo, 2” tape machines, cut vinyl on a scully lathe, used ADATs, DATs, DSD recorders etc...
All in professional sessions.
If you are judging on internet comments
To compare gear, you should really Use the gear in a real professional setting to get a good idea of how it performs.

But hey: if you got Jimi Hendrix’s reincarnated
Fresh soul in your live room, you could cut to a tascam 688 and it would lit af.

As always, YMMV
Sorry you seem to feel this is some sort of personal attack when that was not my intent.

I simply called out your post because it seems rather confusing.

Do you agree that the newer ADA8200 is the cleaner, cooler running, better sounding unit compared to the old ADA8000... or the opposite???
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 604 views: 354388
Avatar for citytape
citytape 1st August 2021
replies: 84 views: 69187
Avatar for Melodnb
Melodnb 2nd July 2012
replies: 2427 views: 422450
Avatar for funka
funka 6 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump